madness
kikiki

Recreational cannabis should be illegal.

kikiki has forfeited round #3.

madness

Pro

My stance is I believe recreational cannabis should be illegal.
kikiki

Con

I accept the challenge.
madness

Pro

In this debate, I will attempt to explain why recreational cannabis should be illegal, and I would like to begin my opening argument by touching on how cannabis affects the brain.

It's no secret that cannabis, being the hallucinogen that it is, changes your brain chemistry. The question is, what does this change of brain chemistry mean?

Cannabis affects adolescents in a more negative way, than it affects adults, as the brain of adolescents is still developing. In a society where cannabis is legal, it's undoubtedly going to be smoked by those that are under age. We should make cannabis illegal to protect our children if nothing else.

http://www.muirwoodteen.com....

Cannabis affects everyone differently, some users will experience very little negative effects, but there are plenty of people who will experience very negative effects caused by weed, such as,
-Acute psychosis
-Depersonalization/de-realization symptoms
-Anxiety
-Chronic psychosis
-Schizophrenia
-Depressive disorder
-Mania symptoms
-Suicidal behaviour
-Depression

Source for mental illnesses caused by long term smoking.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

Another source supporting effects of long term smoking.
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk...

Source for link between cannabis and suicide.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk...

It's clear that cannabis is not healthy for the brain. Other than some claim it makes them more confident, I fail to have found any positive affects for the brain caused by cannabis. With our brains being the most important organ in our entire body, why would we want to risk damaging it, and damaging the brains of our children?

There are variables and differences between data and research done, such as the strain of cannabis they smoke, cannabis is a lot stronger now, than ever before and will continue to grow in strength, this renders past data for cannabis useless. Not enough research has been done on the long term affects of cannabis and the brain. With there being so little facts to suggest it is safe, why risk it? Don't let a drug that could cause life long brain dysfunction into our society. Instead campaign for more research.

To conclude I would like you to read this link, where people who smoke weed have voiced their experiences about anxiety. Please read the comments, as it's proof that people are experiencing negative effects while and after smoking.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...

I don't really want to get into how it deteriorated you get up and go, and how it can affect your lungs...Because this should be MORE than enough for round one, at least.
kikiki

Con

Yes, cannabis can cause mental deficiencies among some parts of the population. This if the person has been regularly abusing marijuana since childhood, or to those who have a specific variant of the AKT 1 gene. [1] AKT 1 gene is a gene that controls the dopamine output. Dopamine is the chemical released during pleasuring activities (sex, eating chocolate, being in love...). If there is a defect in this gene, then yes, marijuana can cause depression, suicidial thoughts etc. There is also a special version of the gene for COMT which is a gene that produces the enzyme catechol-O-methyltransferase. This enzyme degrades the neurotransmiters, such as dopamine, in your brain and helps to control the level of certain hormones.[2] If you have a defect, you are screwed. No weed for you young man.

So if your genes aren't retarded, you are okay. You can smoke weed if you aren't a weird mutant.

And yes, use since childhood can cause IQ deficiencies. But you forgot one fact. Most liberals, like me (I think), also want the drug regulated. THC for example, the compound that causes the high, should be regulated. There are canaboids that do decrease the effects of THC [3], but I believe it is safer to just regulate the dosage.

And many studies have proven as you have said that weed has a greater effect on teens than on adults. That is why we have regulations. We should set up a regulation to 21+ years, like with alcohol or porn. Now, you may say: "Well teens can buy alcohol and watch porn way below the age of 21." Yes they can. They can also buy illegal, enhanced weed from that shady guy that lies in the dumpster and makes airplane noises. This way, they will buy marijuana which is neither as addicting, nor as potent.

Also Canada has legalized pot and there is nothing wrong with them and everyone likes them. Be like Canada my friend.

[1]https://www.drugabuse.gov...

