Vaibhav
Daktoria

Rationalism pertains to Atheism (Rationalist ought to be an Atheist)

Daktoria

Vaibhav

Con

Being an Indian with 33 million gods I am very much a theist but being an educated graduate I have a bit of rationalism in me often overpowered by superstitions and irrationalism. So for me its not really that necessary for a rationalist to be an Atheist as personally I am a rationalist but because of family have to support irrationalism
Daktoria

Pro

Are you talking about philosophical rationalism? Some would say rationalism is religious because it depends on abstract reason.

Empiricism is treated as anti-religious because it demands evidence for everything.
Vaibhav

Con

Actually talking about empiricism may be something off topic because again its a type of rationalism with different source of logical explanations given. Empiricism deals with learning from experience while rationalism has different source but not anything related to superstition etc.
I am saying it would be off topic because it will take a different path of types of rationalism.
Here is what will give you an insight why suggested this topic , it was a matter of personal inquistiveness.

The other day I was just going through some articles on the topic whether Astrological predictions hold true...and most of the articles and comments of people I read I could observe that the ones rejecting astrology and the likes (supernatural occurences, exorcism etc.) so called rationalists claim to be atheists too...So I was just thinking whether its a mere coincidence or this is the case with every one the one who is a RATIONALIST ought to be an Atheist too.
Daktoria

Pro

I understand what you're saying.

My understanding is atheists often call rationalists dogmatic though. For example, rationalists often believe in "a priori" reason, free will, self-forming agency, moral universalism, etc. Atheists tend to be relativists who claim that rationalism is just an opinion without evidence. The only difference between rationalism and religion is semantics.

How do you deal with that?
Vaibhav

Con

As far as my opine is concerned I really do not believe that Rationalist and Atheists are just differed by semantics.
They have different ideologies altogether

Rationalist like you said though are self forming agency etc. and they simply reject the very notion of the supernatural but yet you may find many of them believing in God and likes. They may explain an accident with rational reasons but yet if they are saved from it most of them will be thanking GOD.
Atheists are a different lot they in both the cases will not bringing in God. So not necessary for a rationalist to be an Atheist
Daktoria

Pro

OK, so if it's not necessary for a rationalist to be an atheist (because there's more different than just semantics), why ought rationalists be atheists?

To be clear, I agree with what you said about explaining accidents with rational reasons. That's called "apologism".
Vaibhav

Con

Oh i apologise, I forgot to put a ' ? ' in the topic name it had be " Rationalist ought to be atheists? "
My bad, it changed the meaning, though you may see in my first myself disagree with the fact that rationalists ought to be atheists it was a question lol sorry
Daktoria

Pro

OK, I see what you're saying. In that case, could you explain how Hindu Karma is compatible with the rational notion of free will?
Vaibhav

Con

Vaibhav forfeited this round.
Daktoria

Pro

hmmm... ok
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
VaibhavDaktoriaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit during cross examination...