LeafRod
feverish

Rap Battle.

feverish
Started: 12/23/2009 Category: Arts

LeafRod

Pro

My opponent can start in R1 if he or she wants. There is a somewhat loose line limit—try to keep it below twenty lines. What constitutes a line isn't too rigid, but don't be ridiculous, meaning don't try to stick loads of words into a line and call it one line. Likewise, if you want to put a couple of words on a separate line to enhance the verse's feel or something, that doesn't have to count as a line.

Voters, remember, quality over quantity, although I suspect there won't be trouble making it to twenty lines. As always, forget flow, because it can't be judged by reading lyrics.

Just a quick note, these rap battles don't necessarily have to be dissing the other person, though that's obviously welcome. Finally, try not to vote according to whatever odd notions you may have of rap battling and think should apply to rap battles universally.
feverish

Con

Thanks to LeafRod for the opportunity to participate in what will be my first ever written battle and my first ever online battle.

I have a lot of respect for LeafRod's taste in and knowledge of hiphop and I'm sure this will be a fun and competitive battle which I hope nobody takes overly seriously.

I won't try and grab an extra round over my opponent, I will allow the instigator to set it off.
LeafRod

Pro

LeafRod forfeited this round.
feverish

Con

So,

LeafRod stayed at home to beat his
Meatwad, over his rhymes I
Leapfrog [PAUSE]
I'm the shepherd, he's the sheepdog

He forfeited, of course he did
He had to when he thought a bit
He must be mad to challenge
The conceptual contortionist

The sort of sh1t I talk and spit
Sends children to the orphanage
I finish sh1t before it starts
Like I was an abortionist

[PAUSE] Again I pause a bit
Competitors get torn to strips
Try to go to war with this
You'll find you're gettin more than dissed

So shamed you'll change your name again
knocked off the wagon, you're not no dragon
If your method on the mic's so bangin'
Why d'you leave the battle hangin?

___________

As specified that's twenty bars without holding back (much) :). Imagine the beat dropping out for the last four.

Videos have no relevance to lyrics, merely setting the scene and making the post more symetrical lol.
LeafRod

Pro

Set to the beat of "Top Billin'" by Audio Two:

I have a mild feves, but that won't hamper
If we were two leaves then I'd be damper
You set up a verse but I have to tamper
My shots burst and MCs scamper

I'm an ill MC, chicks call me Leaf
Real quick's how, I give grief
I bust up mics, a hip-hop chief
I even get dykes, all dudes got beef

I'm at your house, got your girl
Up her blouse while my words unfurl
What spurred this twirl, what's wrong with Fever?
And so I heard you just can't relieve her

Clearly I'm gifted, I have mad skill
Sands have shifted when I spill
I cut dudes up cause I'm from Seville
And I'd pass that bill if I were on Capitol Hill

I never let down so I never refund it
There's no other, ask a pundit
I could go on but that's redundant
I'm the best and proof's abundant

[finish]

Just a note, this is not at all my usual style. I wasn't even planning on writing a verse here, so I decided to go with a really old school style, especially because I've been listening to a bit of Audio Two and wanted to try something new. So yeah, this verse was kind of messing around for me, haha.
feverish

Con

Thanks again to LeafRod for the fun little battle, I won't bother posting another verse as we've done one each.

Couple of quick explanations on my verse above, apologies for patronising if it is all obvious.

The meatwad thing is pretty self-explanatory, anyone who is unsure should check LeafRod's recent Haiku battle for a more poetic description of the implied activity.

The sheepdog/shepherd thing is kind of a big-up and a diss; an insult wrapped in a complement. I'm saying that in hip hop terms, many behave like sheep but Leaf has the potential to lead and guide others. However as a shepherd, I am at a much higher level haha. Basically I'm saying he's my 'dawg' but I could also make him my b!tch lol.

The line partly obscured by my avatar says conceptual contortionist. I am suggesting that I can lyrically take a topic or idea and twist and flip it in many different ways. I'm really just saying "hey, I'm clever and stuff".

Like a lot of the violent imagery in hip hop, my statements about killing adults and embryos are purely a metaphorical description of the verbal violence I can deliver.

LeafRod has had other accounts on here, most notably iamadragon.

Falling off the wagon is a UK phrase meaning to begin consuming drink or drugs after a period of abstention. I understand (may be wrong) that Leaf is tee-total and doesn't do drugs and I'm implying that the shame of this defeat will force him to find solace in intoxicants.

LeafRod has a Wu Tang quote on his profile "my method on the microphone's bangin'".

Also I meant to say: "over his *round* I leapfrog" as a reference to the forfeited round but for some reason I wrote "rhymes" instead.

This was fun. Thanks for reading.
Con.
Posted by Mangani 6 years ago
Mangani
"few people post their verses here wanting to completely include flow in the criteria."
-Who cares what they want? The voting isn't set up for rap battles. You're the only one not mature enough to understand that in THAT case, let the voters set their own criteria. Don't want flow judged? To rap battle. Quit crying. Next.

