cheeto125
zmikecuber

Rap, and rock music does NOT CAUSE VIOLENCE!

zmikecuber
Started: 3/6/2014 Category: Music

cheeto125

Pro

I hate when people say that rap, and rock music cause violence. It does not.
zmikecuber

Con

Interesting topic. I gladly accept. The burden of proof is on my opponent to show that rap and rock music do not cause violence. Since he has not provided an argument in R1, I assume this is for acceptance.

Of course, I may also present some arguments of my own to show that, generally speaking, Rap and Rock music do cause violent behavior.

Over to my opponent!
cheeto125

Pro

Ok. What's your proof that rap, and rock music cause violence?
zmikecuber

Con

To begin with, the resolution is: "Rap and rock music does not cause violence." Thus, the burden of proof is on my opponent to show this statement is false.

As of yet, he has not provided an argument to support this proposition. Thus, he has not met his burden of proof, and the resolution remains unaffirmed.

My opponent states:

"Ok. What's your proof that rap, and rock music cause violence?"

However, this is a fallacy of shifting the burden of proof. (1) My opponent is making a claim, thus he is the one who must show it to be true.

Let's go a step further
Now I've already refuted my opponent's arguments, so I don't even need to present an argument to win. However, I think it would be interesting to present some studies.

We have numerous examples of different studies showing that rap and rock music cause violence. In these psychology experiments, there were three sections:

(i) Those watching a violent music video
(ii) Those watching a non-violent music video
(iii) Those who did not watch a music video at all

At the end, the three groups were asked to fill out a 12 item questionairre.

Scores between 12-16 meant highly aggressive, while scores below 6 indicated less aggression.

According to Eliana Tropeano, those who had watched violent music videos regularly scored in the "violent" region. (2) Furthermore, those who watched a non-violent soothing music video were in the "less violent" region.

This confirms the tests done by Anderson et al. which show that violent music does in fact cause violence in the listener. (3) In addition to this, we have psychology tests done by Arlin James Benjamin Jr. which have the same results. (4)

In conclusion, my opponent has not met his burden of proof. He has made a statement that rap and rock music do not cause violence, and has not met his burden. On the other hand, I have referenced and shown studies which demonstrate that listening to violent music does affect a person's psychology and their behavior.

The resolution remains unaffirmed. Vote Con.

==Sources==
(1)http://www.nizkor.org...
(2)http://library.wcsu.edu...
(3)http://www.psychology.iastate.edu...
(4)http://www.csulb.edu...
cheeto125

Pro

Music lyrics does not cause violence. Wars that we have, that didn't start from music lyrics. Religion, territorial arguments, family disputes, didn't start from music lyrics. Teenagers know right from wrong. They know the consequences of their actions that they choose. They do it cause they want to, but they need something to blame for it. It's ridiculous people blame their actions on entertainment. Even if you take the music away people will still act violently. It's in some people nature to act violent. Music isn't bad at all. It's a nice way to show your personality, and feelings.
zmikecuber

Con

Dropping my arguments
My opponent has dropped my arguments. He simply does not respond to them. Thus, they still stand.

Refuting my opponent's arguments
I'll take a quick moment to refute my opponent's arguments.

"Wars that we have, that didn't start from music lyrics."

My opponent produces a red-herring. I am not arguing that Rap/Rock music causes all violence, but rather that it causes some violence. So this is simply irrelevant.

"Religion, territorial arguments, family disputes, didn't start from music lyrics"

Once again, I am not saying that Rap/Rock music is the cause of all violence in the world, but rather that it does cause violence in the people who listen to it.

"Teenagers know right from wrong. They know the consequences of their actions that they choose. They do it cause they want to, but they need something to blame for it"

My opponent's arguments here are also invalid. This is a fallacy of one cause (1). In reality, there may be a network of causes that bring about violence in certain circumstances.

"Even if you take the music away people will still act violently. It's in some people nature to act violent. Music isn't bad at all. It's a nice way to show your personality, and feelings."

Once again, this simply misses the point. I am not arguing that Rap/Rock music is the sole cause of violence in the world. I'm arguing that Rap/Rock music causes violence in the listeners.

In conclusion, my opponent has dropped my arguments, and has not presented a single sound argument to show that Rap/Rock music does not cause violence.

He has made an assertion, and failed to meet his burden of proof. I have done more than I need, and even shown his statement false.

(1)http://en.wikipedia.org...
cheeto125

Pro

First, I am a FEMALE. Secondly, I understand that you were didn't mean all violence. But I'm saying all those things didn't start from music lyrics. Yes, rap/rock music have violent, cuss, words in them. The listeners are old enough to know if they do the actions that's in the rap/rock music they'll go to jail. It's just in the listeners nature to be violent. And you should stay off of Wikipedia. Not all the information on there is correct. Any one can change that.
zmikecuber

Con

I appologize to my opponent for mistakenly calling her a male. This was an honest mistake.

All I have to do is show that Rap or Rock music cause violence. I have done so, by showing studies, thus I have shown they cause violence. There may also be other factors, such as free will (as my opponent points out) but as I have shown, Rap and Rock music does influence people in a violent manner.

Also, my opponent objects to my using Wikipedia, so I shall give another reference which describes the fallacy of the single cause. (1)

In conclusion, I'd like to thank cheeto125 for the chance to debate her on this subject. I've enjoyed doing a bit of research, and have had a good time. :)

(1)http://www.logicallyfallacious.com...
Posted by PrincessBetta007 2 years ago
PrincessBetta007
I just have to say I agree with zmikecuber. I believe that any type of music can cause violent behavior, country included. But it is depending on the person whether the commit violent behavior.
Posted by zmikecuber 2 years ago
zmikecuber
Hey, you too, cheeto! :)
Posted by cheeto125 2 years ago
cheeto125
I enjoyed debating with you con. And I accept your apology. Have a great day.
Vote Placed by GWL-CPA 2 years ago
GWL-CPA
cheeto125zmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD - Pro made no real arguments or cited any evidence. And, her grammar and spelling were below average. And, she is somewhat rude by typing female in all caps, which gives conduct to Con. Being female proves nothing.
Vote Placed by judeifeanyi 2 years ago
judeifeanyi
cheeto125zmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did his job
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
cheeto125zmikecuberTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made arguments which were sufficient to win this debate. Pro merely presented his/her opinions. Finally Con was the only one with sources.