chrisjohnson
thedude346

Religion caused most wars

chrisjohnson

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance and Rules Round 2: Opening Statements, No Rebuttals Round 3: New Arguments and Rebuttals Round 4: Rebuttals and Closing Statements (No new arguments)
thedude346

Con

I accept debate, arguing against the proposal, "Religion caused most wars."

I propose no rules, beside the logical: no ad hominem, straw man, so forth and follow the debate structure you set out.

I will adhere to the Oxford English Dictionary's definition of war in this debate, namely: "Hostile contention by means of armed forces, carried on between nations, states, or rulers, or between parties in the same nation or state; the employment of armed forces against a foreign power, or against an opposing party in the state" [1].

Good luck.
chrisjohnson

Pro

chrisjohnson forfeited this round.
thedude346

Con

chrisjohnson has forfeited the second round, for opening statements. I am unsure of what to do, exactly, so I will simply give my opening statement. My opponent can then specifiy how to modify the format accordingly. If they wish to scratch this second round altogether, and only begin debate in the third round, I will consent to that, and request that the below be ignored. I encourage chrisjohnson not to continue the debate if they do not have time to do so; I will not be upset, Ihave found myself i that situation many times, and am currently struggling with exams as well. Without further ado, here are my arguments:

I propose hat the statement "Religion caused most wars" is simply not true because it is incorrect. It does not hold up to the scrutiny of history, and is factually incorrect.

I indicate a study by the Department of Peace Studes of the University of Bradford, "God and War: An Audit & an Exploration (2003)." They examined 73 major wars, 32 of which were from the 20th century. The results indicated that only 7 of all he wars examiend (10%), had clear religious motivation. Most had no religious motivation, or religion as a secondary factor, with causes such as nationalism taking precedence. Totalitarian regimes such as those of Pol Pot, Stalin, and Mao have been primarily atheistic, and caused tens to hundreds of millions of deaths. The study also found that religion has been a factor and undercurrent of multiple peaceful movements and protests (American civil rights movement, Indian independence movement, etc.)

According to the study's conclusions: "very few if any wars in the past 100 years have been purely religious wars. ..... Despite the negativity around the role of religion in violent conflict, this study has demonstrated that the picture is much more complicated."

This demonstrates that your assertion that most wars are caused by religion is false.

Source: University of Bradford, Department of Peace Studies
God and War: An Audit & an Exploration – Link
Direct Link
Alternate Link
chrisjohnson

Pro

chrisjohnson forfeited this round.
thedude346

Con

No arguments have been made by the opposition, therefore no rebuttals can be made.

I have no new arguments to make at this time. It is increasingly likely chrisjohnson threw the debate, as he has forfeited two rounds so far, and is likely to forfeit the last.
chrisjohnson

Pro

chrisjohnson forfeited this round.
thedude346

Con

Yeah, chrisjohnson threw the debate. Forget it. Don't bother voting; this was a non-debate.

I hold no ill will against my opponent, I just wish he could've carried through.
Posted by KnowItAll 4 years ago
KnowItAll
I will happy to debate this topic with you but we have to finish our current debate before I can accept this debate.