[2]https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov...#

[3]""In some cases, reported side effects of THC include elation, anxiety, tachycardia, short-term memory recall issues, sedation, relaxation, pain-relief and many more," said A.J. Fabrizio, a marijuana chemistry expert at Terra Tech Corp, a California agricultural company focused on local farming and medical cannabis. However, he said, a study in the British Journal of Pharmacology found that other types of cannabinoids, as well as terpenes (compounds that produce flavor and fragrance in plants), can modulate and reduce negative effects." - http://www.livescience.com...
madness

Pro

I would like to refute and touch upon a few of your statements if I may.

You begin your first argument by saying-

"Yes, cannabis can cause mental deficiencies among some parts of the population. This if the person has been regularly abusing marijuana since childhood, or to those who have a specific variant of the AKT 1 gene."

Then you sum up your first argument by saying-

"So if your genes aren't retarded, you are okay. You can smoke weed if you aren't a weird mutant."

Cannabis will negatively affect people with underlying mental disorders, which is a surprisingly high percentage of the population. As well as people who smoke while in their teenage years, because it's a critical time for their brain development. it also affects people with the AK 1 gene.
According to recent estimates, approximately 20 percent of Americans, or about one in five people over the age of 18, suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. This means the total number of Americans who will suffer mental disorders from smoking cannabis, such as depression, anxiety and psychosis are very high.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov... -Source showing how many Americans have underlying mental disorders.

Knowing that 1 in 5 Americans could develop a form of mental disorder due to their underlying condition and cannabis, could we really justify legalising it? I fail to see any positive effects on mental health.
Legalising cannabis will make it easily accessible to children and teenagers. They could steal it from their parents or ask a stranger to buy some for them, in exchange for half the amount ( I used to do this with cigarettes. When I was under age)
Knowing that cannabis has a major impact on the development of teenage brains, we simply can not risk having an epidemic of anxiety and depression, amongst other mental disorders caused by cannabis.
I would ask my opponent to provide mental benefits for cannabis, as that's what I've failed to find.

You state-

"Also Canada has legalized pot and there is nothing wrong with them and everyone likes them. Be like Canada my friend."

Canada has not legalised cannabis recreationally.
Canada have only legalised it medically. however, the medical benefits of cannabis are still in question and if such benefits do exist, they have not been fully recognised by science. Instead many medical professionals claim the "benefits" are just a placebo effect. Some scientists say it has medical benefits on pain relief, nausea and headaches. Why then, do doctors not offer you a vape full of cannabis? Because all research seems to vary from person to person, indicating a placebo affect.

Despite this, I have no problem with cannabis being used for medical purposes, as it's a great way to research the drug.
Certain groups in Canada hope to push for full legalisation by spring 2017, but this will violate many global treaties, so I'm doubtful that will even happen.
My point is simply- Canada has not legalised recreational use.

http://www.cbc.ca... -Source showing that Canada has not legalised recreation use of cannabis.

Conclusion.

Cannabis is a hallucinogenic, which means it's a psychoactive agent which can cause hallucinations, perceptual anomalies, and other substantial subjective changes in thoughts, emotion, and consciousness. The common types of hallucinogens are psychedelics, dissociatives and deliriants.
I don't think children should have easy access to a hallucinogenic and I don't think we should risk many people developing anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, psychosis and many more mental disorders, simply because some people want to push for legalisation and then get high and lounge about all day playing video games.

We can not control the strains of cannabis, they will keep getting more potent as the demand for a better high grows. Stronger cannabis means a stronger and more diverse development of mental disorders.

Get high on life, not on cannabis.
Posted by kikiki 11 months ago
kikiki
Sure man. We'll start Friday.
Posted by madness 11 months ago
madness
Only if you're willing to copy and paste what was already written down. Because I don't want to begin from scratch.
Posted by kikiki 11 months ago
kikiki
Hey madness, my internet was down. Can we reinitate this debate on Friday?
Posted by madness 11 months ago
madness
I just want to mention, anyone who says "cannabis is not addictive" is stupid. Anything can be addictive for any number of reasons. Cannabis is addictive because you're addicted to the high and the mental state that high puts you in. In some sense it's like "chasing the dragon" which is why people like to shoot up heroin.
Posted by madness 11 months ago
madness
Hey man. Are you still up for the debate?