Gensai
Merdeci

Rap Or Rock?

Gensai
Started: 5/27/2011 Category: Arts

Gensai

Pro

I am pro for rock,so con will be for rap, The debate is, which form of music has the most positive affects on the listener,rap or rock?
Merdeci

Con

Everyone has their own opinions about what music they like. Some people like rock and some like rap, while others prefer Hip-Hop. One may not like rock because he simply does not like it, and the same with someone who might not like rap. This is really nothing to debate, since everyone would keep his mind about what music he likes (in this case, rock or rap), and this debate is not a debate someone can win or lose. I will keep my musical tastes opinion, and you will do the same. So clearly this will just be determined by how many votes I get, and how many you get. But those who vote against me, are probably just those who only like rock, and not rap. And the same with those who vote against you. They probably just like rap and not rock. So this debate thing is just silly really. I do not like rock because it's just screaming and screaming. I get pain in my ears, just by listening to it. I do not think that rock music is any good, nor has any talent in it. Rap has rhyme in it and one must be good at singing, to rap. It's cool to listen to and very good music. Therefore, I think rap is better than rock, and therefore I prefer rap instead of rock. My opinion.

Peace out!

- Merdeci
Gensai

Pro

This is not a debate on which form of music is better, it is a debate on which one brings more positive to the audience.
Also, you say rock has no talent just a bunch of screaming. You are obviously thinking of Heavy Metal. But since some rock bands do scream I will let that one roll. Rap to me offers nothing more than materialistic and warped ideals of revenge, while not all rappers songs etc.. do this the majority does, which makes for a negative message, especially in it's younger audience. While rock also has negative songs, it is in the minority, meaning not alot of bands do crude songs.
Even the ones who do, have a positive message overall most of the time. I'll reference a few bands for an example:
Pearl Jam, Mumford & Sons, Creed, Jet, The Beatles,and more. The music form known as rap also has it's positive artists such as: KRS ONE, Run Dmc, The Fresh Prince Will Smith, and more. I am not refuting that Rap has no positive artists as you can see I named a few. All I am stating is that rock has more artisits that are positive, both lyrically and upbeat instrumentally, giving rock the edge in this debate. By the way, you can debate more than just facts! Anything is debatable. PS: Thanks for accepting my challenge and good luck.
Merdeci

Con

Was probably a small mistake by me regarding the debate topic here.

To the topic then: I think that rapers gives more positive to the audience, then rockers. And that's because its my opinion. Not really something you can prove or disprove. I agree with you that there are many rapers who sing about things that not everyone should hear, but most rapers who do that, only describes his life. They grew up where all that bad stuff happened. They have seen what they say and actually experienced it. Like Eminem. He says a lot of violent things, but what he really doing is just telling about his true past life. But of course, I am not for what they say and do. The same is with rockers, not everyone says violent things. Many rockers, like many rapers, says good things and e.t.c

Anyway, so what if there is violence in music and e.t.c? Good music is good music, whatever. Most songs have bad words in it and that's a fact, but people still like it. As I said, good music is good music. You are against violence and bad stuff on the songs, so I ask: What does it help if it becomes prohibited or something, so you can not say bad stuff when you make a song? hate and violence will still be around us everywhere. Everything from TV to out in reality. Remember that not all songs may have to do with real. Just When You talk about revenge and e.t.c. It does not mean That the raper will take revenge or kill or something, in real life.

It is perhaps true that there are several positive rockers than rapers, but that does not mean that rock is a less violent then rap or something. Almost everything of rap is to play the gangster stuff. Most Rapers do that. It is to be famous, and is not intended at all to get other people to do it. The idea is not to get other people to do it, and that means not that the rapers is like that in real. I'm not saying that you say this, but just to get it over with.

