xena2428
tyler.schillim

Religion in government

xena2428

Con

Hello, this is my first debate. I am writing a research paper on whether religion should be a part of our (the United States) government, and I really would like to hear some of the 'For' debates. I am on the opposing side, so I am against any religion in our government. I understand some people include rules. I'm only establishing common sense ones. No profanity, no threats, no lies, etc.
1st Round- Intro/Stance
2nd-4th Round- Warrants/Evidence/Rebuttals
5th Round- Closing Statements
Thanks! And good luck!
tyler.schillim

Pro

Hello, I wish to take the challenge on going on the pro side. I will be glad to help you and accept the terms that have been set. I wish to have a great debate.
xena2428

Con

My main/central issue with religion in government is that our country has a large variety of religions from Muslim to Buddhist to Catholic. Our first amendment gives us "freedom of [or from] religion". It is this freedom that drove our country into existence. Governments fueled by religion subjected its people to a life without freedom. The freedom to believe what they choose, or not to believe at all.
There is already a sense of religion in our government that has already restricted our rights as supposedly "free people". Gay and lesbian couples cannot be married because of religious beliefs. WHY is it wrong for two people of the same sex to love each other? Well. the Bible tells us it's wrong. Last time I checked, not everyone believes in the Bible. Therefore, government shouldn't have the power to tell any two people that they can or cannot be married. But since religion is, regretfully, a part of our government, the vote is swayed by religious opinion. Also, there's the issue of abortion. Government funding has been denied to abortion clinics because government officials decided it was immoral to end of the life of an unborn child. To restrict that child's choice to live. Yet, ironically, it is this very sense of religion in government that is restricting already-living people. Teens that are gay or lesbian are continuously bullied and subjected to criticism because of other teens whose religions label it as unholy and wrong. And instead of establishing a sense of equality amongst its people, government, by illegalizing gay marriage and cutting funding for abortion clinics, has set this air of religious superiority. Therefore, hurting our society physically and mentally.
tyler.schillim

Pro

To be honest with you, I do not think I support this kind of government (social contract), it is based on what the people think is necessary. The problem with that is that we are human and make mistakes over and over again and think we have no limits. If our government was based upon one religion like Christianity, then I think the people in charge would make a difference because they are obligated to do the work of the Lord. We are subject to authority, and if that authority was from people that wish to do good, than we will do good things and become a great nation. Some people do not believe in the Bible and therefore are subject to evil things as homosexuality and abortion. Homosexuality destroys the future because it would be impossible to reproduce and soon everyone would be converted to homosexuality and there would be no one left to populate the earth. Children would be unable to succeed throughout life without a male and female role model. Same goes for abortion, it would destroy the future of this nation. Abortion kills innocent babies that have done nothing wrong, therefore it is classified as murder. In order to stop evil like this we need good leaders with good intentions that will change this nation. Looking at the government today we might think to ourselves that would be impossible, but with a little faith, we can move mountains. Christians are not trying to bring people down, but if they are then shame on them, they are trying to help you, to save you from eternity/damnation into hell. In order to save this country, I think these changes should be made.

Let's try and focus on one topic, we can save homosexuality and abortion another debate. I understand you are using these as examples, but I feel we are moving away from the subject at hand.
xena2428

Con

xena2428 forfeited this round.
tyler.schillim

Pro

tyler.schillim forfeited this round.
xena2428

Con

xena2428 forfeited this round.
tyler.schillim

Pro

tyler.schillim forfeited this round.
xena2428

Con

xena2428 forfeited this round.
tyler.schillim

Pro

tyler.schillim forfeited this round.
Posted by tyler.schillim 3 years ago
tyler.schillim
Yeah sorry about that, it's a long story, but I will just have to hand this debate over to you. I will just have to accept the fact that no matter how hard you try to convince your opponent, he/she will never break or give in or doubt the topic at hand which is why I am longer debating. Sorry I could not tell you sooner.
Posted by xena2428 3 years ago
xena2428
Whoops. Sorry, missed my chance. But I would've argued that Christians today aren't pure or serving their Lord dutifully. Murdered, rapists, and thieves, majority of them are religious and a good chunk did their crimes under the thoughts that they were serving their higher power. Like you said. People make mistakes. Believing in a different origin of life isn't going to change that. Majority of our government is made up of religious people and has been since the beginning. Yet, look at where we are now. Maybe we should have more equality and let an equal amount of religious and non religious people be apart of this government. Answer me this. If Christianity becomes part of our government, what happens to the millions of people that do not believe in Christianity? They would not follow this 'Lord' and would probably rebel at the inequality of it all and would result in mass chaos and a divided nation.