calicomet21
Stark76

Raising the smoking age

calicomet21

Con

Raising the smoking age to 21 in the state of New York will not keep teens away from cigarettes. I think that it will only make teens rebel against the law, and keep smoking regardless of what it says. Also if teens can get their hands on cigarettes now, it would not make any difference for them to obtain it with a new age restriction for buying cigarettes. Teens have been able to get cigarettes in many ways, some even have their parents buy them for them.
Stark76

Pro

My opponent believes that teens will "rebel against the law" and "keep smoking regardless of what it says".

By that logic, we shouldn"t make murder illegal because then everyone will rebel against the law and go on a killing spree.

The facts stand that smoking is firmly on the decline. We can"t afford to let this change in public opinion roll by. Restaurants, hotels, apartment buildings, and even college campuses are catching onto the trend and becoming entirely smoke free.

http://www.no-smoke.org...

Smoking is no longer glorified in the movies like it once was. This can be seen in the movie "Thank You for Smoking", which chronicles the life of a Big Tobacco lobbyist. Undoubtedly, he would side with my opponent.

Teens are finally abandoning a habit that is associated with cancer, lung disease, and abject poverty. Why would we leave the door open for them to return to it?

Correction for my opponent: The City of New York just signed a bill to raise the smoking age. The state of New York has not done anything.
calicomet21

Con

calicomet21 forfeited this round.
Stark76

Pro

All of my previous points stand.
calicomet21

Con

calicomet21 forfeited this round.
Stark76

Pro

Stark76 forfeited this round.