thebarger
lewis20

Religion does more evil than good

lewis20

thebarger

Pro

i'll start the argument with a simple argument: no matter if the existence of God is true or false, Religion has created a business for profit, for power, & for corruption.
lewis20

Con

I would say that the existence of religion as it stands right now is a major benefit to society, in both its teachings of how people should live their life and in the charity work that is done in the name of religion.
I would restrict the focus to the 2 largest religions, as they have the largest influence in the world. Those being Christianity and Islam.
As Pro you have to prove that Religion does (present tense) more evil than good.
I will allow Pro to make the first arguments.
thebarger

Pro

thebarger forfeited this round.
lewis20

Con

Alright then
thebarger

Pro

Sorry about the forfeit, totally forgot about this.
I believed my argument was set in round one, but I see i need to make it more clear.

Religion does more harm than good:
--Governments
there is a very strong correlation between secular government & not only a strong economy but a more happy & health environment.

--conflict
Wouldn't you say religion was intended to unite? well why has it caused conflicts in all corners of the world?
...AND don't tell me religion is uniting people today, because I would f'n hope so seeing as how its the segration originator

this should be a good starting point. :)
lewis20

Con

Governments-
While this argument may have been valid in the past and religion could have been a negative factor in both advances in technology and trade, religion no longer plays a major rule in majority of countries governments.

Conflict-
I would say that religion was a uniting force and I would agree that it has caused past conflict, however I would not agree that in this current unrivaled climate of acceptance that conflict between competing religious groups is at an all time low.

Charity-
Religious people are 25% more like to donate money and 23% more likely to volunteer time. "The average annual giving among the religious is $2,210, whereas it is $642 among the secular. Similarly, religious people volunteer an average of 12 times per year, while secular people volunteer an average of 5.8 times."-Brooks
A much higher percentage of charity is done in the name of religion.

Religious teachings-
If you agree with them or not, modern mainstream followers of the major religions would agree that their respective religions preach peace and acceptance for their fellow man.

Missionary work-
Many countries, including the United States, have a religious population that is actively involved in reaching out across the world to both spread the word of their religion, but also helping the disadvantaged of the world. Many if not most all missionaries work in parts of the world oppressed by their respective governments and in very poor economic conditions. Their work includes basic medical, agricultural and housing needs all while spreading word of their respective religion.

http://www.hoover.org...
http://www.religioustolerance.org...
http://christianity.about.com...
thebarger

Pro

thebarger forfeited this round.
lewis20

Con

Hope my opponent comes back.
thebarger

Pro

thebarger forfeited this round.
lewis20

Con

Guess thats it.
Posted by IamZero 3 years ago
IamZero
Pro evidently didn't have his heart in this one.
Posted by lewis20 3 years ago
lewis20
or three days to post each argument I should say.
Posted by lewis20 3 years ago
lewis20
ya thats my plan, there are 3 days for 5 rounds of arguments though, fun stuff.
Posted by wjmelements 3 years ago
wjmelements
Boo forfeits.

The debate will continue all rounds. Your opponent may actually come back, and has the opportunity to until then. If you want the debate to end quicker, post immediately after each forfeit.
Posted by lewis20 3 years ago
lewis20
Anyone know if theres a way to end a debate like this? I feel like thebarger isn't comin back.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
thebargerlewis20Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made weak generalities; they should have been quantified to be persuasive. Pro forfeited leaving Con's arguments unamswered.