Religion has given far more to science than atheism ever will

I am pro because religion,particularly the "most violent"Islam and Roman Catholicism. Islam layed the groundwork for mathematics and muslims gave us some of the best astronomers,as well as the founder of chemistry. scientists such as Galileo,Corpernicus,Descartes, Boyle,Mendel,gay-lussac,the fathers of Bacteriology,geneology.the list goes on,all devout catholics(mendel became agnostic,but raised as a catholic,did not hate his faith,just wasnt sure)as well as the father of the bigbang theory for christians in general,newton,francis lewis atheist convert to christianity and head of human genome project,most importantly,they catholics were all funded by the church.from atheism we get evolution,the ipod and lightbulb. also,did i mention priests,nuns and monks,saint thomas aquinas and albertus magnus.

I thank my opponent for creating this debate.
I am Con here and my position is against the resolution: "Religion has given far more to science than atheism ever will".

I will start giving some definitions for the words from the resolution, which are very important to understand why it is false.

Religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. [1]

disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings. [2]

Science: a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws. [3]

Now I will give my argument on why the resolution is false.

Religion doesn't give anything to science.
Religion is a set of beliefs, about what science tries to "know". When the people in the Pro's examples made the discoveries they did, it was not because of religion. The fact the most of the people that made something for science were religious doesn't mean that religion did something to help, to contribute, as a matter of fact, religion already give the answers to the believers.

The only reason it is like this, is because most of scientist or people that did something for science were religious.
And of course, atheism doesn't give anything to science either.

The resolution is false. Religion and atheism gave the same to science: Nothing.

If Pro still wants to argue that religion gave something to science, then he/she would have to solve the non sequitur and provide explanation or evidence that shows that it is religion that gave scientist that "something" that made them do what they did, and no their brains... or their beards.

Vote for CON.

thomaspelletier96 forfeited this round.

I extend my arguments.

thomaspelletier96 forfeited this round.

I extend my arguments.
Vote Placed by The_Gatherer 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con made a better case and provided sources. Pro did not really make their case in the opening round at all, and then forfeited subsequent rounds.