pjh816
AVPC

Raising the Minimum Wage

Started: 11/19/2014 Category: Economics

pjh816

Con

Though at face value the raising of the minimum wage may seem like it is a good idea, the future economic repercussions are vastly more costly. Think of the people that the raise of the minimum wage will hurt. The small business employer has to pay more in an already tough market with lots of expenses. He or she now has some options on how he wants to deal with workers needing to be payed more. He could either pay them and cut other costs like product value, resulting in loss of sales, which then would result in loss of the entire business and than the worker has no job. The other option would just for the employer to fire workers so that their doors can stay open. Will the high unemployment rate in the nation, there are people desperate for work and every dollar counts, you get payed for your skills and as the kind of pay you are in suggests, your skills are minimum.
AVPC

Pro

You brought many valid points, but lacked a clear understanding behind the need for a minimum wage, and the true impact it will have on Americans. You asked me to think about small businesses and the impact they will have with a minimum wage, and you are right, they will pay more. However, you must also understand how important this issue is for many families who are living in poverty and cannot afford to live decently. Now, understand that growing up in poverty creates strong challenges for people to get a proper education. That being said, I find it offensive how you suggest that having minimum skills should automatically doom you into poverty. People fighting for a minimum wage are hard working and many of them hurt themselves everyday to make decent money-- Take farm workers for example. Going back to the economy, just think about this: Small businesses depend, ironically, on those asking for a minimum wage. In other words, customers will have more money to spend. There will be no lost of sales as these businesses will have more customers. Firing employees is also not an option because, as you said, it will lose productivity. In conclusion, raising the minimum wage is essential to provide a better life to many families living and poverty.
pjh816

Con

Interesting points that you make concerning families. I don't think that the minimum wage is a stable income for a family. That being said, people who are able to only get minimum wage jobs, should not be thinking about giving birth to children. There are great resources for education at everyone's fingertips with the Internet, and I think that it lies within personal responsibility for people to better themselves and learn the skills necessary to support a family, before having a family. A new idea that I would like to bring up is that work places are introducing more and more technology to help with productivity. A lot of businesses, like restaurants with minimum wage workers have monotonous jobs which can be replaced by a machine. In some cases, minimum wage labor can simply be replaced by machines. With than future looming over our heads, I cannot stress enough how important it is for people to go out and get an education for themselves. This will not be easy for many people, but education is more convenient than ever and though it may be hard, working and learning at the same time, the benefits that come later will be well worth it.
AVPC

Pro

Understand that culture play an enormous role in the life of the many families working minimum wage jobs and has trapped them in poverty. From generations to generations they have valued work more than education. I ask my opponent to consider this argument before expressing what he thinks about what people should and should not do. You are right on how education is at everyone's fingertips with the internet. However, I must go back to my point about culture trapping these people in poverty. They are uneducated on sex and have children not because they plan them, but, most of the times, because of an accident. The argument that you brought up about work places introducing more and more technology to help with productivity is accurate but scary. You emphazised how important it is for people to get an education as if it was easy to do so. What wouldn't people do to sit in an office, be a leader, create change, and get paid well. Unfortunately, people working minimun wage jobs do not see this because they were not raised to see this. I cannot emphasize this point anymore than I have. These hard working people did not have an educated parent to teach them the importance of education. On the contrary, they had parents that tought them the importance of working, not education. I say this again: This is all about culture and it will remain a problem for a long time. Now, I'm not saying that not having educated parents automatically means that a person will work a minimum wage job for life-- My parents are uneducated and I managed to enroll in college and fight. Going back to your point about work places introducing machines to replace workers is scary because these people without skills ,and psychologically captured in a cultural trap, will have a harder time than they have now. For now, this cultural problem cannot be fix and I ask my opponent to consider how families will continue to suffer is minimum wage is not increase.
pjh816

Con

Arguments on culture aside, how much would we raise the minimum wage.10, 20, 30, 100 dollars. If we raise the minimum wage now, it is a slippery slope down because we will continue to see people in poverty and want to help. But the economic repercussions of continuing to pay workers more and more for the sole reason that we think they need it and are entitled to it sounds like a form of welfare to me. Certain jobs equal a certain amount of pay and if you pay workers who are working jobs that require little background education lots of money, it will also serve as an incentive for people on the edge between minimum wage and the possibility of earning higher wages, to choose to not go to school and just earn the new higher minimum wage. Our society should not be encouraging people to work at the bottom, but hustle from cradle to grave in school and in the workplace to make the best of themselves and the opportunities that are in our country. The best thing that parents struggling with children now, is to teach them and encourage them to do their best at everything that they do, because life may not be that much better for them, but they can make a huge difference in their children's future lives.
AVPC

Pro

AVPC forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Minimum wage is a joke. If a person wants higher pay, improve your job skills. Don't sit around on your lazy a## and wait for government to increase your wages, but not your worth.
Posted by smlburridge 2 years ago
smlburridge
Interesting debate. Let's see how it pans out.
At this point I'm siding with CON because of my personal beliefs.