Purushadasa
PowerPikachu21

"Randomness" Is a Myth That Doesn't Exist in Reality

PowerPikachu21

Purushadasa

Pro

So-called "randomness" is a myth --
it has never happened in the past, it is not happening now,
and it shall never happen in the future --
it is an existential impossibility.
Prove me wrong and win $5,000.00: https://www.youtube.com...
PowerPikachu21

Con

I could use the money. Let's see what we can do. But first, let's define the terms.

Random: "proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern"

Myth: "a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon"

Exist: "to have real being whether material or spiritual"

Reality: "the quality or state of being real"

[All definitions gotten from Merriam Webster Dictionary]

I'll let you have the opening argument.
Purushadasa

Pro

You offered no refutation, so you lost the debate -- thanks for your time! =)
PowerPikachu21

Con

Refutation? What refutation? You yourself said nothing that proves my side wrong, or even to support your own side. The debate's not over. Here's my argument: Random number generators. Unless you're a psychic, you can't tell what number will come up when a computer starts calling numbers between 1 and 100.
Purushadasa

Pro

Someone wrote:

"Random number generators. Unless you're a psychic, you can't tell what number will come up when a computer starts calling numbers between 1 and 100."

You proved that unpredictability exists. Unfortunately for you, you have not proven that "randomness" exists.

Unpredictability <> Randomness

You lost the debate: Thanks for your time! =)
PowerPikachu21

Con

The random numbers are occuring, and there's no aim to it. You lost.

[PS I never expected you to admit my side is wrong anyways, therefore never expected any money.]
Posted by whiteflame 2 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Phenenas// Mod action: NOT Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: What's with the $5,000 thing anyway? Is this guy for real?

[*Reason for non-removal*] This debate is over 9 months past the end of the voting period, and is therefore past the statute of limitations for vote moderation.
************************************************************************
Posted by PowerPikachu21 11 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Fair enough. Though people might still poke fun at you.
Posted by Purushadasa 11 months ago
Purushadasa
Thank you all for so many kind and intelligent posts.

My engagement on this site was intended, from the beginning, to be a nothing more than a temporary experiment.

I didn't know specifically when it was going to end, until this evening: My girlfriend, Bhaktin Caroline, said something to me that inspired me to make tonight the end of the experiment.

Bhaktin Caroline matters much, much more than this website.

If you are still feeling overly attached after I leave, I apologize, but I will still be leaving nonetheless: I won't be engaging in any further debates, arguments, or conversations on this site, and nor will I be reading any further posts uploaded by its kind and intelligent members -- starting now.

You can argue amongst yourselves, from now on.

Good-bye! =)
Posted by Masterful 11 months ago
Masterful
Yeah we are kinda bias against stupidity and bad arguments.

You're bias towards your own arguments where you believe they hold more merit than they actually do, this is true with everyone so don't take it personally.
Posted by NDECD1441 11 months ago
NDECD1441
Someone unimportant and unknown to me wrote:
"Im done with you troll"

No PowerPikachu is not a troll -- that's a straw man fallcy on your point
Posted by PowerPikachu21 11 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Someone said "I am done with you, troll."

No I'm not a troll. You lost the debate. Thank you for your time! :}
Posted by Purushadasa 11 months ago
Purushadasa
I am done with you, troll.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 11 months ago
PowerPikachu21
@Purushadasa

Someone said "The individuals voting on this site are hopelessly biased, unintelligent, and utterly dishonest: Therefore, the so-called "voting" system on this site is a sham and has no bearing on the actual winners of the debates."

No one made such a claim. This is a straw man fallacy! You lost. Thank you for your time. :}
Posted by Purushadasa 11 months ago
Purushadasa
The individuals voting on this site are hopelessly biased, unintelligent, and utterly dishonest: Therefore, the so-called "voting" system on this site is a sham and has no bearing on the actual winners of the debates.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 11 months ago
PowerPikachu21
@Purushadasa

Vote Placed by Phenenas 11 months ago
Phenenas
PurushadasaPowerPikachu21Tied
Reasons for voting decision: What's with the $5,000 thing anyway? Is this guy for real?
Vote Placed by philochristos 11 months ago
philochristos
PurushadasaPowerPikachu21Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I take 'prove me wrong' in the first round to mean that Con has the burden of proof in this debate. Con's only argument is that there are random number generators. pro's rebuttal is that while random number generators are unpredictable, that doesn't make them random. Finally, Con appealed to the 'no aim' clause of his definition of 'random' to say that random number generators ARE random. And that was the end of the debate. pro was not able to respond further because there were no more rounds. it is unfortunate that the person who got the last word won the debate just because they got the last word. It wouldn't have been that way if each debater had just put more meat into their arguments earlier on. Con should've recognized he had the burden of proof and began his arguments in round 1. pro should've taken issue with Con's definition of random or else defined those terms himself at the start of the debate. pro also should've explained how randomness and unpredictability differ