OscarOrSomething
TryingToBeOpenMinded

Regardless of maturity, The opinion of kids ( up to about 16 ) isn't taken seriously by most adults

OscarOrSomething

OscarOrSomething

Pro

Over the next 3 rounds, I will show that the opinion of children up to around 16 is ignored by most adults.

My first argument is that adults do not take into account the maturity of children.
Yes, Some kids are immature and the majority of kids probably are.
But what about the others?
Kids who want to express their opinions should be able to have their opinions taken seriously.
Here are some examples of kids that are more mature than their age:-

I believe the above arguments prove that the opinions of kids are sometimes valuable and in the following arguments I will show how the opinions of kids are disprespected and give examples of times when the opinions of kids would have helped

P.S. This is my first debate, Please don't murder me.
P.P.S. Please do not let my age Influence your decision
TryingToBeOpenMinded

Con

Pro is mixing up two different questions.

The first question is whether or not adults ACTUALLY seriously consider kids' opinions. This is a question of fact. To answer this question, one needs to take a random sample pool of adults and calculate how many of them do or do not take adults seriously.

The second question is whether or not adults SHOULD seriously consider kids' opinions. With this question, we need to weigh the pros and cons of seriously listening to what kids have to say and determine the best course of action.

It's clear that Pro is trying to answer both these questions but due to the time constraints of this debate, let's assume the answer to the first question is true - kids' opinions aren't taken seriously. The debate shall center on whether kids SHOULD be taken seriously. As Con, I will posit that kids shouldn't be taken seriously.
OscarOrSomething

Pro

As per the request made by against, Here are a few reasons kids should be taken seriously

We are humans.

Like an adult, We are humans and do NOT appreciate being talked down to and ignored.
What kind of world is it when it is fine to discriminate against an entire age group?
Would you ignore your granny?

We care about the future of the world.

Whether or not adults generally care is a different question entirely but as kids don't need to worry about money,
we can see the truth: the ways you adults are harming the environment and can come up with ways to counter that.
Who will be alive in 60 Years time? Us.

TryingToBeOpenMinded

Con

CON'S ARGUMENTS

Unfortunately, kids haven't gone out in the world enough to know enough. Most haven't worked a day in their lives. They base their opinion on textbooks rather than actual experience. Here is a real life example. I've been building houses for 30 years. My kid came with me to work and told me that I'm doing it all wrong and he could do it better. Should I take him seriously?

COUNTER TO PRO'S ARGUMENTS

A. We are all human.

Pro claims we are all human so even kids should be taken seriously. Well, let me say that my 3 year old is human as well. Should I take him seriously?

B. We care about the future.

Kids are too caught up in playing, hanging out, drinking, and generally wasting time. They haven't worked a day in their lives. Here is an example. Visit a college kid's room. It's as if a bomb has blown up. Now visit a parent with a child. The house will be nice and clean. They won't disturb their neighbors. Who do you think cares about the future?
OscarOrSomething

Pro

COUNTER TO CON'S ARGUMENTS

We are forced to base our opinion on textbooks because adults don't let us experience.
As i say below, We are not allowed to work, We are not allowed to build houses, We are not allowed to even manage our own money most of the time.

COUNTER TO CON'S COUNTER TO PRO'S ARGUMENTS

A.
The title says 'Regardless of maturity ..... ', By this is meant that kids that ARE mature don't even get a chance to be taken seriously
I would appreciate it if you could bear this in mind in future arguments.

B.
"Kids are too caught up in playing, hanging out, drinking, and generally wasting time"

Once again, The Title, '...... ( Up to about 16 ) ......'. Where i live 16 year olds can't drink and normally don't go to college.

"They haven't worked a day in their lives."

We aren't allowed to work. I am in my first few years of high school and have done several unpaid 'Jobs' for coding projects. If I could work for pay, I would
TryingToBeOpenMinded

Con

IT'S IRRELEVANT WHETHER KIDS ARE GIVEN THE CHANCE TO LEARN. THE FACT IS KIDS AREN'T ACCOMPLISHED OR SKILLED ENOUGH TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. THAT'S LIFE.