Rock and rap are generally not violent, but in everything, there are people in these groups that can be a bit violent. It still does not mean that the rap or the rock in itself is violent.
Gensai

Pro

http://clearinghouse.missouriwestern.edu...
You say I can not prove or disprove weather Rap is more positive than Rock. The current death rate for people who listen to rap and try to live that gangster life style is gross in size, while the rockers have a high death rate that has gone down since the 80's. The above link explains how Rap and Metal may cause suicidal thoughts and behavior among other things. I posted this link to better demonstrate a point it is common knowledge that music by itself will not cause suicidal thoughts; it is highly based on how that person is feeling or what that person is thinking about when listening to to his/her choice of music weather it be rock rap or other the same can be said of a positive outcome such as an individual or group are listening to a rock song while thinking about trying to change the world when the song gives them a clue how to approach their goal. In other words, I personally do not believe that rap music gives a lot of room to breath. It is either be gangster or be lame the music itself has not been the same since the 80's to early 90's; it has become a watered down version of what was once gangster rap music the same can not be said of rock because unlike rap, a song isn't declared old after only a month. A single rock song will survive at least 50 years. Think about the Beatles their music is still leaving the shelves as if they were still topping the charts which leads me to my conclusion. When a rap song is declared to old to listen to, after a short period of time the legends die off. This is why there is very little meaningful rap music nowadays, while rock still has AC/DC, KISS, and many more. Too many to count to inspire the younger artists face to face. Rap lacks this: instead of speaking man to man with the legends, rappers just steal song material from each other, thus creating rivalry and projecting that violence onto there fan base this will never end as long as the legends can not be involved, and yet again I agree that not every song can be positive; no way we need the negative to balance the positive. If there is no negative there can be no positive, but again which music group has the most positive influence on there fan base? I am inclined to say rock yet again because of the above reasons.
Merdeci

Con

You say I can not prove or disprove weather Rap is more positive than Rock. The current death rate for people who listen to rap and try to live that gangster life style is gross in size, while the rockers have a high death rate that has gone down since the 80's. The above link explains how Rap and Metal may cause suicidal thoughts and behavior among other things. I posted this link to better demonstrate a point it is common knowledge that music by itself will not cause suicidal thoughts; it is highly based on how that person is feeling or what that person is thinking about when listening to to his/her choice of music weather it be rock rap or other the same can be said of a positive outcome such as an individual or group are listening to a rock song while thinking about trying to change the world when the song gives them a clue how to approach their goal'

Are you really sating that music can make people kill themselves? That's absurd! And are you really saying that because some kill themselves by listening to rap, then rap is more bad then rock? This can not disprove or prove that rock is better than rap. Tell me one person that have taken his life by listening to rap? Haha, this is so absurd. Do you think that that's all behind it? Just the music? Do you not think that the person is destroyed from before? Who can someone take his life by listening to good music? This is again; absurd! The reason why people take their life is because thei are destroyed, do not have friends and e.t.c. Maybe someone take their life by listening to music? But it's more more behind just that. They are destroyed from before. Will someone who lives a good life, take his life by listening to some bad music? NO. This is absurd and a lie. This can not without a doubt prove or disprove that rock is better than rock. You can not prove or disprove it, because everybody haves his opinion. Someone likes rap and someone likes rock, you can not debate that or try to disprove/prove that. This is not religion or science!

'it is highly based on how that person is feeling or what that person is thinking about when listening to to his/her choice of music weather it be rock rap or other the same can be said of a positive outcome such as an individual or group are listening to a rock song while thinking about trying to change the world when the song gives them a clue how to approach their goal'

Or wait, you did say it for me. I agree with you there. Like I did say, music can not take one's life; 'it is highly based on how that person is feeling or what that person is thinking about when listening to to his/her choice of music weather it be rock rap'.

Also you did say something wrong here. You did say: " You say I can not prove or disprove weather Rap is more positive than Rock. ' This was not what I did say. I did say that you can not disprove or prove that rap is better than rock, or that rock is better than rap. Because music is not about proving or disproving. Its about opinions and e.t.c. You have your music opinion and I have mine. You have your reasons why you like rock, and I have mine reasons why I like rap.

'In other words, I personally do not believe that rap music gives a lot of room to breath. It is either be gangster or be lame the music itself has not been the same since the 80's to early 90's; it has become a watered down version of what was once gangster rap music the same can not be said of rock because unlike rap, a song isn't declared old after only a month. A single rock song will survive at least 50 years.'

