Rape Needs to be Taken More Seriously

In today's society, many people think rape is "okay" and that "he/she deserved it." My argument is that rape is not something you should support or condone. No one deserves to be mentally, physically and/or emotionally abused.

Physically: People who are raped have been exposed to possible STDs and other disorders transmitted by bodily fluid. Many rapists are rough and abusive, leaving bruises, scratches and sometimes broken bones. A female victim may become impregnated, causing much pain they might not be ready for.

Mentally/Emotionally: Rape can lead to many mental disorders such as PTSD, eating disorders and anxiety disorders. Rapists often use abusive words to bring down one's self esteem enough to be vulnerable to the rapist. Again, a female may become impregnated, causing stress if the mother is not able and/or ready to raise a child. The stress of wondering what to tell their child about the other parent is also present.

Rape is not okay and is not something to be taken lightly. It doesn't matter what the victim was wearing, under the influence of or what ethnicity they are. Rape is rape and it infringes on one's basic rights to have a sound body and mind.

Pro states "rape needs to be taken more seriously", "more seriously" should be elaborated on. Considering your statements on emotional and physical effects I am assuming that you mean there should be more awareness regarding the negative effects of rape on the victims, is my assumption correct?

Thank you for allowing me this opportunity,

Con is corrected in assuming that there should be more awareness regarding the negative effects of rape but, not to change the entire basis of my argument. People need to be aware of the seriousness of rape and the effects that come afterwards. This awareness causes a person to think about the topic more seriously and in-depth. I mean taking rape seriously as in understanding that no matter what the situation, the event of rape and the effects of it are not to be brushed off or defended.

To further progress my argument, many people blame the victim for leading the rapist on, wearing showy clothes or being too vulnerable. But, no matter what the situation, if permission to perform intercourse was not given, it is rape. And rape is no one but the rapist's fault.

Many people will say that if the rapist was the victim's boyfriend/girlfriend or spouse, then the rapist has the complete right to do whatever they want with their partner's body. But, just because you love someone doesn't mean you want to perform sexual intercourse with them. Rape isn't a right.

Henceforth, people should be made aware of the negative effects of rape as to think about it more in-depth and take it more seriously.

Pro corrects my assumption that "there should be more awareness regarding the negative effects of rape on the victims" with: "People need to be aware of the seriousness of rape and the effects that come afterwards."

It seems were on the same page.

What Makes Them Tic?
My conclusion is that increasing awareness of the negative after effects of rape is not the ideal course of action when attempting to deter the act of rape. My argument is that exposing potential or active rapists to stories of rape will likely only intensify their desire to realize their fantasies and or inspire them with knowledge they are not alone in their desires:

> Dr. Gene Abel, a psychiatrist at Emory University, found that the more a rapist became aroused by scenes of forced sex, the greater the number of his victims, and the more physical injuries the victims were likely to have suffered. Also, Howard Barbaree, a psychologist at Queen's College in Kingston, Ontario, who is also director of a treatment program for sexual offenders, concluded that while non-rapists watched scenes of rape their sexual arousal declined immediately by around 50% upon switching to scenarios of forced sex, whereas convicted rapists did not decline, a percentage even showed markedly higher arousal levels. (1)

Toxicity and Fruitlessness of an Angry Nation
Consider also the fruitlessness of an angry nation, even if introducing the population more intimately with the atrocity of rape does reduce its frequency. Witch hunts and jury bias will come hand in hand ergo increasing the rate of violence against alleged perpetrators in spite of their innocence, the rate of false accusations as people take advantage of heavy national bias and thereby the success rate of false conviction. If an alternate solution without these risks is available, it should be utilized.

Is There a Better Solution?
A less risky and more effective strategy in combating the perpetration of rape is to equip victims with the necessary tools and knowledge to combat it, meanwhile making aware the progress of science toward understanding and reversing the desire to rape. For example, over 1/3 of rapes are perpetrated by intoxicated individuals, steering clear of these scenario will eliminate roughly 33% of all rapes. (2) In addition, perhaps state or federal funding of non-lethal but effective self defense weapons and training could be established for those fearful and or vulnerable to rape. In addition, this could create even more research opportunities for non-lethal defense which would be useful to law enforcement as well as citizens at risk.
2)U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Statistics. 1998 Alcohol and Crime Study.1998.

