Relaxing Immigration Laws

The debate will go in the following order:

Round One: Intro
Round Two: Main Round / Case
Round Three: Cross Examination
Round Four: Conclusion

This is my first debate, and I took this introduction from another. Please forgive me; I am familiarizing myself with the site.

Thank you for your opportunity of letting me debate against you. I will try to convince the audience that immigration laws should not be relaxed but instead tightened.

Illegal aliens should not have access to the same luxuries and benefits that regular hard working citizens strive to achieve.

I will follow your proposed outline to the fullest of my abilities but it will not be extremely important to me. Instead, I will focus on the facts as to why immigration laws should be constricted.

I await the pleasure of debating with you!

BillCurly335 forfeited this round.

For some odd reason, my opponent forfeited this round so I will go in with my case.

"In August, 2006, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) placed the “unauthorized” immigrant population at 10.5 million as of January 2005 and indicates that if recent trends continued, the figure for January 2006 would be 11 million." (1)

In 2005 there were a whopping 288.4 million residing in the United States (2). According to numbers, 4% of the people living in the United States were illegal aliens. 22 % were from Latin America and 13% were from Asia (1).

Without further due, I will begin my case.

Freedoms of Illegal Aliens

"In Yick Wo v. Hopkins, a case involving the rights of Chinese immigrants, the Court ruled that the 14th Amendment's statement, "Nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws," applied to all persons "without regard to any differences of race, of color, or of nationality," and to "an alien, who has entered the country, and has become subject in all respects to its jurisdiction, and a part of its population, although alleged to be illegally here." (Kaoru Yamataya v. Fisher, 189 U.S. 86 (1903) )"(3)

In this case, it stated that illegal aliens will be given the same rights as the hard-working American people. The illegal aliens who smuggled themselves into the country, will be treated the same as the American who had to work for the citizenship. I ask if this is right. People who smuggled themselves into the country should not be given the same freedoms as those who had to earn it. In fact, they should be treated as the "aliens" they are.

Border control should be tightened. New technologies should be implemented in order to reduce the amount of illegal aliens entering the United States. Illegal aliens that are found in the United States should be:
a) Prosecuted to fullest extent and thrown in jail
b) Deported back to their home country
I understand that authorities are trying to do that now, but it should be done with an iron first. Mercy and rights should not be shown to those who don't deserve them.
In no way should an illegal alien have the same rights as those hard-working citizens around him. They mooch off the economy and take the jobs of American citizens which leads me to my next point.

Economical Impacts of Illegal Aliens

In 2010, the Pew Hispanic center estimated that 5% or 7.2 million workers are illegal aliens in the United States.(4) Even though the majority of the jobs illegal aliens perform are under-paid, they are still taking up American jobs. The total US labor force as of 2010 is approximately 160 million (4). The unemployment rate is about 9.2%.

160x.092= 14.72
Therefore 14.72 million people are unemployed.

However, if we removed the illegal aliens:
14.72-7.2= 7.52
Only 7.52 million American citizens would be unemployed. Dropping the unemployment rate by approximately half.

Illegal aliens are harmful to the general population of the United States. Not only do they get the same rights as the hard working people, but they also greatly impact the economy in a harmful way. I propose that the immigration laws be greatly tightened and those captured in the United States be deported. Thank you for reading my argument.

BillCurly335 forfeited this round.

Argument extended

Vote Con

BillCurly335 forfeited this round.

Argument extended.

Vote Con
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
Lord Knuckle, I will debate you on this topic if you are interested and you can be guaranteed a full debate. PM me if you are interested.
Posted by Lordknukle 5 years ago
Just to clarify, we will be arguing on the topic of illegal immigration and illegal aliens residing in the United States.

Next time you post a debate, try to immediately pick a sub-topic.
Posted by randolph7 5 years ago
Yeah I'd add what country that you're discussing and mention which immigration laws and possibly what you mean by relaxing. For instance, there's H1-B Visa laws, illegal entry laws, etc. I have an idea where you're going with this but it will help both sides to know exactly what's being debated up front.
Posted by marcuscato 5 years ago
is this country specific?
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: What a waste of time for Con!