DonRCavalier
hughes35e

Religion destroys morality

DonRCavalier

Pro

Since many zealots and politicians ( sickening example Hillary Clinton) use religion to suggest morality, I want to shatter that illusion. I will save the definition of morality for the debate. Pls leave a comment on how you will argue against before I accept your challenge. It would be nice to have an informative and thoughtful debate and not a thousand Wikipedia links.
Round 1 acceptance
2 -3 Arguments
4 Conclusion.
hughes35e

Con

A paraphrase of morality is that it is standards of conduct that are basically used to define right and wrong. For instance it is considered morally wrong for a man to murder someone in most developed countries. Morality is a foundation for the creation and enactment of law. Religion has been, since recorded history, at the forefront of the adaptation of those laws. In medieval Europe, serfdom was justified, and thus made legal because the bible touted the virtues of a slave obeying their masters, and a lowly individual accepting their lot in life. this created an atmosphere where it became morally acceptable for the great and the good to subjugate the lowly. the same arguments quieted the indignation of slaves in the antebellum United States. Slaves were often read scripture about accepting their lot in life and the heavenly rewards for obeying their masters. This was used to reinforce the ideas of slave owners that owning slaves was morally acceptable and used as an argument in the debates over slavery.
Even in modern society, ideas like charity, modesty, humility, and piety are generally seen as virtues, even though evolutionarily, they make little sense. From an evolutionary standpoint it makes little sense to give away your resources to the poor, yet American citizens give away a quarter of a trillion dollars a year of resources that could be used to improve their own positions. Many women hold their own modesty in high regard even though the less modesty they have, the more likely they are to attract a potential mate. I believe both these examples show how religious ideals can shape the morality of both individuals and culture.
DonRCavalier

Pro

Hi. Thanks for accepting. I'm not sure if you agree or disagree with my claim that religion destroys morality, since a couple of your statements seem to make my case, but anyhow here it goes...

Morality is concerned with the definition of Right vs. Wrong, Good vs. Bad. So this highly subjective distinction has allowed religions, cults, groups to basically define their own morals. All religions or cults have their own moral code which is why they often look down on each other, but there is the "universal moral code" (1) that I think most religions at least claim to adhere to in some manner:

DO NO HARM
(Don't lie, cheat, steal, murder, abuse, destroy the environment...)
DO GOOD
(Be honest, fair, generous, respectful...)

But all religions have murdered hundreds of millions in the name of God. Christianity is no exception. So I think my argument is pretty straightforward: If any religion endorses murder of others, then it clearly is DOING HARM, and that is immoral.

(1) http://www.universalmoralcode.com...
hughes35e

Con

hughes35e forfeited this round.
DonRCavalier

Pro

DonRCavalier forfeited this round.
hughes35e

Con

hughes35e forfeited this round.
DonRCavalier

Pro

DonRCavalier forfeited this round.
hughes35e

Con

hughes35e forfeited this round.
Posted by DonRCavalier 2 years ago
DonRCavalier
Huges35 its not clear to me where u stand on this.
Posted by nzlockie 2 years ago
nzlockie
Oops too slow! Good luck y'all!
Posted by nzlockie 2 years ago
nzlockie
I'd debate this with you. My position would be that contrary to destroying morality, religion actually defines morality.
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
KhalifV
religion creates morality, but for the wrong reason. Religion says be good or burn forever. It creates an ultimatum for being good, but it's the wrong reason to be good.