JimShady
TheH0rnet.exe

Rap (Con) v Your Music Preference (Pro)

JimShady
Started: 8/17/2016 Category: Music

JimShady

Con

This is an opinionated debate, so of course we're not going to reach a resolution that one type of music is absolutely superior. But I would just like to debate which music genre is better anyway... rap, mine, or your music preference.

Round 1 for acceptance, and then the rest of the rounds are for explaining why your genre of music is better, plus rebuttals.
TheH0rnet.exe

Pro

You will probably win this as rap is ten times more loved than my favourite type of music, but my preference is metal, and god is it healthier than anyone thinks.
JimShady

Con

Here are my categories: 1. background music (beats, electric guitars), 2. rhyming/flow, 3. lyrical content, 4. which is more popular. Feel free to add categories. I'm kinda rushing this Round 2, but I'll be more thorough later.

1.I think background would go to heavy metal as far as instrumentals and different instruments. It's more musical in style, rap is just repetitive beats, mostly through synthesizers.

2.Rhyming and flow goes to rap almost indisputably. Look at the actual acronym: Rhythm And Poetry. Without these, it would not be R.A.P. Rap flourishes with rhymes way more than heavy metal, and the repetitive beats make it real catchy and flowing.

3.Lyrical content... a highly debatable subject, I'm going to call it a draw. There's just no real way to say which has better message and appeal other than opinion statements.

4.This pie graph [1] shows that overall, rap sells 22% of music. Rock sells 30%. keep in mind though that metal is a subcategory of rock. Huge amounts of rock are not heavy metal.

So, adding up the wins and losses of these four categories, rap wins 2 to 1 (3rd round was a draw). Again, this is highly opinionated, so feel free to attack my argument as ruthlessly as you want.

1. http://www.digitalmusicnews.com...
TheH0rnet.exe

Pro

I can agree with most of this, but I have to disagree with lyrical content. Most metal is either about slaughtering someone, breaking up with someone, ruining a life, or confronting a problem. some of metals messages is so hidden and takes so much looking into the lyrics to find out what they mean. An example is ' Make them suffer - Widower ' / http://www.azlyrics.com... . Taking a first look at this you may think "the hell is this about... a forest???!!" no, but you see looking into it will reveal its about confronting a cheater. " weaving webs among the woods " proves that point mainly. All metal is extremely encrypted and metaphorical, unless its something like http://www.plyrics.com... . Then its pretty blatant, but most metal has a very very encrypted meaning.

Rap however, does not have a encrypted meaning. Most raps Ive heard are just about someone telling you they are better than anyone else, and the raps that do have legitimate meanings are not encrypted at all. They are just revealing the meaning through words. No metaphors whatsoever.
JimShady

Con

Like I said, lyrical content is really hard to judge. I'm making an assumption that you don't listen to rap near as much as I do. Just the same, I do not listen to metal in the same amount as you.

So, that's why I called it a draw, as I do not know heavy metal that well (in terms of lyrical content). However, now that you've stated it's way more metaphoric and deeper then rap... well, let me just say that rap can be highly encrypted, too.

You say that most raps you have heard are about bragging about skill. You are correct, but you have to understand that there is far more to rap than that. That is called battle/underground rap. There's also gangster rap, hardcore rap, west/east coast rap, and many more [1]. (My favorite is battle rap.) Each of these has a distinctive flair. You are correct when you state that most of the time, they reveal the meaning through the words. My comeback is: so what? Does a song have to be encrypted to be great and lyrically genius?

Many non-rap listeners believe rap to be completely about violence, money, drugs, and cussing. While these are prominent traits of rap (Real Muthaphukkin G's, Schemin' Up, Next Episode, As the World Turns), but you have to take into account the rap songs that are more than that... Eminem's "When I'm Gone" and "Till I Collapse", talking about his daughter and endurance (respectively), Jay Z with "Forever Young", and many more. Rap is not completely vulgar through and through.

As far as encrypted, take a look at "Stan" by Eminem. [2] Try and guess what it is about.

Yes rap may not be as secretive in lyrical content, but is that what makes lyrics great? It can make them interesting, but to say that it is the key to awesome lyrics is not correct. I'd also like to state that, without amazing lyrical content, rap would be boring as hell, with just a beat and lame words. Metal doesn't necessarily need good lyrical content, because the instrumentals can fill it in (it does help though).

Like I said, I don't know much about metal lyrics, but I do know rap, and I know it is lyrically fantastic. I still consider this category a draw.

1.http://www.musicgenreslist.com...
2.https://www.youtube.com...
TheH0rnet.exe

Pro

Welp. If Im being honest. I cannot compare metal to rap as it is more popular. I should never have taken this argument. XD
You win.
JimShady

Con

Thanks for debating. This was insightful.
TheH0rnet.exe

Pro

it was a pleasure
Posted by LoudLiberal 11 months ago
LoudLiberal
I'm a little late to this, but oh well. Really wish I could've contributed, but I'll say one thing.In terms of lyrical content, no one can say one is better than the other, that is of course rationally. When something with incredible meaning is written down on paper without an author, just lyrics. It is impossible to tell what genre it is and what it truly sounds like, unless you've heard it. Of course, if it has the word n*gga in it, then it will probably be rap.
Posted by thedynasty139 1 year ago
thedynasty139
Rap is easily the best genre in music when it comes to lyrical content. Look at Nas, Rakim, Biggie, Pac, Ice Cube, Jay-Z, Eminem, etc... I dare say it's impossible to beat that.
Posted by JimShady 1 year ago
JimShady
To ThinkBig: sorry, maybe next time, but I'm interested in your music preference still.
Posted by TheBenC 1 year ago
TheBenC
Rap is similar to Grunge or Heavy Metal. It had a peak in the 90s and fell off. The only difference is how rap does not know it is now dead. It is a zombie slowly creeping towards real people and people are just offended and horrified.
Posted by ThinkBig 1 year ago
ThinkBig
I'd like to accept. Can I state my music genre preference in the opening round, or is it just acceptance?
Vote Placed by ThinkBig 1 year ago
ThinkBig
JimShadyTheH0rnet.exeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession. Con, if you want to debate me on this, I'd happily take you on it.
Vote Placed by warren42 1 year ago
warren42
JimShadyTheH0rnet.exeTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't know why Pro conceded, as this was an interesting debate until that point. However, forfeiture gives Con the win.