- Not true, indeed! I do not now what you mean by that breath think, but anyway. You say that rap is either gangster or lame, and do you now what? That's YOUR opinion. Millions and millions do not agree with you there. Do you see, that this is all about opinions? It's nothing you can prove or disprove her. Just because you are saying it, does not make it the truth. This is all just claims. Just like when you say that rap has not been the same since 80's to early 90's. Again, this is absurd and a lie! In the 80's to the 90's rap was not even famous. It was rock that was famous. But now it's rap that's famous and rock not so much. Rock was famous in the 80's to the 90's, but not anymore. Now it is rap, hip-hop and Rnb that's on the top. That's a fact, deal with it! What you are saying is again just claims, and you can not prove or disprove it. I say it again and again: It's just YOUR opinion! Rock is dead, and that's a fact!

'Think about the Beatles their music is still leaving the shelves as if they were still topping the charts which leads me to my conclusion. When a rap song is declared to old to listen to, after a short period of time the legends die off. This is why there is very little meaningful rap music nowadays, while rock still has AC/DC, KISS, and many more. Too many to count to inspire the younger artists face to face. Rap lacks this: instead of speaking man to man with the legends, rappers just steal song material from each other, thus creating rivalry and projecting that violence onto there fan base this will never end as long as the legends can not be involved, and yet again I agree that not every song can be positive; no way we need the negative to balance the positive. If there is no negative there can be no positive, but again which music group has the most positive influence on there fan base? I am inclined to say rock yet again because of the above reasons.'

What???????? This was something new. Where does this come from? I have never heard this claims before. But again, can you prove it 120%? Hehe, just opinions my friend, just opinions. You have not given no reasons(that have been proven) that says that rock is more positive to the people. Do you not now that rock is now dead? It's rap, Hip-Hop and Rnb that's on the top. Can you give me 1 big rock hit this last 5-years? 'Rap lacks this: instead of speaking man to man with the legends, rappers just steal song material from each other, thus creating rivalry and projecting that violence onto there fan base this will never end as long as the legends can not be involved'. - Just claims claims and claims! No proves! Just opinions! I now that not just facts can be debated, but you are talking like this is facts, and really, all this is just claims and absurd!

It's a fact that more people like rap then rock. Rock was famous back at the 80's and 90's, but today it's dead. The most famous artists are either rapers, hip-hop'ers or Rnb's. Rock is just screaming, and it's not that talent to it. Rap is more better in so many ways. And that's why people like rap more than rock. Rock make people sad, and they become emo-people. Rock make people take tattoos and piercings.

But again, all this is just opinions, and nothing of this can be proven or disproven. Although my opponent here says he can do it, almost everything he said are just claims and nothing of what he did said can really be proved. Go and listen to a good rap music, and then a good rock music(if it does exist more) and then you say wish you like.
I like rap far better than rock, but do not misunderstand me, not all rock is bad. Thanks for this debate, and good luck with your life.
Posted by XStrikeX 6 years ago
XStrikeX
"I think that rapers gives more positive to the audience, then rockers."
Posted by Ore_Ele 6 years ago
Ore_Ele
Classical.
Vote Placed by knucklepuk 5 years ago
knucklepuk
GensaiMerdeciTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con said that all pro had was opinions then proceeded to throw out nothing but illogical opinions with no sources.
Vote Placed by Aaronroy 5 years ago
Aaronroy
GensaiMerdeciTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument was MUCH more objective than Pro's and had many grammar errors and poor sentence structure. Rock seems to have more meaning behind the songs while rap seems to possess more explicit and, often, illicit content in the lyrics. Con also had many false assertions with his arguments. Let's face it, the rap community is a bunch of thugs. Bad influence abroad said community, as well.
Vote Placed by Raisor 5 years ago
Raisor
GensaiMerdeciTied
Reasons for voting decision: Evening the score.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 6 years ago
quarterexchange
GensaiMerdeciTied
Reasons for voting decision: countering votebomb
Vote Placed by Doritosguy93 6 years ago
Doritosguy93
GensaiMerdeciTied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting debate (or non-debate as some would see it)