Raising the minimum wage is a negative action for the citizens of The United States of America

Started: 5/7/2014 Category: Economics

Debate Rules & Regulations

1)You may include as many sources as you want, or no sources if you wish.

2)All source citation types and sources will be accepted.

3)The winner will be decided by an "Open Voting" style taking place over the course of a month after the debate is completed.

4)Failure to post an argument in 48 hours will not result in automatic disqualification although voters are encouraged to vote for a debater who does in fact post an valid argument for each and every round.

The order and purpose of the five debate rounds are as following:

1) Challenge & Acceptance
2) Why or why not raising the minimum wage benefits the United States .
3) What a reasonable minimum wage value would be and this amount is reasonable.
4) Examples of scenarios (real & hypothetical) the would come as an effect of raising or maintaining the minimum wage.
5) Final arguments and thoughts on why voters should "vote pro" or "vote con".

To whomever my con challenger is I wish them best of luck and I hope this will be a quite a spectacular debate.

SunGod, before I begin my argument let me say thank for accepting my debate, I hope that by the end of this debate you will see the consequences and problems that come along with a higher minimum wage.

In a perfect society on a perfect planet raising the minimum wage to decrease poverty levels is a stellar idea, however since sadly since we live nor work in a perfect society raising the minimum wage has consequences that defeat the purpose of the initial raising of the minimum wage.

One of these unfortunate consequences is called inflation. (
Today many lower and middle class Americans live under the hope that their minimum wages will continue to rise, they believe that a bigger salary will lead to more purchasing power, which allow them to continue a safe, average life and maybe once in a while that they will be able to treat themselves. Wether this treat be a new car, a Caribbean cruise, or a more affordable education for their children. However sadly, since macroeconomics is not taught in public schools, most of these people do not understand the effects of inflation on the economy. Due to inflation raising the minimum wage is a useless weapon in combating poverty because the economy will simply boost their prices in response to a raise of the federal minimum wage. Below is a link to a list which contains a few items whose prices have been inflated over time in The United States.

In conclusion, raising the minimum wage does practical nothing as inflation is always on guard, waiting to pounce as soon as the government officials put pen to paper.

Raising the minimum wage is not only not negative action for U.S. citizens it is overall positive action. The reason for this is that it increases the standard of living for millions of American. Income inequality is one of the largest problems facing America today and raising minimum wage will help bridge that gap.[1] Even the lowest paid workers in America should be earning a living wage.

There are three reasons raising minimum wage is not a negative action.
a. It increases wages for the lowest income bracket
b. It increases purchasing power
c. It will not increase inflation

Contention A. It increases wages for the lowest income bracket. 7.6 million to 16.5 million Americans will see an increase on income depending on how much we raise by (which we will discuss next round)[2]. This could bring as many as many as 4.6 million Americans out of poverty and up to 6.8 million when considering the long-term benefits[3]. This is especially important in the aftermath of the Great Recession. Three-fifths of all jobs lost during the Great Recession were Middle-Income jobs and three-fifths of all new jobs created were low wage[4]. Less impoverished people also means less money the government has to spend on welfare. This at it"s core is about people"s work being rewarded with an actual living wage.

Contention B. It increases purchasing power. This goes hand in hand with my first point. When wages increases so does purchasing power. An increase in minimum wage will led to $31 billion dollars in increased earnings [2]. An increase in minimum wage is needed to get Americans back on their feet and buying again. If in fact this economic stimulant may even create jobs. A minimum wage hike could create a need for 160,000 employees[5]. With lower wages families are having a hard time meeting basic needs let alone treating themselves on nicer things. But the economy can"t survive when people can only afford to pay for their basic needs.

Contention C. It will not create inflation. My opponent MB17 brought up a fair point last round concerning inflation. It"s justified to worry about inflation when thinking about minimum wage. However what my opponent failed to show was any direct link between minimum wage and inflation, supported by evidence. The rises in price are simply too small to have a real impact. Even when considering a very dramatic increase in minimum wage to $12 will only add 7-15 cents per shopping trip[6]. In fact the number is most likely much lower. The 7-15 cent figure assumes that the cost will be passed on entirely to the customer. So when considering the different measures businesses can take to make up for the cost, the increased business they will receive as a result of the increase, and the less dramatic increase I will argue for next round we can clearly see the impact on inflation will be extremely small. Also, even if inflation of prices does come as result the wage increases will cancel it out and we will be left with a net neutral impact therefore not reaching the resolution stating that we will have a net negative impact.

The benefits of this minimum wage increase on workers wages and the economy strongly outweigh the harms of the miniscule levels of inflation that will occur. Therefore I would strongly encourage voting CON.

SunGod, you state that "Even the lowest paid workers in America should be earning a living wage.", but the thing is that minimum wage is a livable wage.

