EXOPrimal
smaetdebate

Refugees

smaetdebate has forfeited round #1.
Started: 12/15/2016 Category: News
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

EXOPrimal

Con

Debate Settings
10,000 Character arguments
72 Hour argument time
14 Day Voting
Opponent must have completed 1 debate, this is to avoid a new member accepting then freezing the debate, if you have not completed one debated and wish to accept this debate please message me or leave a comment

Complete Topic
Is it the European Union's responsibility to take in displaced refugees from the middle east?

Note: Contender is debating for the taking in of displaced refugees

Terms
Displaced Refugees
a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

Note: In this debate we will be focusing on refugees resulting from the instability of the middle east

Responsibility
having an obligation to do something, or having control over or care for someone, as part of one's job or role.

Rules
1. No forfeits
2. Any citations or foot/endnotes must be provided in the text of the debate
3. No new arguments in the final round
4. No trolling
5. No semantics
6. My opponent accepts all definitions and waives his/her right to add definitions
7. Violation of any of these rules or of any of the R1 set-up merits a loss.
8. No "K's" on the topic.
9. All citations should be links, and may not be hidden behind a login
10.For all undefined terms, individuals should use commonplace understandings that fit within the logical context of the resolution and this debate

Debate Format
R1: Pro Arguments
R2: Con Arguments, Pro Rebutalls
R3: Con Rebuttals, Pro Defence
R4: Con Defence and Further Rebuttals, Pro Defense, Further Rebuttals, and Conclusion
R5: Con Defense and Conclusion, Pro Waives

Note: First round is Pro argument not acceptance, if you accept please post your argument

I Thank My Opponent In Advance For Accepting This Debate And Wish Him The Best Of Luck
Posted by XDM 1 year ago
XDM
responsibility is subjective. I might believe that there is a moral responsibility, but that is based on my moral philosophy which is only subjectively preferable to me. It would be incredibly difficult or impossible even to objectively argue a subjective resolution. I would first have to argue why the voters ought to agree with my moral philosophy and then show how that moral philosophy places the responsibility on the UN. all of this would be more or less subjective. If you would change the wording of the resolution to a more practical phrase like "There is a net benefit to be had by allowing refugees rather than turning them away" then a debate could be more easily had.