LadyLover123
InfiniteShadow

Rats make good pets

LadyLover123

LadyLover123

Pro

First round: acceptance only
InfiniteShadow

Con

I accept this debate. I hope we have a good debate! :D
My opponent says that rats make good pets.
Rat pets can be cute, funny, and show a personality. But, rat pets quickly develop a lot of weird diseases:
- Dematitis
- Mange
- Bumble feet
- Cysts
- Tumors
- etc
- and various infections and self injuries, because the rat scratches or bites itself because of one or several of the above diseases. The health and life of your rat will quickly become a nightmare. If like me, you tend to consider your pets like full members of your family, your rat pet will become a great source of worries.. and if you're not cruel, you'll be forced to give an end to its agony.

(If I am bad, sorry! This is my first debate. A noob here.)
LadyLover123

Pro

I can't dispute that yes, rats have short lifetimes compared to many other household pets (although I currently have a girl whose almost 3 and still going strong). I disagree, however, that this detracts so much from the overall value of rats as pets as to say that rats don't make good pets. On the point itself of the inevitably short lifespan of rats, I believe that this teaches children in families with rats the unfortunate but necessary lesson that the things we love eventually die. In this way children learn from an early age how to grieve in a healthy way, surrounded by loved ones and support. For adults owning rats, yes, the deaths can be hard as well. Some choose to give up rat ownership because of it, some don't, and for those who don't, inevitable death is a necessary evil. But those who don't decide so because rats are worth it. In their short lives, rats are capable of filling homes and hearts with so much joy and companionship that it can be difficult to remember a time without squeaky little runts trying to steal your breakfast in the morning, begging for boggle-inducing snuggles, or simply being a window into the inherent goodness of the worlds. There is no doubt that rat ownership is difficult, and comes with a certain contractual element of heartbreak, but there are so many admirable and redeemable traits to rats that I argue it's worth it. My evidence is Marty the Mouse (the Rat). For reference see his Facebook page Martin "Marty" Mouse, and his website, MartyMouseHouse.com. Here we have a rat who touched over 18,000 lives (based on Facebook following), who recently died. In his short life he brought happiness, hope, and warm laughter to me and thousands of others with his sweet ways and the anthropomorphism provided by his photographers and "translators" (his mom). Yes, he died, but even in doing so he couldn't take away all the joy that he had given us. When my sweet girl Nemosabe was put to sleep after contracting a pituitary tumor, I was devastated, and cried for days. But this experience gives me the authority to say that she was absolutely worth every moment of pain for all the joy she brought me. For some, it ISN'T worth it, but it doesn't change the fact that rats are good pets.
InfiniteShadow

Con

InfiniteShadow forfeited this round.
LadyLover123

Pro

Please provide a rebuttal or you will forfeit the debate.
InfiniteShadow

Con

InfiniteShadow forfeited this round.
InfiniteShadow

Con

InfiniteShadow forfeited this round.
Posted by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
Rats are cool
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Saying "I accept, since I think rats are annoying disease ridden pests." would have also been fine. When you provide warrants to your claims, and a detailed list, you cross the line above merely accepting the challenge.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Your first round should have been little more than "I accept." You can still win the debate, but by providing so much detail beyond acceptance, you have forfeited conduct.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
LadyLover123InfiniteShadowTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
LadyLover123InfiniteShadowTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments went uncontested, so Pro wins by default. Conduct to Pro for Con's round forfeits.