whitesoxman77
seanybum

Real Life Situation: Need Help!!!!!

whitesoxman77

Pro

Okay debate.org I need help! Here's the situation. I was recruited by a club at my school to perform a dance about 3 weeks ago. I have been practicing with them since that time. I have a partner in the group, Kim. And I have learned the dance routine. Three days ago I was informed I needed to have a permission sheet. So I went to get it from the teacher when she told me they were due a month ago... I explained that I did not know and was not informed about the sheet and still pleaded for admittance to the club. She countered by saying I still needed to go to two meetings for the club, which obviously I didn't know about either. I then said, "I didn't know about the meetings or the club my group leaders should have informed me." She rebutted with there were announcements for this all over the place. Which I then countered with, "Before I was recruited I did not want to join the club, and after I was recruited I thought by attending the meetings and practices at the group leader's house was sufficient for fulfilling my requirement as a member of the group. She just said no to that. I am an AP student, I have a 3.4 GPA, I am in the teaching internship class at my school, I am physical education leader at my school, I don't do drugs, smoke, or drink, all I did was not hand in a simple permission form that only needed the signature of my parent and myself. As for the meetings I was required to attend, I don't know the subject matter, but I was told by my fellow group members that they were not very informative or helpful, but instead a waste of time. I have no problem signing the permission form, or doing anything else for this club, but the fact that I am late in signing up is hindering me from being able to do something I genuinely enjoy, and that other people enjoy my presence at. To make this all worse I am a senior, so this my last chance to do any of this ever again. THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN DEBATER. I need you to give me ammo to use against my administration, as well as their possible counter-arguments my administration will use against me, and if you can maybe ideas I can use to rally support for my cause. Anything helps! Thank you for your generosity and compassion!
seanybum

Con

I accept this debate, lol.

1. THE POWER OF THE PARENT.
Never underestimate your parents. Sending a simple email with a half-arsed, plausible excuse will almost always work. Even if it's male-cow-faeces, does it really matter? Teachers aren't exactly high up in the chain of command (no offence to any teachers that might happen to read this), and they don't have the right to publicly mark your argument as a false one, even if it is or not. By the way, you're age will definitely make a difference. I'm 14 personally, and it always works for me. Being 17 in your case might pin you as an a*shole.

2. Stress the reliance of the rest of the group on your performance.
You stated that other people enjoy having you around, and it always helps to have backers on the inside. Teachers, in most cases, are normal human beings, not evil overlords, and they are easily swayed by a group opinion. And who does your partner dance with once you're gone? That's right, no one (please don't embarrass me by pointing out that there's someone else to take your place; it ruins my whole argument :P)

3. Try to point out the benefits of your attendance to the teacher you are dealing with.
If you end up getting your parents to send an email and the teacher just hates you at this point, it always helps to soften them instead of smugly pointing out where they are wrong. "Yes, I completely understand that there are matters of protocol to deal with, but I really think you and I would both benefit in the end If I was included, seeing as there is no-one else to take my place (again, I'm making assumptions here)."

4. If there is any other teacher that can back you up, you would be set.
It's an awesome feeling to just waltz in, the teacher asking why you're here when you're not supposed to be, and you replying with a rebuttal stating that a teacher further up in the hierarchy said you could join in. There's little they can do to complain in that case.

As for your counter arguments, you would just need to come up with a reasonable excuse that accounts for your late form inclusion and the non-attendance of the meetings. They were unimportant, you were away on those days, it doesn't really matter if I hand these notes in late, does it? I assume this teacher is a real stickler for the rules, so If she fights tooth and nail to fight for the position then there's probably little you can do. Also, if you have a friend with you, they can casually counter her arguments on the side, with the emphasis on the word casually (you don't want anyone to get too suspicious).

Anyways, I feel that in the long run it always helps to adopt the stance of the suck-up character, if you get my drift.
I don't know if this helps or not, but it's an opinion. It's probably more down-to-earth-in-your-face than you would like, but then again I do live in Australia. Good luck with getting your place.
whitesoxman77

Pro

Okay so after I posted my argument my mom decided to call the asst. principal whom i talked to the same day, and he said he stood behind the teacher's position. Disappointed my mother questioned him as to why? He reiterrated the importance of my attendance at the meetings. My mom then asked him, "What takes place at those meetings anyway?" He couldn't provide an answer. When I was told about this, I asked one of my fellow group members if he had gone to two meetings and he said no he didn't. So my mom then sent an email enraged saying something to the effect of, "There are students who did not attend the meetings, and I suggest you find them and remove them from the club because if my son can not join because of failure to attend these meetings then so should these students." I also had my father send in an e-mail to the principal, teacher, and asst. principal; and my mother has told me she plans on seeing the principal on Monday. If you could hold off on your answer for as long as possible, I will hopefully have an update for you on Monday/Sunday night. Also I plan to garner support from my social studies teachers who all LOVE me because the teacher who runs the club is like the only social studies teacher who does not know me, and if that fails we plan to take the story to a local newspaper. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP COMMENTERS AND DEBATER.
seanybum

Con

seanybum forfeited this round.
whitesoxman77

Pro

whitesoxman77 forfeited this round.
seanybum

Con

seanybum forfeited this round.
whitesoxman77

Pro

whitesoxman77 forfeited this round.
seanybum

Con

seanybum forfeited this round.
whitesoxman77

Pro

whitesoxman77 forfeited this round.
seanybum

Con

seanybum forfeited this round.
Posted by seanybum 5 years ago
seanybum
holy s*** going in hard!!!!
Posted by whitesoxman77 5 years ago
whitesoxman77
Thank You!!!!
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
this should have been posted in the Education or Personal Forum.

Anyway, I suggest going to the school's guidance counselor and say that you understand that your situation is unusual, but you don't know to whom to appeal the decision or what to offer as compensation. Ask for guidance. If the guidance counselor says anything at all, You can then say that the counselor told you to do x,y, and z, with an implied official stamp of approval. Offer to make up the meetings and don't say they were useless, just that they are unrelated to the dance.

Keep in mind that elaborate systems of rules are for the purpose of freeing bureaucrats from having to exercise judgement. Thinking is painful and leads to responsibility. That means your chances are not great. I know a girl who transferred high school from New York to California. California made her go to summer school to meet the California requirement for gym classes. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
2nd comment - Go to every possible person in the school administration who may be able to help you in this situation along with a few people who couldnt help. This probably wont work initially but if word starts to get around that you really really want to be on this team someone may help you out and eliminate the paperwork. Again it wont guarantee anything but it could give you a chance
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
Ive been in almost the same situation and heres what will help. 1) If you know enough people in the group try to get them to plead with whoever is in charge to let you complete the forms. Trust me the number 1 pet peeve of any teacher in school is to repeat the same answer to the same question over and over and over and over. If you get enough people to rally to your side the person in charge may give you a CHANCE. They will never give you a guarantee but they will always give you a chance. If you could also get people you now on the inside to vouch for how valuable you are to the team that would also help.