focuswall
Reeseroni

Relative Poverty

focuswall

Pro

Sometimes, I catch myself in sadness, thinking about issues in my life, ranging from friendships to school to not spending enough time with family. I then remind myself that my neighbor's mother is terminally ill, that one of my best friends has a propensity for mental breakdowns, and that people around me are generally in true predicaments. The third stage of my vicious cycle of mental gymnastics is becoming upset by the fact that I classify my own problems as insignificant compared to others'.

There are people in poverty, hunger, squalor. The longest I've gone without food was a day, for a religious fast that I could afford to pay for in nutrients and fats. I have seen video clips of projects to bring food to the hungry— to my disgust, some of those interviewed explained that they ate dirt or even excrement to stop hunger pains. While this example borders on beyond extreme compared to my own circumstances, the point remains clear: my problems are incalculably small compared to others'.

A question arises: Are my personal problems irrelevant because there are people in worse states than I?

And with the previous, question, again I ask: Do I have the right to feel unsatisfied with my life in an upper-middle-class suburb with one of the best schools in the USA? Am I allowed to feel depressed without having to remind myself of the misfortunes of others?

My personal belief is that I can complain about life without my every negative thought being earmarked as selfish, irrelevant, absurd.

Thank you, and I hope you side with the Pro side.
Reeseroni

Con

That is a very emotionally deep topic, but I am not sure how It is relevant to having criticism, and being a proper debate.
focuswall

Pro

Thanks for your input. Good call, I guess it's not a topic for fair debate.
Reeseroni

Con

Its a good point! I will give you that. Honestly though, it would do better under opinions where people may be able to give their opinion on it? Just a friendly suggestion!
focuswall

Pro

Thanks Reeseroni!! :)
Reeseroni

Con

No problemo comrade :D
focuswall

Pro

focuswall forfeited this round.
Reeseroni

Con

*Vote for me guys :p*
focuswall

Pro

focuswall forfeited this round.
Reeseroni

Con

Psst Vote Con!
Posted by ElCorazonAma 2 years ago
ElCorazonAma
This is really deep.
Posted by moneystacker 2 years ago
moneystacker
yep the saying "words hurt more then punches" can be applied to this. If your mother dies you feel mental pain equal to that of someone who is homeless or starving. If you are frustrated from school everyday and your parents treat you bad and don't love you your life is just as suckish as a poor kid just mentally instead of physically.