Hellsdesire55
Hurstman

Religion Dose more harm then good

Hurstman

Hellsdesire55

Pro

(1)"A pig caused hundreds of Indians to kill one another in 1980. The animal walked through a Muslim holy ground at Moradabad, near New Delhi. Muslims, who think pigs are an embodiment of Satan, blamed Hindus for the defilement. They went on a murder rampage, stabbing and clubbing Hindus, who retaliated in kind. The pig riot spread to a dozen cities and left more than 200 dead.

This swinish episode tells a universal tale. It typifies religious behavior that has been recurring for centuries.

Ronald Reagan often called religion the world's mightiest force for good, "the bedrock of moral order." George Bush said it gives people "the character they need to get through life." This view is held by millions. But the truism isn't true. The record of human experience shows that where religion is strong, it causes cruelty. Intense beliefs produce intense hostility. Only when faith loses its force can a society hope to become humane."
http://www.infidels.org...
Hurstman

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate. I hope it proves interesting!

Benjamin Franklin stated that "Religion will be a powerful regulator of our actions, give us peace and tranquility within our minds, and render us benevolent, useful and beneficial to others". It is because I agree with this quote that I negate the topic "Religion Dose more harm then good". (For all reading this, my opponent misspelled "Does". The proper topic is "Religion does more harm then good"). For a roadmap, I will go AC-NC.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A pig caused hundreds of Indians to kill one another in 1980. The animal walked through a Muslim holy ground at Moradabad, near New Delhi. Muslims, who think pigs are an embodiment of Satan, blamed Hindus for the defilement. They went on a murder rampage, stabbing and clubbing Hindus, who retaliated in kind. The pig riot spread to a dozen cities and left more than 200 dead."

When I see this, I think of car accidents. One could just as easily claim that cars do more harm than good because thay have killed people in car accidents. The problem with that statement and my opponent's case is that the benefits are excluded. That will be what I do in my case. Both side's will be presented and the benefits of each, weighed. So far my opponent only provides harms to mine. You should disregard this argument because this scenario is improbable.

"This swinish episode tells a universal tale. It typifies religious behavior that has been recurring for centuries."

Actually, this swinish tale tells an improbable, hypothetical scenario. You only provide one instance, so it isn't recurring for centuries.

"Ronald Reagan often called religion the world's mightiest force for good, "the bedrock of moral order." George Bush said it gives people "the character they need to get through life." This view is held by millions. But the truism isn't true. The record of human experience shows that where religion is strong, it causes cruelty. Intense beliefs produce intense hostility. Only when faith loses its force can a society hope to become humane."

I agree with Reagan and Bush, so extend that. Religion is the mightiest force for good, and a bedrock of moral order. I would also like to point out, if the view is held by millions of people, that gives it more reason to be true. We can debate this all we want, but it's your opinion vs those of millions. Also, you say the only way society can BECOME humane is to lessen the force of religion. But there are society that are already humane who have religion in them. You point out that where religion is strong, it causes cruelty. This doesn't only lack evidence, it's kind of lame. Where religion is strong, there COULD be varying opinions, but not always cruelty. Also, to the voters, note that he might prove some of these arguments with scenario's, but note that his past scenario was improbable. Let's not go off "what if's" or "This happened once".

So I thank my opponent for presenting these harms, but here are the left out benefits.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C1) Religion is good for SOCIETY

"The collective and cooperative peaceful existence of large numbers of people was made possible in the first instance by organized religion. What is more, this large, organized and peaceful existence of a large number of people was what made agriculture, aqueducts, education, literacy and exploration all possible" [1]
"It goes without saying that historically-speaking, religion has been a massive force for good in human civilization."

C2) Religion is good for the INDIVIDUAL. [2]

A) The strength of the family unit is intertwined with the practice of religion. Churchgoers are more likely to be married, less likely to be divorced or single, and more likely to manifest high levels of satisfaction in marriage.

B) Church attendance is the most important predictor of marital stability and happiness.

C) The regular practice of religion helps poor persons move out of poverty. Regular church attendance, for example, is particularly instrumental in helping young people to escape the poverty of inner-city life.

D) Religious belief and practice contribute substantially to the formation of personal moral criteria and sound moral judgment.

E) Regular religious practice generally inoculates individuals against a host of social problems, including suicide, drug abuse, out-of-wedlock births, crime, and divorce.

F) The regular practice of religion also encourages such beneficial effects on mental health as less depression (a modern epidemic), more self-esteem, and greater family and marital happiness.

G) In repairing damage caused by alcoholism, drug addiction, and marital breakdown, religious belief and practice are a major source of strength and recovery.

H) Regular practice of religion is good for personal physical health: It increases longevity, improves one's chances of recovery from illness, and lessens the incidence of many killer diseases.

In conclusion, the benefits of religion AND society far outweigh any improbable harms of society. Thank you for this debate, I look forward to your response.

[1] http://paulitics.wordpress.com...
[2] http://www.heritage.org...
Hellsdesire55

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and I to hope it proves interesting. I also would like the people reading this debate to refer and read (1)
...............................................................................