Above I posted a link about just a few of the items that people who work on "unlivable" wages own. These include air conditioning, televisions, refrigerators, and an Xbox. What this article is saying is that even though you might not have premium channels on your television, or a smartphone with 3G capability, that does not in any way make your life difficult and unlivable!

Just because you don't have enough money to pay your cable bill, or buy a new refrigerator does not mean that your wages are "unlivable".

Today I find it very sad how many United States citizens classify themselves as poor. What these people/families need is budgeting help, not overly increased wages. In 2011 the U.S. Citizens with the lowest income (3.52%) earned a little less than $5,000. However this number is is not a good representation because, if we assume that these people each worked 8 hours a day (which many lower class workers work more)
They would end up getting about $2.40 an hour. Unless these people are very bad restaurant waiters, then my calculations show that these people are not working enough. And if they have a disability or something that holds them back from working, then they should be receiving welfare from the government, which is more than enough to live without starving day and night.

According to Wikipedia, (,

the poorest country in the world is The Democratic Republic of Congo, which has a GDP per capita, or how much wealth one person has on average of 400 International Dollars. The United States has a GDP per capita of 53,101 International Dollars, which puts it at #6 in the world out of 195 countries.

The link above shows a list a of countries and their minimum wages.
I personally believe that the minimum wage could be raised a little bit more to about $8.00 to $8.25 an hour but some of the proposal's are absolutely ridiculous.

The link above says the minimum wage should be raised to $21.16 or higher! This amount is ridiculous and probably would lead to a steep incline in inflation.

I hope that you do not think such a wage is realistic. It might be possible by increasing the wage steadily by a few cents every year, but then again inflation would always keep up with it.

Also, raising the minimum wage destroys jobs as companies, especially small businesses cannot possibly produce enough money to pay these wages. Small and large businesses would have to fire so many workers to afford the minimum wage, that raising the minimum wage would practically create more unemployment and poverty. Many of these fired workers would be minimum wage workers as the wage raise would not affect the cost of hiring employees for higher paying jobs.

Therefore, I believe that raising the minimum wage past $8.50 for at least the next 10 years would only create more poverty and problems.

SunGod forfeited this round.

The link which I have posted above contains some great examples of what raising the minimum wage would do to the current economy of The United States.

This article claims that raising the minimum wage to president Obama's proposal of $10.10 per hour would eliminate around 500,000 jobs. As I stated in the previous round raising the minimum wage encourages and sometimes even forces companies and small business'
to layoff as many workers as possible in order to balance out the shear amount of funds needed to meet the requirements of the new minimum wage law. Tell me, is not better to have 100% of the willing workforce on the job earning a decent wage than it is to have say, 75% or 80% of the workers collecting large pay checks while the other 20% to 25% stay at home, living off of welfare, hoping that they will be able to secure a job before their living conditions become "unlivable".

As I have already stated in Round #2, business owners would also raise their prices to correspond with inflation, and now to cover the extra cost of keeping their employees.

Youth unemployment is also go up because many young Americans earn minimum or close to minimum wage, and they would be the severely impacted by this. Most of the workers being laid off would be minimum wage workers as their compensation would be affected by the raise and not the higher earning jobs.

Therefore, I believe that the real world consequences of raising the minimum wage outweigh the benefits, and that raising the minimum wage would hurt minimum wage workers the most as their wages would be the only ones increasing.

I hope that you are able to find the time to debate Round #5, and I wish you the best of luck!

SunGod forfeited this round.

I am disappointed that you chosen not to post an argument twice in a row now, but nevertheless I will still finish out the debate.

In conclusion I believe that inflation is a major problem that stands in the way of raising the minimum wage, raising the minimum wage past $8.50 for at least the next 10 years is unnecessary, and that citizens in The United States of America already live "rich people" lives and that raising the minimum wage would only increase unemployment.

I believe that this was a very amusing debate and that you were a very intellectual opponent, although I was not joyed with you forfeiting rounds 3 and 4. I wish you the best of luck in the voting period.

SunGod forfeited this round.
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
I would just like to give advice on writing and providing support for arguments. First, never use wiki anything terrible source. Next, do not use blogs, unfounded websites, or news sites. The main reasons are that these are usually one sided and not bi-partisan. They provide a very bias point of view that is typically not reliable when providing an argument.

Last, use journal articles and studies from places like Google scholar. People have spent their entire careers researching these issues and doing economical experiments on its effects. Therefore, their expertise and knowledge should be used and provide in-depth support for argument.

Non the less, I totally agree that minimum wage ultimately will provide negative effects to the economy. Most of the time you will find that research, scholars, and economics agree with this idea.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
I would take this if I had the time available right now.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I'm incredibly disappointed that Con forfeited. Conducts, obviously, for those forfeits. S&G and sourcing didn't seem to warrant scoring. Unfortunately, the sheer number of forfeits from Con left huge swaths of Pro's case unresponded to, and so Pro gets argument points. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.