"Nah, you judge according to the set criteria."
-This is the set criteria:

None of that pertains to rap battles. Next.

"You bragged about writing 16 bars in two minutes. Why can't you just do it, then?"
-I did. It's in my notepad. Next.

"It's a debate website."
-Exactly. So quit whining about how I judge the rap battles.
Posted by LeafRod 6 years ago
LeafRod
Let's get this straight. I'm the only one arguing with you... so yeah, of course no one is going to say anything. It's pretty obvious to anyone who isn't completely insecure though that few people post their verses here wanting to completely include flow in the criteria.

Nah, you judge according to the set criteria. That's just respect. So what, do you value respect, or are you a hypocrite?

You bragged about writing 16 bars in two minutes. Why can't you just do it, then? Seriously, why not? There's no good reason, other than some ridiculous sense of pride which NO ONE EVEN CARES ABOUT. It's a debate website.
Posted by Mangani 6 years ago
Mangani
Now let me explain it a little more coherently for those no longer in diapers:

"I said you shouldn't count flow if that's not a criterion."

Read clearly, ok.

Rap: The art form can be broken down into different components, as in the book How to Rap where it is separated into "content", "flow" (rhythm and rhyme), and "delivery" http://en.wikipedia.org...

Text Battle: Text battles are where lyricists can show their writing skills against each other. Battles are judged on different criteria such as wordplay, punch lines, flow and vocabulary. Exclusive Text users can qualify for text tournaments every 2 months in the Exclusive Text arena. There is an Exclusive, Basic and Unranked Section for Text just like for Audio. http://www.letsbeef.com...

The Most Essential Rap Elements

How can you tell if one MC is superior to another? When can you safely say that a Rap artist has attained legendary status? If you know what Real Hip Hop is all about then you'd be able to answer all these questions and many more. Hip Hop is a culture based originally on graffiti, DJing, and Rap. There are hundreds of micro elements that make the art form digestible. But, I'm going to give you a list of the ten most essential elements, without which a rapper is nothing short of a yapper. More interestingly, I'll give you my favorite MC in each category. Before you proceed, locate your pen and paper and get ready to take notes.
1.Flow & Structure: The ability to create a smooth rhyme sequence that makes a song interesting to the ear. Favorites: Big L, Jay-Z.
2.Charisma: Poise. The ability to exhume a great deal of enthusiasm, enough to command a respectable following. Favorites: NaS, KRS-One.
3.Accessibility: An unrestricted connection between an artist and a fan, fostered through http://therapup.uproxx.com...

I can keep going if you still don't understand.
Posted by LeafRod 6 years ago
LeafRod
What happened to that 16 bars in two minutes?
Posted by LeafRod 6 years ago
LeafRod
See my previous comment. People are only interested in looking at lyrics on this website.
Posted by LeafRod 6 years ago
LeafRod
"'Flow and all that jazz' is rap. If you're not prepared to have your rap judged as one, then don't rap."

Your entire argument is semantics. You're basically just saying that it's not rap if flow isn't judged. You're being semantic on an extra level because no one in these text battles would say they're posting full raps, but rather rap verses where only lyrics should be judged.
Posted by Mangani 6 years ago
Mangani
If the instigator doesn't want to count flow- then call it a debate about who can put witty metaphors together better. If you are not judging flow... let me write it slowly for the Sesame Street kids...

IF. YOU. ARE. NOT. JUDGING. FLOW... IE. RHYTHMIC STRUCTURE (IN A TEXT BATTLE)... IT. IS. NOT. A. RAP. BATTLE. DO. YOU. UN. DER. STAND? Tatada!
Posted by LeafRod 6 years ago
LeafRod
"Can you or Leafrod provide an alternative coherent criteria for judging a 'text battle' on the merits of rap?"

Lyrical complexity. I've said that multiple times. If the instigator doesn't want you to count flow, then don't.
Posted by LeafRod 6 years ago
LeafRod
You can write 16 bars in two minutes? Do so, then.

I said you shouldn't count flow if that's not a criterion. Simple as that. If I questioned your intelligence (I don't really remember doing so; calling you names is hardly doing so) because you failed to grasp that when I clarified it multiple times.
Posted by LeafRod 6 years ago
LeafRod
Our disagreement is that you're an elitist pu$$y if you think deciding to post a few verses on a debate site without counting flow is disrespectful... and an insecure loser if you think you've "beaten" me because I posted a joke verse.

I'm not going to battle you now—as I said I actually have stuff to do, so maybe when I have time to waste I'll battle you.
Vote Placed by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
LeafRodfeverishTied
Vote Placed by emigre 6 years ago
emigre
LeafRodfeverishTied
Vote Placed by SexyLatina 6 years ago
SexyLatina
LeafRodfeverishTied
Vote Placed by snelld7 6 years ago
snelld7
LeafRodfeverishTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 6 years ago
Vi_Veri
LeafRodfeverishTied
Vote Placed by Mangani 6 years ago
Mangani
LeafRodfeverishTied