Raise Walmart's lowest paid associates pay $1-2 per hour in the USA.

Started: 11/3/2015 Category: Economics

I Pro will argue for the topic
Con against the topic.

The company Walmart calls its employees associates. Quite simply in the USA the lowest associate on the totem pole doesn't get paid enough. Please urge Walmart to raise their pay.

I accept this debate, but what my opponent has failed to do is provide any resources of this "lowest paid" associate.

So until he provides some evidence I will not argue until then.

"How Walmart's Bosses Get Rich off Welfare Abuse"Carl Gibson[1]

"Employee wages are so low that during the last holiday season, one Walmart in Ohio held a food drive for its own employees so they could have a decent Thanksgiving dinner. This video of Walmart workers sharing their own stories in time for last year"s Black Friday protests included footage of one worker talking about how other workers often had to loan each other money so they could pay their bills on time." Carl Gibson[1]

Same story huffington post [2]

"Walmart"s low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15." Clare O'Connor [3]

The lowest paid associate is a cashier being paid $7.58 an hour. [4]

"The Average Associate Annual Salary is $18,000." [5]

Sorry I have been late to post.

What kind of argument is this? You have not posted an argument just a bunch of quotes. See here voter, Pro has failed to explain his reasoning, he has just posted links and quotes without giving an explanation, reasoning, etc. I don't understand your argument because you haven't explained anything and you have left me and the voter with nothing to go off of but quotes taken out of articles.

The problem is you are not fighting for your resolution:
"Raise Walmart's lowest paid associates pay $1-2 per hour in the USA."

My opponent has promised me a debate where he will provide me Walmart's lowest paid associates are paid $1-2 per hour. The problem is he hasn't provided any sources. In fact he has gone against his own resolution by saying...

"The lowest paid associate is a cashier being paid $7.58 an hour. [4]

"The Average Associate Annual Salary is $18,000." [5]"

... He has even proven evidence against himself. Voter, if my opponent proves himself wrong then you have no choice but to vote for Con because I have the evidence that the lowest paid associate is $7.58 when he has proven nothing for the $1-2 minimum wage.

Even thou he wishes to raise the minimum wage, he has deceived the you, the voter and me into thinking that the lowest paid employee is paid $1-2 per hour.

So in conclusion of Round 2 I ask you to take in consideration that:
1. Pro has failed to give us an argument
2. Pro has gone against his own case.

Resolution: Raise Walmart's lowest paid associates pay $1-2 per hour in the USA.

Key word here, raise. The lowest paid associate is a cashier at $7.58. The cashier's pay should be raised $1-2 so that the cashier is paid a total of $8.58-$9.58 an hour.

Sorry, my mistake for not understanding the resolution.

But you still have made one crucial mistake. You have nothing for me to argue. You have posted no argument. Just sources and quotes. You do understand in a debate posting quotes is totally pointless because you give no reasoning behind them? If you explained and showed how the quotes supported your arguments then that would be good. But yet you have failed to do so.

So heres why Walmart SHOULD NOT raise its price to $1-2.

1. You don't have to work at Walmart.
- Walmart is a business. That is it. It isn't the government. We have the right in the U.S.A (which I suppose is where you are talking about.) Business's can create whatever payment for their employees if they wish. If they don't like it, then they can get another job or quit.

2. Raising prices wouldn't change anything.
- Common economic knowledge. If one place raises the minimum wage, then others will, therefore increasing the price of items all around the country/state. So doing this won't make much of a difference.

3. Walmart is entry level work and it isn't a true skill to be deserved of a higher raise.
- Anybody can work at Walmart. It takes no true skill to have a living wage. If someone had a skill such as an enjineer, artist, etc. Then those are living wage jobs because you demonstrate potential and not just putting items on a shelf or bagging someones groceries.

Voter keep this in mind, I have shown arguments and sources to back up my arguments. What my opponent has failed to do is present an argument for his case. Simply putting quotes without any explanation is a big no-no when it comes to debate.

Thank you!