ali2223
Dujec

Reality Family Shows are Ridiculous

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 11 hours ago Status: Voting Period

ali2223

Pro

I think that Reality family shows are ridiculous. They are unnecessary and just dumb.
Dujec

Con

ali2223

Pro

So, opponent, why did you accept this debate? I am right. The Reality Family shows these days are so dumb their funny. I mean come on, what is so amazing about them? They are not like Reba. They don't teach lessons that we can learn. I'm right and you know it.
Dujec

Con

So, opponent, why did you accept this debate?

I liked your name (don’t think about the bloody mary) and the topic was interesting but indefensible.

I am right. The Reality Family shows these days are so dumb they’re funny.

Funny has a real purpose so that’s definitely not ridiculous (deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd). Laughter has any number of benefits and humor is a core essential need for everyone. You cannot possibly be right since you’re expressing an opinion.

That’s actually where I would go with this one. You could say you’re most certainly right since you’re only expressing a personal opinion (my argument not mentioned by Pro). I would then argue that your debate implies a general ‘truth’ claim and we could have had a semantic/kritic battle going.

I mean come on, what is so amazing about them? They are not like Reba. They don't teach lessons that we can learn. I'm right and you know it.

Opinions aren’t right or wrong and I’m sure you know that. It’s not literally true that all of these shows are futile. I learned a lot about people and the limits of endurance and character watching ‘deadliest catch’ [6]. It’s a show that focuses on crab fisherman and their families. It was entertaining and helped me to see that my situation wasn’t all that bad, compared to crab fishermen anyway.

I’ve never watched Reba but you’re claiming it has some value conceding that not all family reality shows are ridiculous.

Lesson’s Learned

I don’t really watch a lot of reality tv but ‘The Osbournes’ [3] showed me an alternate view of the world that’s dissimilar from my experiences. Though often coached or slightly scripted you are getting interesting highlights from real lives. That’s true of every family ‘reality’ tv show. Many shows, like 30 days [4] or undercover boss [5] explicitly explore themes designed to help people understand and empathize with others.

I’ve never watching keeping up with the kardashians [1] or Jersey Shore [2] but I have learned a lot about what the U.S. culture values just from reading up on the shows and reflection of our culture. Not encouraging things but still.

Futility

Your claim is that there is no real purpose to these shows, that they should be shunned and avoided. They are not and attract a large audience. For me, that’s the point. Why are we watching these shows as a nation? Watching them is a snapshot of a lot of poor cultural trends.

Now that I think about it, I’ll have to watch more and encouraged any thinking activist types to as well.

-

Reality shows are just a mirror. It shows us what we value, think about and desire. It’s a black mirror (crazy creepy Netflix binge) but we really need to take a good look. Reality tv is an informative pop cultural phenomena and we owe it to ourselves to understand why. Reality tv for 2020!

[1] http://www.imdb.com...

[2] http://www.imdb.com...

[3] http://www.imdb.com...

[4] http://www.imdb.com...

[5] http://www.imdb.com...

Posted by Dujec 1 day ago
Dujec
Still, good stuff. Reality family tv is ridiculous, in general, but my I could never prove that.
Posted by ali2223 1 day ago
ali2223
ok whatever
Posted by ali2223 1 day ago
ali2223
ok whatever
Posted by Dujec 2 days ago
Dujec
you conceded an auto win to Con since you didn't offer an argument but I'll put some time into it. In general your resolution was too broad imo. Obviously all reality family shows are not ridiculous so one show that isn't disproves your case. You didn't define ridiculous leaving me with a chance to choose a definition in my favor. 'Ridiculous' is very subjective so it's ridiculous to prove an argument based on that adjective. There's just no clear way to prove your point since the resolution is so broad/vague. Welcome to the site btw; it's a hella lot of learning just visiting here.
Posted by Dujec 3 days ago
Dujec
Hey there. I'll pass the first round arguments to you. Broad topic and the general point of reality tv isn't ridiculous imo. Interesting topic so looking forward to it.