LeonMcG
TheRussian

Religion : A good impact on humans(Yes) or detrimental to our progression as individuals(No)?

TheRussian

LeonMcG

Pro

Religion is a strange thing. While many people view it as a way of life it is in fact nothing more than a collection of beliefs. Deities are there to either suck away possessions for cult leaders or to make us religious slaves as the Egyptians became, god fearing and god reliant. However religion has taught us a variety of lessons and furthered our lives in various ways. The bible taught us to love one another, in fact the 10 commandments are actually excellent rules to live by. Buddhism tells not to crave but to be content. Greek philosophers such as Socrates and Plato did a thing most admirable. They embraced Buddhism. In my opinion Buddha may have developed his opinions from their lack of materialistic desire and healthy craving for knowledge.
TheRussian

Con

"The bible taught us to love one another"
I did not learn that from the Bible. I love people because of what they have done/sacrificed for me. For example, my parents. I did not need to read the Bible to love them. People who are Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Atheist or of any non-Christian belief did not need the Bible to love. Nor did they need any other religious text.

"in fact the 10 commandments are actually excellent rules to live by."
The first commandment states that you must not have any other gods. I do not see how that is a problem. Some of the greatest nations/empires to ever exist were polytheistic. (Greeks, Romans, and Persians, for example).

"Buddhism tells not to crave but to be content."
Although it may be considered wise, humans must crave. If humans did not crave, they would have no reason to make progress or to try to be better at something. Human development would come to a halt. This is like comparing a capitalist country to a communist country. The capitalists are always competing and striving to do better than their business opponent. In communism, people have no reason to try to do better because they're still gonna be paid the same.

Many religions limit a person's mind. For example, many of today's "world religions" believe that the world is less than
10, 000 years old. This already limits a person's perspective and basically keeps them out of a large part of the science field.
The church is notorious for limiting progress. The church made people believe that the Earth is flat and anyone who said otherwise was killed.

Religion has been the cause of very many wars and creates ever-present social tensions. This further hinders human development. This is a generalization, but religion numbs the mind. If humans did not have religion, scientific progress could be decades if not centuries ahead of what it is now.
LeonMcG

Pro

You my friend are being narrow minded. I myself am not religious but there are plenty of benefits from the ten commandments treating all with respect, not raping or pillaging or stealing. They are merely guidelines to life but very useful ones. You have said that one commandment worship one god alone is a ridiculous thing and there is no problem with other gods. You do not think clearly that is one of 10 and that is arguably the least important. Buddhism tells us not to crave but to be content. Yes, It is true, To crave means in this context to want just for the sake of wanting that does not stop the progress of the human race in fact it would make it a better world.

Religion is a comfort, a natural mechanism of humans to believe there is someone or something more powerful than themselves in order to give them purpose consolidation and a thing or person to blame. It is also a reason for them to live well without crimes. In a world without religion the crime rate would be much higher, people would war over land much as they do today.
TheRussian

Con

"You my friend are being narrow minded. I myself am not religious but there are plenty of benefits from the ten commandments treating all with respect, not raping or pillaging or stealing."
No, religion is what narrows people's minds. I am not religious either but believe in a supreme being. I definitely see the benefits of having religion, but I think the harm outweighs the benefit. I agree, the ten commandments are a good guideline, but I did not know the ten commandments (until I searched it up for this argument) yet I do no rape, pillage or steal. The ten commandments are unnecessary for a human to be a good, moral person.

I believe that religion may be helpful, but is unnecessary. In reality, all religion does is help control masses by providing society with a "perfect role model". People would not be different without religion. If a person does not feel bad for killing someone, the Bible will not change them. If a person thinks that rape is fine, preaching will not change him. Religion has caused endless wars and social tensions which spike every single day.
LeonMcG

Pro

LeonMcG forfeited this round.
TheRussian

Con

Religion, although it may help certain individuals, is not necessary. It binds a person to a certain code of laws and keeps them from exploring some of the most interesting parts of our world.

It has been an endless cause of violence and social tensions through out history.

It almost literally enslaves people. The Bible refers to people as "slaves of God" and in ancient Egypt, people were quite literally slaves of the pharaoh who was revered as a god.

It is a bank. I don't mean to offend anyone, but look at the bare facts. The church does not have to pay taxes, but is always asking for money and donations. So much money is put into religion that it can be considered one of mankind's most successful businesses.

A human can be a good, moral, and kind without religion.
Posted by LeonMcG 3 years ago
LeonMcG
TheRussian we are debating how religion has hindered human development as well as humans in general both socially and scientifically. More socially though
Posted by TheRussian 3 years ago
TheRussian
Are we debating that religion hindered human development? scientifically? socially?
Vote Placed by Raymond_Reddington 3 years ago
Raymond_Reddington
LeonMcGTheRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited.
Vote Placed by Charliecdubs 3 years ago
Charliecdubs
LeonMcGTheRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Religion definitely id detrimental to our world