ctorboh
Anakin

Rap just tells the story of a harsh reality.

Started: 1/16/2014 Category: Music

ctorboh

Pro

Rap and hip Hop today, just as in the past, is always being ripped apart under the dignified microscope of much of main stream society. this genre of music is often times seen as obscene and indecent because of the celebration and promotion on drugs, sex, and violence. The problem with rap isn't in the music itself but the people of view it as an cancer to society. Those who rap simply do not pick up a microphone and start to record the first thing that pops into their heads, they tell stories. The stories that they tell are ones of hardship struggle and triumph. It easy to judge someone when you yourself have never been put in their shoes. You say stealing is bad? Have you ever gone to sleep hungry? have you ever been so poor that your parents could only afford to feed you once a day? My guess is that very few of the people reading this can answer yes to those questions. Rap tells the stories of lives that people were forced to live. when you hear about a meek mill or a lil Wayne talking about selling crack or shooting someone its because it was the only way they could survive the life that they were living. The heinous lifestyles you hear about in rap music are the nightmare realities a lot of kids wake up to day in and day out. You do what's necessary to survive, to see another day. I hear people talking all the time that kids from the "hood" could do so much better for themselves . Well until you grow up in the "hood" that's all it is is just talk. Its easy to pass judgment from a two parent home in a decent neighborhood. When you have lived a comfortable life its easy to have a narrow minded view of the world. Rap is the only way out for a lot of these kids its an outlet. When you play that rap song that talks about the drug dealer on the corner selling crack in a strange way its comforting because you know that somewhere out there someone else feels your struggle, they're going through it too. Rap isn't some obscene language that was just picked up one day... its a lyrical memoir of the life lead by so many every day.
Anakin

Con

First off I want to say I love this topic by my opponent and its a great subject to debate. Now saying that I would have to disagree.

First heres alittle background on myself. Rap music is my favorite genre of music. I've been listening to rap since I was about 7 years old. Im from Detroit one of the most dangerous and impoverish cities in the United States.

My rebuttal.
1st: You said rap music is just telling a story of a harsh reality. Thats not entirely true. I would say some is a harsh reality just like any genre of music i.e. the blues. But rap is also is about boasting, it about degrading women, its about masculinity, violence , creative word play etc. So to say rap music is just a story of a harsh reality is false.

2nd: Heres an excerpt from your round 1 statement:
"The problem with rap isn't in the music itself but the people of view it as an cancer to society. Those who rap simply do not pick up a microphone and start to record the first thing that pops into their heads, they tell stories"

Actually those who rap do simply pick up a microphone and start to record the first thing that pops into their heads, its called freestyling. Freestyle is a style of rap, with or without instrumental beats, in which rap lyrics are improvised, i.e. performed with no previously composed lyrics, and "off the top of the head". http://en.wikipedia.org...

3rd: Heres another excerpt from your round 1 statement:
"when you hear about a meek mill or a lil Wayne talking about selling crack or shooting someone its because it was the only way they could survive the life that they were living"

Meek Mil is one of my favor rappers and any rap fan should listen to his mixtape Dreamchasers 3. Shooting someone and selling crack was the ONLY way they could survive the life they were living" Meek Mil is from Philadelphia a city that has over a million people im sure they were other options where he could made a better living. Lil Wayne is from New Orleans a major metro area and the same goes for him. Now would it be hard , well of course but there's rarely only 1 option as you stated, and this is no exception .

4th: you also said
"Rap is the only way out for a lot of these kids its an outlet"
No its not, sports is also, rap is probably the most popular outlet because its free and easy to assess.

Back to the subject at hand rap is a lot more than just a story of a harsh reality. Its about a lot more.
ctorboh

Pro

ctorboh forfeited this round.
Anakin

Con

Anakin forfeited this round.
ctorboh

Pro

ctorboh forfeited this round.
Anakin

Con

Anakin forfeited this round.