The Short Dress
Undeniably, a rapist may crack for many reasons; whether it's an attempt to repair debilitating emasculation, out of pure lust perhaps alleged to have been set off by a short dress, a hatred of women, or perhaps just a pure arousal and desire to beget violence and humiliation. If Pro suggests that for any significant percentage of rapists, these "reasons" act as justification I'd say the burden of proof would be on Pro to prove the majority of rapists are more or less sitting in jail bewildered as to why they are there. Feeling similarly to how Pro or I would if we were arrested for breathing. Point is, it's unlikely, even if alleged by the rapist, that they actually think its totally OK while their victim lay crying, beaten, scarred and humiliated, without of course a uncommon and severe mental disorder.

To conclude, I hold that rape is a tragic and horrendous thing and must be swiftly and effectively removed from society. Our proposed ways of dealing with the crisis of rape are simply different.

I agree that there are other, more effective ways to prevent rape but that is not the point of this debate. The title states that rape needs to be taken more seriously. Con make valid points but they do not contribute to the argument I am trying to make. There are many effective and non-effective ways to prevent rape and I agree the one Con proposed is smart and much more effective but I want people to see rape as the disgusting thing it is. There are people who agree with me but there are also people who don't.

In 2013, an unnamed minor was raped by his stepfather. The stepfather was arrested after many attempts and put in prison. But later, he was let out on "good behavior." Imagine having the person who has caused you so much pain and suffering to be let free, in the open, by the government that you are supposed to trust. Now, the debate of getting out good behavior is for another time, but why is rape so unimportant to the government that they let out a rapist with solid evidence.

Rape is often brushed off and defended by people who aren't educated enough to see how serious it is. I'm not talking about rapists, as many of them are far past reasoning, but any normal person, victim or lawmaker/enforcer. Rape needs to be taken seriously by the common public so that they can care enough to help those effected by this terrible deed.

In Round One I sought clarification asking if the topic was whether "there should be more awareness regarding the negative effects of rape on the victims". Pro replied in Round Two that I should be corrected, the actual topic was "People need to be aware of the seriousness of rape and the effects that come afterwards.".

My arguments in Round Two were based off Pro's Round Two 'correction' which seemed more agreement to me. To my surprise Pro claims again in Round Three that my arguments were not within the scope of the debate saying " I want people to see rape as the disgusting thing it is.". Certainly an agreeable sentiment, but the question is whether or not it would be productive to spread news of rape and it's after effects. Simplified, my arguments were:

1) Rapist will likely be inspired rather than deterred by exposure to scenes of rape and how thoroughly humiliating and mentally / physically debilitating it is, since that is much of the reason for rape. (supported by research cited in Round Two)
2) An angry nation creates much risk to citizens, for example; those who wish to take advantage of national bias would falsely accuse innocents also vigilante justice and violence will cause innocents to be harmed or killed.
3) If there is an alternative, such as the one I proposed in Round Two, we should utilize it as to not suffer these possible consequences of spreading the very real horrors of rape.

Regarding Pro's 2013 scenario proposed, I cannot justly speculate on that scenario without a footnote or more detail enabling further research.

In conclusion, Pro's proposition of educating people on "rape as the disgusting thing it is", would not be the most productive, efficient or swift method of dealing with the global crisis of rape and should therefore be excluded from possible solutions.

On a side note, some advice to pro who as it seems is Muslim; Inquire and identify what factors in the teachings of Islam could be linked to the spread of spousal abuse, non-consenting sex and gender inequality. Perhaps your environment contributes to your passion on this issue?

To assist in this, I will post a few verses from Quran and Hadith that may be of some use:

Before I start, several things should be cleared up:
1) Regarding arguing context and misinterpretation of these verses: If you tell me once "This does not mean what it seems to be saying" I may accept it. If you do it twice I will raise an eyebrow. If you do it three times I will begin to doubt you. If you do it for page-after-page as many Western-thinking Muslims would be tempted, you have lost all credibility.
2) For arguments sake, let's say all of the verses below are 100% misinterpreted or out of context... To an outsider, or a woman in an Islamic society, this means nothing until the Muslim world at large understands that all of these verses actually don't mean the things they seem to regarding women. On an intellectual and historical level I can't fathom that these could all be misinterpreted. Furthermore, would a perfect God really beget such a obscure, misinterpreted and corrupted book?
3) Please do read all of these verses and think hard before erecting the impenetrable mental defense of the religious mind.

Women in Court
Qur'an (2:282) - (Court testimony) "And call to witness, from among your men, two witnesses. And if two men be not found then a man and two women."
Qur'an (4:11) - (Inheritance) "The male shall have the equal of the portion of two females" (see also verse 4:176). In Islam, sexism is mathematically established.

