teresaewright
angel07serna

Rehabilitation vs Prison for Addicts

angel07serna

teresaewright

Pro

Drug Court is more effective than prison. If an addict is clean in prison it's because he has to, kind of like being a dry drunk. The trick is to rehabilitate an addict in their own hometown. However, society needs to be ready to accept them back into society in order for them to become a productive member of society. There need to be laws put into place making it illegal for any company to discriminate against hiring felons.!!!
angel07serna

Con

Good day to you. I am forced to disagree with the point you are trying to prove.

A drug addict is defined as a person who is addicted to an illegal drug.
I live in a city bordering Mexico. I've seen first hand how drugs can destroy not only a person's life but also the people in his or hers immediate surroundings. Families have been torn apart. Marriages. Responsible every day Americans that had a life before they entered the horrible world of drug addiction.
Drug addicts do anything in their power including stealing, lying, and cheating just to get their hands on more illegal drugs. Many of the criminals locked up are in facts locked up for crimes related to drugs. I believe rehabilitation is not the answer for drug addicts because sooner or later they will go back to they wrong doings and all the money spent on rehabilitation programs will be in vain.
teresaewright

Pro

So, what should society do with addicts? Just throw them in prison and throw away the key?
Maybe we shoud put them on a dessert island? Just Kill'em off? Not allow them to work a decent job? Maybe they and their children will just starve if we let them work in minimum wage jobs?
They are people too! They have children and families and bills just like you and me.
What if it were your child? brother? mother?
angel07serna

Con

No sir we shouldn't. When I said prison, I had a specific plan in mind. We should have the three strikes of drug charges and you are out rule. You give the addict three chances. If they break the law 3 times chances are they are going to do them more times after that. We have to scare them with long and harsh prison terms. We have to scare people into not becoming an addict. We have to show them that there are consequence in your actions. We have to teach them to be responsible. I say 3 opportunities is enough. There will be a lot of people in jail at first but once people understand that no good comes from drugs the prison rate will decline once more.

I'm sorry but rehabilitation does not work. Most of the time. Many famous celebrities have crashed and burned because of drugs. Many of them went to rehab multiple times. They would detox, stay clean for a short while, and after they would go back to their natural life and routine they would continue doing drugs. Why? Because if a human wants to do something. They are going to do it. Especially if the addict is under a chemical dependence. I find it hard to change somebody's mind as well.
teresaewright

Pro

teresaewright forfeited this round.
angel07serna

Con

angel07serna forfeited this round.
Posted by teresaewright 3 years ago
teresaewright
You are not better than an addict just because you are not one. We are all God's children.
Posted by teresaewright 3 years ago
teresaewright
What if it were your child? brother? mother
Posted by teresaewright 3 years ago
teresaewright
Prison doesnt work. But once they are rehabilitated, they shouldn't be discriminated against. If an addict is doing right, we can't just exclude them from society just because we don't understand them.
Posted by Sitara 3 years ago
Sitara
I support the pro position re this argument. You can't just tell someone not to do something, you have to tell them why.
Posted by oldman1990 3 years ago
oldman1990
Being that I have filled out a lot of job applications and been on the hiring side of the job market. Most companies will look past a "felons" wrong doings if they are clean and have proper work ethic. In a previous job, my co-workers were 75% "felons." So, that part of your argument is slightly loose.

Also I agree with Wiploc's comment.
Posted by oldman1990 3 years ago
oldman1990

Also I agree with Wiploc's comment.
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Felons is a broad category, that includes more than those convicted of drug crimes.
Posted by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
Interesting material. Can you narrow/clarify/focus in on the resolution? What exactly is it that you expect to debate?

Perhaps: "If employers didn't discriminate against felons, then prison would be less effective (at rehabilitation) than parole."
Vote Placed by Weiler 3 years ago
Weiler
teresaewrightangel07sernaTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was wasted by neither side making the strong arguments available on their respective sides of the issue.