In the last round, Pro's main argument is that kids aren't given chances to experience things. It's not their fault, they don't know anything and it shouldn't be held against them. Well, it's not about blame; it's about reality. There are no free rides in life. Kids need to plug away at entry level jobs and work hard until they become adept. They will be taken seriously later. That's just how the world works. Sorry.

ADULTS MUST BASE THEIR OPINIONS ON THE BEHAVIOR OF THE MAJORITY.

So...although most kids are irresponsible and there might be a few rare kids that are not, we should give them all the benefit of the doubt? For example, allow them to head projects rather someone with an extensive resume? I'm sorry but that's foolish. Since most kids don't have the requisite knowledge, we have to assume the same for all.
Posted by TryingToBeOpenMinded 2 years ago
TryingToBeOpenMinded
Wrichcirw,

Disagree with you. If you read Pro's comment in the first round, Pro implies that it's both actually and should. Pros initially says, "My first argument is that adults do not take into account the maturity of children." Then, Pro also says "Kids who want to express their opinions should be able to have their opinions taken seriously."

If the resolution was about actually however, it would make for a very boring debate. To answer actually, it's a matter of taking a sample pool and calculating the number who do and do not take kids seriously. Not very interesting. So, I suggested that we debate should instead...
Posted by wrichcirw 2 years ago
wrichcirw
"The first question is whether or not adults ACTUALLY seriously consider kids' opinions...let's assume the answer to the first question is true..."

Right here CON forfeits the debate. The resolution is indeed whether or not adults ACTUALLY consider kids' opinions seriously. There is no "should" in the resolution.
TryingToBeOpenMinded
Oscar,

I do believe that kids should be taken seriously. I'm just debating and it's a matter that's not really important to me.

You did ok but I thought I won this debate pretty handily. (I'm sorry if this sounds arrogant but this is how I feel.) I've realized that the better argument doesn't win in these things because no one cares enough to read the rounds. The one or two people who actually vote usually are biased from the start.

I've also noticed the arguments that do overcome bias simply consist of long posts and tons of pretty graphs and charts. What's surprising is that the evidence is usually irrelevant to the discussion. Regardless, evidentiary support such as graphs, charts and quotes should be a distant second to the actual argument.

To be honest, I don't vote that much either. It takes a lot of time to read an entire debate and it's usually not interesting enough. This website's debate system doesn't work.
Posted by OscarOrSomething 2 years ago
OscarOrSomething
"So...although most kids are irresponsible and there might be a few rare kids that are not, we should give them all the benefit of the doubt? For example, allow them to head projects rather someone with an extensive resume? I'm sorry but that's foolish. Since most kids don't have the requisite knowledge, we have to assume the same for all"

Is your time too precious that you can't just listen to your kid?
Maybe you misunderstood,
I'm not asking you to do what a mature kid (let's call him bob) says, I'm asking you to listen to 'Bob' and tell him the flaws in his plan (let's say to take over the world). Like you probably treat any adult.
Posted by OscarOrSomething 2 years ago
OscarOrSomething
@CrazyCowMan me?

None of your business but i will say that i am in my first 3 years of High School (Scottish, Not american)
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
funnycn
@Atheist Faulty logic: Just because he's a conservative, it doesn't mean he's stupid.
Posted by CrazyCowMan 2 years ago
CrazyCowMan
How old ARE you?
Posted by AtheistPerson 2 years ago
AtheistPerson
I totally agree. I'm smarter than my teacher with anything other than math. He's a conservative-p*ssy
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
OscarOrSomethingTryingToBeOpenMindedTied
Reasons for voting decision: although con makes a good case for kids not deserving mean-ness from the adults, he misses the true resolution and fails to show how the opinions of kids are actually taken seriously by adults.
Vote Placed by AtheistPerson 2 years ago
AtheistPerson
Reasons for voting decision: Chill with the caps man... no need to get angry.