Now I realize that I posted only one (bad) occurrence of religion, but this is only one. What about all the inquisitions that religion has powered such as the Spanish Inquisition
. (The Inquisition worked in large part to ensure the orthodoxy of recent converts, especially those Jews, Muslims and others coerced on pain of death to adopt the Christian religion). I understand that religion can do some good, but where there is good there is bad and when the bad is powered by religion it can be one of the worse things. In a poll in the UK 82% say faith causes tension in country. Religion also causes division in human society and just gives people more of a reason to dislike or even hate one another, and as we know hate can drive anyone to do anything.

As people know the 2012 end of the world theory is coming close, and this may cause panic not now but as it gets closer, and simply because of the power of a belief or a religion. "if the view is held by millions of people, that gives it more reason to be true" which is exactly why religion is dangerous and dose more harm then good, let's say that people start saying that white men are bad people and millions of people believe this, this makes it true and right? So then we must go and destroy white men.

(1)http://www.infidels.org...
Hurstman

Con

Thanks for the response!
------------------------
I would like to note, that while it doesn't violate rules by bringing up new arguments, it's abusive to the Con for 1) I now have double the work to attack and 2) Who's to stop you from bringing it up in the last round, making my burden impossible? Not only does Pro bring up new arguments, he drops the original one. Maybe he doesn't like it? Maybe it's impossible to defend? Nevertheless, I will go on to attack his new arguments, but I ask that no new arguments be brought up and that you Vote Con for conduct.
-------------------------
Inquisitions
-------------------------
My opponent brings up the inquisition, but does not provide sources or evidence. All I get from this is speculated false knowledge. This wasn't brought up in the first round, so just disregard due to the abusiveness of bringing up new evidence past the first round.
-------------------------
Division
-------------------------
My opponent states: "In a poll in the UK 82% say faith causes tension in country. Religion also causes division in human society and just gives people more of a reason to dislike or even hate one another, and as we know hate can drive anyone to do anything." I'd like my opponent to source this poll, because without a source it isn't credible, just what my opponent says. Also, religion brings people together, not separate them. I guess my opponent did not read my C1.
"The collective and cooperative peaceful existence of large numbers of people was made possible in the first instance by organized religion. What is more, this large, organized and peaceful existence of a large number of people was what made agriculture, aqueducts, education, literacy and exploration all possible" [1]"
-------------------------
2012
-------------------------
As Pro, my opponent has the burden of proof to prove that this theory is true or that it will cause world distress. Until then, let's disregard. =).
-------------------------
My Case
-------------------------
DROPPED. He doesn't note any of my arguments, so we must extend them. So we can conclude that religion is not only good for societal health, but for personal health as well. Even if my opponent somehow miraculously proves his points, or properly extends them, you can see that the benefits of religion outweigh the harms. Thank you, vote Con.
Hellsdesire55

Pro

Hellsdesire55 forfeited this round.
Hurstman

Con

This is unfortunate....Extend all my arguments. Since he forfeits this round, and fails to extend or refute in earlier rounds, your only option is to vote Con. Thanks for reading.
Posted by Hurstman 7 years ago
Hurstman
whether or not true, vote on who did the better debating
Posted by gamemaster 7 years ago
gamemaster
Religion never did any good whatsoever. It usurps this position in an illegitimate way. Good people do good things, bad people do bad things. Religion only corrupts some of the good people to do bad things. It is a cancer on the society.
Posted by belle 7 years ago
belle
appeal to popularity= fail.

jus sayin...
Posted by Hurstman 7 years ago
Hurstman
You dropped all my points...
Posted by three5thsman 7 years ago
three5thsman
You're right religion does more harm than good. That's because people don't have a real connection with God. So if you don't know God you can be of any religion and not act Godly. Any one can be religious, heck mafia men go to church. Religion is pointless without a real connection.
Posted by Hurstman 7 years ago
Hurstman
Haha, yeah I pointed that out. Who's winning? From an unbiased view
Posted by RaeTulo 7 years ago
RaeTulo
Just saying, Religion doesn't "dose" anything.
xD
Posted by JusticeForZakhaev 7 years ago
JusticeForZakhaev
Evidently lack of education does more harm than good.
Posted by Hurstman 7 years ago
Hurstman
I'll accept this if you change voting period to 1 or 2 weeks. not indefinitely
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Misspelling is resolution means this will be raeped.
Vote Placed by Brandonmaciel333 7 years ago
Brandonmaciel333
Hellsdesire55HurstmanTied
Vote Placed by RaeTulo 7 years ago
RaeTulo
Hellsdesire55HurstmanTied
Vote Placed by Hizashi 7 years ago
Hizashi
Hellsdesire55HurstmanTied
Vote Placed by InsertNameHere 7 years ago
InsertNameHere
Hellsdesire55HurstmanTied
Vote Placed by Hellsdesire55 7 years ago
Hellsdesire55
Hellsdesire55HurstmanTied
Vote Placed by Hurstman 7 years ago
Hurstman
Hellsdesire55HurstmanTied