KingofTheSkullServants
devcoch

Reasons why I dislike school

KingofTheSkullServants has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 days ago Status: Debating Period

KingofTheSkullServants

Pro

Setting word limits are stupid. For example, if I make my point in one to two pages, why are you forcing me to write 5 pages of something I already made my point on in much less writing. This is made especially bad if you're given a certain topic. For example, I have to write a 10 page essay on why infused jazz music has mad music rise back up. Basically, if I've made my point, let me just turn my essay in, don't set limits. Speaking of certain topics, why would you give them. There's a very likely chance that one person, at least, will not know the topic. Something else that I don't like is the fact that some of the stuff you learn in school will more likely become irrelevant to you in the future. Something else I dislike is the fact that some teachers either don't do their best at teaching their students, and some teachers won't teach much. Something that I never understood was the fact that you had to wear a P.E. uniform in P.E. What's the point, is it because its better than wearing jeans and a T-shirt. The only thing that you would have to wear a P.E. uniform is if you were wearing a skirt or a dress, or something. I'd rather wear the clothes I'm wearing to school, instead of paying money for clothes that I'm going to use for about a hour at a time.
devcoch

Con

Setting word limits teaches you to flesh out a subject and truly research it and teaches you how to use sources, how to reference, how to cite... It can be frustrating but 5 pages or 10 on how jazz has made music rise back up could be covered in a number of ways. It may seem stupid, but those limits certainly helped teach me how to research, form arguments, and look at the subject in different ways to make the paper longer.

You say "Speaking of certain topics, why would you give them. There's a very likely chance that one person, at least, will not know the topic." That is good. That means they will have to learn about the topic and actually further their knowledge. This is not a negative thing.

"some of the stuff you learn in school will more likely become irrelevant to you in the future." Sure, some might. However, using the argument that you want to not learn things because you may not use them is, to me, a little silly. Learning is always good, having knowledge is good. Just because you feel you may not use it does not mean that you won't. Again, learning is good. People say this with things like Math or Literature classes and I find it odd people don't want to have knowledge.

Yes, some teachers suck. It is unfortunate when you get a bad teacher, but not much of a debate there...

About the P.E. uniforms, I believe that is because you do activities in P.E. that require movement. I never minded changing, I'd rather not get what I'm wearing sweaty or dirty from whatever activity there was that day.
KingofTheSkullServants

Pro

Regarding your first point. Setting a work, page, or character limit is pointless. If you made a point in about 400 words and you have to have the essay be 1,000 wards, the only thing you're accomplishing is having you paper being lengthy at best and pointless at worst. Also, setting word limits does not teach you how to site or reference, unless the paper requires you to do research, then yes, but for most of the time, no it won't.

Second, no it won't help them. All it would accomplish is having the person get a bad grade because they don't know about the subject.

Third, yes it might seem a bit silly. But, it's still a fair point to make. We have 12 years of education (in the US) and some of it is being taught irrelevant things.

And on your last point, it's just something I never understood and found stupid. Does it matter whether we get sweaty. Regardless, we're going to wash our clothes anyways, so what's the point. It's just one more thing to worry about. When I went to middle school, so kids got detention because they didn't wear their PE uniforms. Overall, I just found that stupid.
devcoch

Con

Firstly, when you get to writing actual papers, yes almost every single one does require some sort of research. Again, it gives you the opportunity to learn more by finding out more on a topic. You may find it annoying, but it's not really debatable.

Secondly, if that happens, then that person did not try and do not care about their grades. You go to school to learn. You go to learn and you may have to do additional research to learn more about a subject.

Thirdly, no, it's not really. Again, learning is good. Just because you are annoyed and frustrated with school doesn't mean those things will later be irrelevant. Knowledge is never a bad thing to have, nor is expanding by learning something.

And finally yeah it may be annoying and stupid to you. But it isn't really debatable that you do not like it and find it stupid.

Much of this isn't really debatable things just complaints about why you don't like school.
Posted by tonyrobinson 3 days ago
tonyrobinson
You spoke about writing about pointless topics as useless. Writing about a topic even a meaningless one has its benefits. Sometimes the point is not necessarily the topic of the paper but the paper itself. Writing such papers helps you to be a much better writer. After writing a few papers you will learn methods that will make the next paper much easier to write. That will better prepare you for college when papers are very common requirements and you don't always have the luxury of learning as you go there.
Posted by Tom-The-Hypocrit 4 days ago
Tom-The-Hypocrit
Although some subjects are meaningless... Oh wait, that's the point!! Thats also what you'll probably have to go through in university, particularly in the lower courses. Want to be an astrologist? Well, when you do your BoS degree you probably wont learn much about the stars and as such, the information learn't there is pointless. But you have to do it. Doing this at school teaches you that just because you don't like a subject or are never going to use it in the "real world" you still need to put effort and time into it. Remember that school isn't tailor-made to your interests or future career prospects.
Posted by Tom-The-Hypocrit 4 days ago
Tom-The-Hypocrit
Posted by Tom-The-Hypocrit 4 days ago
Tom-The-Hypocrit
people add word limits because when essays are used in the real world, they need to be short and fleshy. No-one wants to hear an hour long speech or a 2 hour presentation in the workplace (or anywhere else). I would advise you to use common sense
Posted by Some_Confused_Kid 5 days ago
Some_Confused_Kid
How is this a debate again? Your just listing reasons why you don't like school.Maybe put it in the forums?