Religion can cause more harm than it does good

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

it can be

I accept Pros challenge on the debate regarding "Religion can cause more harm than it does good."

First and foremost, the opponent was unclear in his argument of "harm" and "good". Before moving on I will need to clarify what the opposing side is implying by "harm" and "good."

Here we can define HARM according to a "physical injury which is deliberately inflicted."

GOOD can be defined as a moral characteristic and a Google search of the definition of "Good" concludes that good is to be desired or approved of.

With that said the question now is, Does religion help to aid in inflicting pain (physical/emotional) predominantly than producing the element of good morals and or desires.

Now lets define religion; religion is a system of "faith and worship" ( I am assuming that the opponent already knows or at least has an idea of the morals behind religion. Let me start this argument by emphasizing the fact that it would be nonsensical to point fingers to religion as the culprit for the wrong doing of others. If someone took a gun and shot and killed me, blaming the gun would be illogical because the gun killed me; however, there was a mastermind behind the result of the gun shooting at me. We can apply the same analogy here. Religion was created for practicing good morals, submitting to God, to be humble, to obey, to respect. All of these are desirable or "good" characteristics. It is the extremists who pollute the true beauty of religion. An extremist is one who resorts to certain action influenced by a fanatical political or religious view. Let me reiterate that religion exercises good moral and the quality of be humble and respectful and honor and dignity. Another way of expressing fanaticism would be a "radical" or a "bigot" and these qualities contradict the whole moral values that religion instill in us. A certain person's actions should not hold religion accountable, that is because no human is perfect, there will always be good and evil; right and wrong. We should not judge religion based off of a person, but rather by the book.

This is a debate where I am allowed to make a type of plan. Sadly since I have the BOP, Pro cannot make my argument for me before I post my actual arguments. For the purpose of this debate harm shall be defined as

Harm - physical or mental damage

can - be able to, possibility of

When broken down the resolution is that religion has the chance or possibility of causing more harm than good. Meaning if I am able to show a circumstance where religion has caused more harm than good, I affirm the resolution.

The crusades, the holocaust, the irish wars, jihad, are all examples of how religion has had a negative impact on society and culture. This is not an on balance debate, and even if it were I could build a case for it. I just have to show that religion has the possibility to cause harm which it does. All of these past examples affirm that

R1) morals

My adversary said that religion strives towards morals, that is false. If you take Muslims or example, and jihads they entire purpose is to fight against the infidel.

Verses in the quran

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98

On unbelievers is the curse of Allah. - Sura 2:161

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme. (different translation: ) Fight them until there is no persecution and the religion is God's entirely. - Sura 2:193 and 8:39

Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. - 2:216
(different translation: ) Prescribed for you is fighting, though it is hateful to you.

..... martyrs.... Enter heaven - Surah 3:140-43

If you should die or be killed in the cause of Allah, His mercy and forgiveness would surely be better than all they riches they amass. If you should die or be killed, before Him you shall all be gathered. - 3:157-8

You must not think that those who were slain in the cause of Allah are dead. They are alive, and well-provided for by their Lord. - Surah 3:169-71

Let those fight in the cause of God who sell the life of this world for the hereafter. To him who fights in the cause of God, whether he is slain or victorious, soon we shall give him a great reward. - Surah 4:74

Those who believe fight in the cause of God, and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil. - 4:76

But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever you find them. - 4:89

Therefore, we stirred among them enmity and hatred, which shall endure till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will declare to them all that they have done. - 5:14

O believers, take not Jews and Christians as friends; they are friends of each other. Those of you who make them his friends is one of them. God does not guide an unjust people. - 5:54

Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme - 8:39

O Prophet! Exhort the believers to fight. If there are 20 steadfast men among you, they shall vanquish 200; and if there are a hundred, they shall rout a thousand unbelievers, for they are devoid of understanding. - 8:65

It is not for any Prophet to have captives until he has made slaughter in the land. - 8:67

Allah will humble the unbelievers. Allah and His apostle are free from obligations to idol-worshipers. Proclaim a woeful punishment to the unbelievers. - 9:2-3

When the sacred months are over, slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. - 9:5

The quran by itself affirms the resolution which is religion has the possibility to cause more harm than good.

