kkkkatie126
Corgi_Attack

Raise Minimum Wage to 15$ an hour

Corgi_Attack has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

kkkkatie126

Pro

First round is whether or not you accept the debate. The current minimum wage is 8$ an hour. I'm arguing that we should raise it to 15$ an hour, you're arguing that we should keep it at 8$ and that the Fight for 15 is nonsense.
Corgi_Attack

Con

Hello kkkkatie126, thank you for starting this debate. I look forward to an interesting and educational discussion (I accept this debate). I assume we will use the conventional definitions of terms such as minimum wage.

I will not argue that raising the minimum wage is compete nonsense. What I am going to prove is that increasing the minimum wage to $15 an hour will bring more harm than good. Throughout this debate, I will show significant disadvantages to a national minimum wage hike. These numerous disadvantages will outweigh any potential benefits.

I await your arguments in the next round.
kkkkatie126

Pro

Raising the minimum wage would increase economic activity and spur job growth. The Economic Policy Institute stated that a minimum wage increase from the current rate of $7.25 an hour to $10.10 would inject $22.1 billion net into the economy and create about 85,000 new jobs over a three-year phase-in period. Economists from the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago predicted that a $1.75 rise in the federal minimum wage would increase aggregate household spending by $48 billion the following year, thus boosting GDP and leading to job growth. A 1994 study by economists Alan Krueger, PhD, and David Card, PhD, compared employment in the fast food industry after New Jersey raised its minimum wage by 80 cents, while Pennsylvania did not. Krueger and Card observed that job growth in the fast food industry was similar in both states, and found "no indication that the rise in the minimum wage reduced employment." Their findings were corroborated by economists Hristos Doucouliagos, PhD, and T.D. Stanley, PhD, in a review of 64 minimum wage studies. The authors found "little or no evidence of a negative association between minimum wages and employment."

Increasing the minimum wage would reduce poverty. A person working full time at the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour earns $15,080 in a year, which is 20% higher than the 2015 federal poverty level of $12,331 for a one-person household under 65 years of age but 8% below the 2015 federal poverty level of $16,337 for a single-parent family with a child under 18 years of age. According to a 2014 Congressional Budget Office report, increasing the minimum wage to $9 would lift 300,000 people out of poverty, and an increase to $10.10 would lift 900,000 people out of poverty. A 2013 study by University of Massachusetts at Amherst economist Arindrajit Dube, PhD, estimated that increasing the minimum wage to $10.10 is "projected to reduce the number of non-elderly living in poverty by around 4.6 million, or by 6.8 million when longer term effects are accounted for."
Corgi_Attack

Con

Looks like this debate is canceled.
kkkkatie126

Pro

Debate officially cancelled.
Posted by kkkkatie126 1 year ago
kkkkatie126
Oh shut up.
Posted by bballcrook21 1 year ago
bballcrook21
Pro plagiarized her arguments from this site.

http://minimum-wage.procon.org...
Posted by Yozavad 1 year ago
Yozavad
I'm confused
Posted by BlargArgNarg 1 year ago
BlargArgNarg
Wait what happened lmao?
Posted by kkkkatie126 1 year ago
kkkkatie126
This debate is cancelled cause Corgi's a jerk.
Posted by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
If you're only going to start a debate just to forfeit it, then what's the point? Assuming, that something hasn't happened in real life, that is. It'd be understandable if you're forfeiting because of something that happened in real life.
Posted by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
Oh, come on. Actually try to win. Don't just forfeit and throw it away.
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
We can just cancel this debate if u want. Sorry if I offended u
Posted by kkkkatie126 1 year ago
kkkkatie126
I forfeit this debate. You win.
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
Disregard my last comment lol