Women and Rape
Muslim (8:3309) - Muhammad consummated his marriage to Aisha when she was only nine. (See also Bukhari 58:234 and many other places). No where in the reliable Hadith or Sira is there any other age given.
Bukhari (6:298) - Muhammad would take a bath with the Aisha and fondle her.
Bukhari (62:137) - An account of women taken as slaves in battle by Muhammad's men after their husbands and fathers were killed. The woman were raped with Muhammad's approval.
Bukhari (34:432) - Another account of females taken captive and raped with Muhammad's approval. In this case it is evident that the Muslims intend on selling the women after raping them because they are concerned about devaluing their price by impregnating them. Muhammad is asked about coitus interruptus (pull out birth control method).
Qur'an (33:50) - "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee"
Qur'an (23:5-6) - "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..." This verse permits the slave-owner to have sex with his slaves.
Qur'an (4:24) - "And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess." Even sex with married slaves is permissible.

Women in Marriage
Qur'an (2:223) - "Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will..." A man has dominion over his wives' bodies as he does his land. This verse is overtly sexual.
Qur'an (4:3) - (Wife-to-husband ratio) "Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four" Inequality by numbers.
Qur'an (4:34) - "Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."
Qur'an (38:44) - "And take in your hand a green branch and beat her with it, and do not break your oath..." Allah telling Job to beat his wife (Tafsir).
Bukhari (72:715) - A woman came to Muhammad and begged her to stop her husband from beating her. Her skin was bruised so badly that she it is described as being "greener" than the green veil she was wearing. Muhammad did not admonish her husband, but instead ordered her to return to him and submit to his sexual desires.
Muslim (4:2127) - Muhammad struck his favorite wife, Aisha, in the chest one evening when she left the house without his permission. Aisha narrates, "He struck me on the chest which caused me pain."
Muslim (9:3506) - Muhammad's father-in-laws (Abu Bakr and Umar) amused him by slapping his wives (Aisha and Hafsa) for annoying him. According to the Hadith, the prophet of Islam laughed upon hearing this.
Abu Dawud (2141) - "Iyas bin "Abd Allah bin Abi Dhubab reported the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) as saying: Do not beat Allah"s handmaidens, but when "Umar came to the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) and said: Women have become emboldened towards their husbands, he (the Prophet) gave permission to beat them."
Abu Dawud (2142) - "The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: A man will not be asked as to why he beat his wife."
Qur'an (2:178) - "O ye who believe! Retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the murdered; the freeman for the freeman, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female." The message of this verse, which prescribes the rules of retaliation for murder, is that all humans are not created equal. The human value of a slave is less than that of a free person (and a woman's worth is also distinguished from that of a man's).
Quran (66:5) - "Maybe, his Lord, if he divorce you, will give him in your place wives better than you, submissive, faithful, obedient, penitent, adorers, fasters, widows and virgins" A disobedient wife can be replaced. A man can only have up to four wives, but he can rotate as many women as he pleases in and out of the lineup.

Pro, stay strong and do attempt to distance yourself for your own protection from those who would follow these above commands.

Posted by bluesteel 1 year ago
>stefy: Moderator removed vote<

Voted 4 points to Pro (arguments, conduct) and 2 points to Con (sources). RFD was: "Con, did you really need Pro to define 'more seriously?'"

*Reason for removal.* This RFD failed to explain its arguments and sources votes. At best, it explained its annoyance with Con's nitpicking, which may have been sufficient to award conduct.
Posted by Interloped 1 year ago
Stefy, yes I most definitely did need clarification on that very widely interpretable statement. "Taken more seriously" could mean capitally punish rapists from one perspective or devote research toward its psychological study in the other... Two VASTLY different debates. I find your scrutiny of my request for clarity unfair and denoting of bias. Please take the time to read both sides... Not just my acceptance in round one then jump to the conclusion that by con I mean rape should be ignored.
Posted by Based 1 year ago
Who cares about rape?
Posted by racsomv 1 year ago
I mean con
Posted by racsomv 1 year ago
Who would go pro
Posted by Inquistive 1 year ago
The number is small on most internet platforms such as this website and Tumblr, but in the real world, many people I have met don't take rape lightly. Besides, a good debater can pose a good debate on the side they don't necessarily agree with on a personal level.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
So you admit the number is small? Cause that kinda refutes your first argument there.
Posted by Inquistive 1 year ago
I realize that the number is small but I feel strongly about this and I need one more debate so I can vote on other debates.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Fairly certain that the amount of people who take rape lightly is rediculously small sooooo whats the point of this?