Cold-Mind
RainbowDash52

Raise salaries of teachers in Serbia

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

Cold-Mind

Pro

Currently teachers in Serbia are paid about 650 USD monthly (on which high taxes are applied). I will argue that their salaries should be raised.
RainbowDash52

Con

I don't believe the salary of teachers in Serbia should be raised. If the teachers in Serbia really want a better salary, then they should find a different job that pays better. If it turns out their teaching job pays better than other jobs they can get, then they are getting paid relatively well and it doesn't make sense to further increase their salary. Either way there is no good reason to increase their pay.
Cold-Mind

Pro

*) Some teachers are teaching better then others.

1) People who like their job are on average doing better then people who don't like their job. Many people who like the job of teacher will quit cause low pay.

2) In order to earn more money, teachers are holding private classes. They could possibly use time they spent on private classes preparing for their next lecture in regular school, or they could use that time for relaxing.

3) Kids would respect and admire teachers more if they were earning more. Naturally, everyone wants to learn from successful person.
RainbowDash52

Con

1) There is nothing wrong with teachers quitting their job because of low pay, as long as someone else is willing to take their place.

2) Unless you can give evidence to support that teachers would use extra spare time to prepare for their next lecture, it can't be assumed. If a teacher really wanted work less hours for the same pay, he or she should have picked a different career that pays better.

3.) More pay doesn't result in more respect. For example, lawyers make lots of money but are not well respected. Besides, respect and admiration for teachers should be based on the teachers' teaching skills, not how much they are paid.
Cold-Mind

Pro

My opponent's 1) is disproved by my *)

2) I said "could possibly", my opponent irrationally asked me to give evidence they "would", since I never claimed they would.

3) Lawyers are known for lying. That makes people respect them less. I wasn't suggesting earning more alone results in respect. I said being successful results in respect. Earning more is a factor in being successful. For the sake of argument I will name some well respected successful people: Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Aristotle... And ask my opponent to name non-successful well admired people.
RainbowDash52

Con

My opponents *) only states that some teachers teach better than others. Unless it is the case that the teachers who quit are better teachers than their replacements, my opponents *) does not disprove my 1). And no evidence has been put forth to support that it is the case that the teachers who quit are better teachers than their replacements. My opponent's argument 1) from round 2 does not support the claim because although my opponent pointed out many teachers who like their job, whom correlates with good teacher, will quit due to low pay, my opponent never argued the the number of good teachers quitting due to low pay will outnumber the number of bad teachers quitting due to low pay, thus the argument that the average teacher quitting due to low pay is a better teacher than their replacement has not been made. Thus my argument was not disproved.

2) My opponent didn't give evidence to support his claim, so my opponent's argument was based on speculation on what might be true.

3) Now my opponent is arguing that success results in respect, which is not at all contrary to what I argued. I argued that more pay doesn't result in more respect. Whether or not being successful results in respect is irrelevant to the argument.

Saying earning more is a factor in success, and being successful results in respect, therefor earning more is a factor in increases to your respect is the logical equivalence of saying being taller is a factor in how much you weigh, and weighing more increases your health problems, therefor being taller is a factor in increases to your health problems. It is a logically flawed argument.