Wylted
ESocialBookworm

Rape Battle part 2

ESocialBookworm

Wylted

Pro

Each round 1 song that is arguably about rape will be presented by each side. Time between arguments is 1 hour.

Voters will decide who had the best songs by whatever criteria they deem fair.

Some simple rules: The songs must be somewhat recognizable. They must also not be overly obscene.

First round is for acceptance.
ESocialBookworm

Con

ESocialBookworm

Con

I am going to run a Kritik[1].

Wylted as the affirmative is making the assumption and defending the fact that one rape is better than the next. This assumption is false. It is impossible to debate under the criteria within this debate because it assumes one song about rape, or one rape is better than another.

All rapes are objectively bad because they afflict harm to people that do not desire it and can inflict permanent damage to the person in question[2]. Thus this resolution is flawed and cannot be affirmed.

Thus, I must present a song that is "arguably about rape”- uplifting a rape victim, Hang On by Plumb.

[1]- http://tinyurl.com...

[2]- http://tinyurl.com...

Wylted

Pro

This debate makes no assumptions about rape being good and is strictly about which songs that are arguanly about rape are better.

If you listen to the lyrics this is a song about raping slaves.

"Old coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright
Hear him with the women just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good?
Brown sugar just like a young girl should"
ESocialBookworm

Con

The word to describe these songs are 'best' which means better than all others in quality or value.[1] This gives off a positive connation of rape and songs associated with rape. It also allows voters to judge on which song about rape is better. As I have stated no song about rape is good because it makes light of rape in general.

“[I]n their analysis of 'Belief and the Basis of Humor,' the philosophers … theorize that particular beliefs are essential to the perception of humor: the individual must be able to access different sets of beliefs about the joke’s subject matter … Under this theory, we can assume that the joke we are examining also requires that we hold a certain set of beliefs, or at least entertain them, in order to perceive it as humorous.”[2]

The rules are invalid since there can be no distinguishing of the quality of songs about rape. No criteria can be set for judging.

;

[1]- http://tinyurl.com...

Wylted

Pro

Esocial, you ruined your Kritic by participating in the debate and still posting videos. You even described your 1st video as uplifting, thus admitting that a rape battle in fact can uplift the victims of rape.

It's hypocritical to run a kritik against rape songs, while posting rape songs.

"And I would be the one
To hold you down
Kiss you so hard
I'll take your breath away
And after I'd wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear"
ESocialBookworm

Con

I posted songs about rape and its effects to go through with the conduct, and follow the rules of the debate.

That said- the rules are still flawed as there is no way to distinguish between the quality of songs about rape- there may be two good songs that can uplift the feelings of scarred victims, and two songs that could make them feel worse- since there is no criteria for judging- it is impossible to grade the songs on which is better, especially since it would be subjective.

"Music is subjective to everyone's unique experience."-Jared Leto[1]

The rules are, as said before- invalid.

VOTE CON!!!

Source:
[1]- http://tinyurl.com...

Wylted

Pro

It's hypocritical to say the rules of the debate are unfair or that the debate is harmful and still participate by following the unfair rules and doing the very activity of posting videos you see as harmful.

As I see it, the posting of videos ruins your kritic. the argument from subjectivity is silly as well because all debates have very subjective voting criteria. I urge voters just to vote for the songs they found more enjoyable.

Song about raping a kid

" Never gonna stop, give it up
Such a dirty mind, always get it up
For the touch of the younger kind"

(Note, all lyrics copy and pasted from following article http://www.cracked.com... )
ESocialBookworm

Con

Rape is harmful, and posting videos encouraging it, like Wylted did, cannot be “best.” The videos I posted above all dealt with an association if rape- and not the action itself, making them somewhat more positive- not ruining my kritic and making my songs “more enjoyable.”

Since it is difficult to discern which is “best” between good things, or bad things, and no standards were set for voting- the rules are void. ‘Silliness’ does not nullify that fact.

This song is reminiscent of psychological projection- self-blaming- for something that happened to someone that they cannot control.

As proven by the K and the negative views towards rape alluded to by the songs, I win.

Please vote Con!

Posted by Slimey_Jack 11 months ago
Slimey_Jack
Social, you won't like me. Try my friend T-H-M
Posted by really12 1 year ago
really12
This is a really old debate but if you listen to Seether, you are awesome :)
Posted by genesis01 1 year ago
genesis01
The title though,
Posted by DarthVitiosus 2 years ago
DarthVitiosus
@ESocialBookworm, That is good you accepted it then. But it is safe to say I am 99% you don't know what I thought lol
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
@Darth, I know what you thought. If I didn't accept, that was what it would have been as well, which is why I accepted.
Posted by DarthVitiosus 2 years ago
DarthVitiosus
@XLAV, I thought the first rape battle was canceled.

@ESocialBookworm , I don't think you want to know what I thought it was.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
@Darth, which is why I accepted the debate.
Posted by XLAV 2 years ago
XLAV
Have you seen the first one?
Posted by DarthVitiosus 2 years ago
DarthVitiosus
This is slightly terrible yet interesting, luckily this debate wasn't what I thought it was.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
-_- nac
Vote Placed by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
WyltedESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate is a tie. Con runs a K, and challenges the assumption made by pro in his affirmative stance. Which is no rape can be judged by quality of which is better because all rapes are bad. She then goes about affirming the resolution which she negated (which would have been a free win). From there she negates her own K. Outside of that its impossible to judge on songs alone. Great debate and great run by con for trying to use a K to negate the assumption made by wytled
Vote Placed by bsh1 2 years ago
bsh1
WyltedESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't really need to evaluate the K because both were topical--both presented songs "arguably about rape." Though, if I were to evaluate the K, I would still be voting as I am now. I preferred Con's songs--song preference is inherently subjective, which is why I dislike debates of this kind, but since I am called upon to make some sort of evaluation, I must embrace that subjectivity and arbitrariness in order to render some kind of vote. Given this, I am awarding points to Con for arguments. [Disclosure: I was asked to vote on this debate by Con.]
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
WyltedESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: So I'm treating this as a song battle. My view is that the kritik isn't valid because Con still engages in the debate. Pro didn't encourage debate involving posting music encouraging rape or showcasing it, and as Pro's own videos follow the line of being "arguably about rape," they just are uplifting songs about it. So, I'll allocate points based on the number of rounds each side is winning. R1: Tie. I'm a fan of both songs. R2: Con. Love Brown Sugar, but Broken is one of my favorite songs. R3: Pro. Slim margin here. R4: Con. Another tight one, since I'm a fan of both songs.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
WyltedESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: There was only 3 songs that I've actually heard of mentioned in this debate. Broken, fallen, and brown sugar, this means that the debate goes to Annie.