lgennarelli
serval

Raise the Driving Age

serval

lgennarelli

Pro

The driving age is way too low. In some states kids can drive as young as 14. The amount of car accidents that happen with minors is off the charts. Kids are allowed to start driving as they are just starting to mature. There are way too many car accidents with the youth, kids should only be allowed to get their permit at seventeen and then a license by eighteen, but to allow children just entering their teens to drive is ridiculous. Many kids look forward to getting their license, and wish they could get it at a younger age, but they are still just kids. They are too immature to be allowed to start driving. They should take a lecture driving course before even being allowed to enter a car. When it comes to the driving age we are way too lenient. The driving age should be raised so we can lower the amount of accidents caused by teens.
serval

Con

Pro started with mentioning that some children as young as fourteen start to drive - this is a commonly misunderstood fact. The driving age in most states is 17-18, the misunderstanding comes from 'exceptions'. Minors that are younger than seventeen can take a early formal driver's educations course that will allow them to get their license early (all while having to pass the tests given by the Secretary of Sate, of course.)

Pro also stated about the out of control numbers for teen car crashes. For one, teens are four times more likely to get in a car accident than adults - and that's only because of their lack of experience compared to those of someone in their 30's. Raising the driving age would not solve any of this, but merely raise the popular age group for most car accidents. On another note, most teen accidents happen due to drinking, which I find ironic as you have another debate up saying the drinking age should be LOWERED.

Not enough characters for links, sorry.
lgennarelli

Pro

I do have a debate for lowering the drinking age, but that is for totally different reasons. You can read my supporting information in that debate.
Con, you state that I have a misconception about the driving age, yet in one of your source links it states that people between the ages of 15-24 are the cause of 30% of motor vehicle accidents. So I do not know where you get your information about 17 and 18 year olds.
Additionally, these minors you talk about getting their licences early should not be allowed. This is my point, just because these teens take a course does not mean they are ready to get behind the wheel. Also, you stating that many teen accidents happen due to drinking does not really help your side. By raising the driving age we keep some of those teens off the road.
My main point is that we should wait until teens mature more instead of letting them get some type of permit as young as some do
http://www.cdc.gov...
serval

Con

Pro, thank you for the rebuttals - yet you have yet to argue a rather large point in my previous post.
Keeping teens off the road would not solve anything. Raising the driving age would only make the young adults that are now considered 'new drivers' have more car crashes. Either way, you can't get experience if the age limit keeps changing. Maturity has nothing do to with this, in my opinion. If you are able to pass and complete the State issued tests, then obviously the government (and in most cases, I would presume, your guardians) believe you can handle driving on the road with other citizens. Teens that have been given their license have obviously been deemed responsible enough by State Government - surely you trust your government, no? Either way, crashes cannot be avoided, and it's sad so many happen with our youth, and we should just make sure they are prepared for the road.
My own common logic.
lgennarelli

Pro

All of your information is your opinion. None of it is proven facts or studies. You keep arguing that keeping teens off the road won't do anything, but that is your own opinion, studies show otherwise.
http://www.news-record.com...
There are specific facts in this source opposing your opinion, by proving it. Here is an exact quote "A review of 11 studies concerning traffic rates and ages of new drivers determined that age was the deciding factor: Teens who are older when they begin driving have lower crash rates than 16-year-olds who get behind the wheel." So this disproves your opinion. By raising the driving age, we would be lowering the crash rate with the youth in America.
http://www.usatoday.com... This source also proves how 16 year old drivers are the most likely to crash. This disproves everything you are arguing. Raising the driving age will keep our youth safe
serval

Con

serval forfeited this round.
Posted by lgennarelli 6 years ago
lgennarelli
this debate is about the driving age?
Posted by savanah 6 years ago
savanah
I think they should keep the age 21 because kids at te age 18 is not mature yet. They act like a kid an if try drink and get out of head there will be more. People in jail. When you are 21 or older you are mature and you know how to handle your self when things go wrong.
Posted by serval 6 years ago
serval
Sorry for the forfeit - I have become unexpectedly ill.
Posted by lgennarelli 6 years ago
lgennarelli
Hey thanks, I am also new at this so no worries. Good luck to you as well!
Posted by serval 6 years ago
serval
Hello there, I ran out of characters to add a proper introduction/cite my links.
I wish you the best of luck on this debate, and as this is my first debate on this website, I hope me being a newbie doesn't show through too much :)
http://www.cdc.gov...
http://www.pantagraph.com...
Posted by lgennarelli 6 years ago
lgennarelli
Age and responsibility do relate to each other though. For the most part the older you are the more responsible you are.
Posted by TUF 6 years ago
TUF
Age really doesn't make a difference, IMO. Driving is a responsibility, and those who violate that responsibility suffer consequentialism. Adults crash just as much as teens do, and not all teens should be held accountable for these accidents.
Posted by zGodMode 6 years ago
zGodMode
What about those 21+ who drive home from bars?
Just as bad.
Vote Placed by reddj2 6 years ago
reddj2
lgennarelliservalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con-had a better argument