younglaw
Shqiptar

Religion(Pro) vs Science(con)

Shqiptar

younglaw

Pro

This should be a simple debate and anyone can accept it. First round is acceptance along with your first argument.

I would like to say good luck to my opponent before starting!

Science is progressing rapidly and is giving us answers to things that we cannot understand but the only thing science does not provide is faith and hope, 2 factors that I believe are necessary in life. Religion states that there is a creator named god who loves us all and this lord will give us what we deserve and this idea brings a lot of hope for people that may be suffering from anything that is bad like cancer, any disease, a really bad phase. Science tells us how something is happening, what is happening and sometimes when its happening but religion tells us why it is happening. Religion is the reason why there are more hard-working good people than criminals on Earth. All of us are currently experiencing a tough journey that we all call life, this life is very weird because it is very much alike to a crooked bridge.....it consists of low moments but also high moments and is filled with big or short turning points. And I think that in order to be successful in this life we don't need fame or wealth but just faith, hope and goodness because each and every one of us can live on these three crucial things, if we have faith we have beliefs, if we have hope we will keep trying and if we have goodness in us then just let your mind imagine how wonderful this world would be. Religion answers key questions Science cannot, it may be just a theory today but all I know is that religion teaches us to be good humans and so religion itself can never be bad. The truth always prevails.
Shqiptar

Con

I guess this is a bit complicated, considering that I am also religious. I believe that religion and science is a partnership (if this isn't what you wanted, I truly apologise).

As a Muslim, what I am taught is related to science, such as:
  • To avoid sleeping on your stomach. "Ya’eesh ibn Tihfah al-Ghifaari reported that his father said: “I stayed as a guest with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with those of the poor whom he hosted. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out in the night to check up on his guests, and saw me lying on my stomach. He prodded me with his foot and said, ‘Do not lie in this manner, for it is a way of lying that Allaah hates.’” (See: http://islamqa.info...) The reason this is related to science is because sleeping on your stomach can cause you to tilt your face to one direction or the other, putting strain on your neck, even if you lie face down, this can cause back problems, as the curve of the spine is not supported. Bilal Philips, a Muslim teacher, explained in one of his teachings, that a baby sleeping on its stomach leads to Sudden Death Syndrome, as it puts the baby in cardiac risk since its squashed up against a surface. When scientists discovered this fact, infant mortalities decreased by 68%.
  • The Quran also refers to the Big Bang theory, how the universe is expanding: “And the heaven We created with might, and indeed We are (its) expander.” (Quran 51:47) See: http://www.islamreligion.com...
younglaw

Pro

I also believe that science and religion are a partnership but all I want to prove is that religion is very very ancient and has been running longer than science thus I will be proving that religion is reality. I am about to pull out a serious fact which some may understand, I have researched about this many times to verify it is true, here goes:

Nasa has recently conducted an experiment on Hindu chants and prayers and one they have found is astonishing is the prayer to the monkey god Hanuman, it is known as the Hanuman chalisa and they have found something really peculiar.
There is a line in this prayer, it is as follows: "Yug sahastra yojan per Bhanu! Leelyo tahi madhur phal janu!" . Now lets look at the science side of this:

1 Yug = 12000 years
1 Sahastra = 1000
1 Yojan = 8 Miles

Yug x Sahastra x Yojan = par Bhanu
12000 x 1000 x 8 miles = 96,000,000 miles

Nasa has confirmed that the distance between earth and sun is exactly 96,000,000 miles. There is a common story which sais that Hanuman jumped to the sun (bhanu) thinking it was a sweet fruit (madhur phal) as a child. Therefore it shows that it probably did happen because the Hanuman Chalisa was written thousands of years ago.

I will now show you another fact like this....Nasa has also done an experiment on another Hindu chant known as the gayatri mantra. It is said that when you recite this mantra you give off a good vibe and things go well for you, well, Nasa has also discovered that when a person recites this mantra that person gives off an awful lot of positive thermal/infra-red rays and because of this the gayatri mantra is played on the radio in a south-American country every morning.

I hope you understand this factual evidence!
Shqiptar

Con

I disagree that religion has been running longer than science.

Religion: a particular system of faith and worship.

Science, like God, is everpresent and existed before humans started religions. While it's true that religion is ancient, it doesn't necessarily prove that religion is true. To even say religion is true is actually weird because there are different beliefs in each religion, causing debate amongst religious believers. So everyone's conclusion is that there is either only one true religion, or that no religions are true. I don't see how all religions can be true- for instance: Abrahamic religions believe that there is only one God and other religions, such as Hinduism, believe in lesser Gods; it is impossible for both of them to exist, either one of them or none of them are correct.

I also have to say that the line in the Hanuman Chalisa, is more of an approximation, as the distance of the sun to earth is 92,955,807 miles (Source: http://www.space.com...).

Even though it's close, that itself won't prove that the Hanuman Chalisa is correct, no matter how long ago it was written as many will argue that it is just a lucky hunch.

As for the gayatri mantra, I don't know why NASA would study that since its a space agency. Then agaim, I don't know that much about NASA anyway, I would like a link showing where you got this information. That is interesting, but doesn't prove that religion existed before science and that religion, or atleast Hinduism is true.

Posted by roland54 2 years ago
roland54
Religion can be seen to give explanations, but such explanations are also given by the laws of nature. Action/reaction can be seen as behind consequence, leaving the two alternatives of a believing or unbelieving interpretation
Posted by younglaw 2 years ago
younglaw
do realise the earth's orbit gets closer and closer to the sun every 1-2 years and the prayer was written a very long time so back then it was 96000000 miles away
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
Do remember younglaw that the earths revolution is not a perfect circle, it cannot always be the same number of miles. The number I gave was the average distance. Its called astronomical unit look it up
Posted by younglaw 2 years ago
younglaw
unlucky theunknown u need to get your facts right...go to the Nasa website
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
nice try young law but it is 92 955 807.3 miles
and it keeps fluctuating, Earths revolution is not a perfect circle.
Btw your religion kept India in the dark ages due it's stupid Caste system.
Gods are nothing but authoritarian, power hungry, immoral, barbarians. And this is coming from a former Hindu.
Ram started a war to save one girl.
Posted by Truth_seeker 2 years ago
Truth_seeker
I'm watching this
Vote Placed by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
younglawShqiptarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had no sources. Con also successfully refuted Pro's claims.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
younglawShqiptarTied
Reasons for voting decision: source
Vote Placed by Truth_seeker 2 years ago
Truth_seeker
younglawShqiptarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pros arguments were confusing and con provided more sound reasoning explaining how science has advanced our world.
Vote Placed by JasperFrancisShickadance 2 years ago
JasperFrancisShickadance
younglawShqiptarTied
Reasons for voting decision: First of all, Con provided sources and Pro did not, although they both provided an equal amount of research and evidence. It was a bit confusing though, in terms of who was arguing for what as they both seemed to agree how science and religion work together. I have to give conduct to Pro because Con got a bit off track once in awhile and I think Pro proved his point better.