Please excuse me for my obnoxious introduction for I am new to this site, and hopefully In the coming months I will be able to become accustom to publishing a debate on here in the correct manner. Again, I would like to take the time to thank Con for accepting my challenege.

Let me clarify moral.

Moral - a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.

Islam is the arabic word for submit, Muslim is the one who submits, and the most common greeting in Arabic for peace is "salaam".

The Qur'an stresses that religion is not compulsive. In any religion, non-believers deserve the respect of those who are.

The following verses that are also found in the Qur'an :

5:8 "O YOU who have attained to faith! Be ever steadfast in your devotion to God, bearing witness to the truth in all equity; and never let hatred of any-one lead you into the sin of deviating from justice. Be just: this is closest to being God-conscious. And remain conscious of God: verily, God is aware of all that you do."

2:256 Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things.

Religion itsself does not need to indicate the existence of right and wrong, for if there was no religion, an Atheist for example would agree that there is a borderline between whats good and bad.

Religion, for as long as we know, has produced a lot of good in the lives of mankind.

The process of teaching Goodwill -

"We must be bright and cheerful. Long faces do not make religion. Religion should be the most joyful thing in the world, because it is the best." " Swami Vivekananda

"We must treat others as we wish others to treat us"
- Two passages from Gospels quote Jesus Christ in espousing the Golden Rule.

"Do to others what you want them to do to you. This is the meaning of the law of Moses and the teaching of the prophets."
" Matthew 7:12

Inspired by studying religion, is the urge to become more knowledgeable. Because some can not just settle on a materialistic perception of life, the motive for attaining knowledge has inevitably led to the development of civilization. Music, another known aspect of religion has led to the creation of "illahi" and spiritual music consisting of sublime that soothes and comforts the soul.

With all that said, religion can do more good than bad.

the debate is over from this point

note my adversaries concluding statement

" With all that said, religion can do more good than bad. "

He notes religion can do bad (harm), thus affirming the resolution.

In the last argument the instigator asserted: "He [Con] notes religion can do bad (harm), thus affirming the resolution." Please realize that the initial argument was not "Religion does not cause harm", but "Religion can do more harm than good." Thus, he has misinterpreted his own argument, for my argument was "Religion can do MORE good than harm."
Posted by ChandanB 1 year ago
can cause?? it is more harm than didnt do anything good for us
Posted by Betrayed 1 year ago
My first debate on here...I'd debate ya but I already did this...also your wording is too broad. It can, does not mean will as someone pointed out.
Posted by That1User 1 year ago
Per Pelli. A better resolution would be "On balance, religion causes more harm than good." That way you have a debatable topic.
Posted by Peili 1 year ago
I doubt that you will find many skilled debaters to oppose this resolution. Obviously it is possible for a religion to exist which causes more harm than good. That does not mean that any of the major world religions have actually done more harm than good.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
"Can," isn't the same as does.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 1 year ago
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Although PRO's final response was weak, CON's response to PRO's well researched contention really didnt blow me over. PRO cited instances of religious persecution being supported by religious texts. CON noted how religion, in many cases, can cause *good*. For example, I would argue Christianity overall teaches *good*. But pro was able to demonstrate that, at least for Islam, that there is a lot of hatred in its books. Although the Koran, as CON argues, has some merciful verses, the fact that the Koran has multiple verses about killing and punishing 'infidels' outweighs most of CON's arguments. CON cites 2 verses... PRO cites 20 +/- 3. A basic count shows that, at least for Islam, that religion, on balance, causes more harm than good. Resolution is affirmed--barely. And CON should have focused solely on the Koran, as Christianity is irrelevant. PRO only has to prove that one religion is evil, and he proved that. CON would have won if he did that