Sitruk39
darceem

Religion is False

Con Tied Pro

Sitruk39

Con

The purpose of this debate is to argue against the presented religion, this debate is welcome to anyone of any faith unlike my previous debate about religion. I will let now wait.
darceem

Pro

My selected religion is Humanism. Before we begin I would like to propose some definitions.

Religion - a set of beliefs accepted by a group of people regarding ethics, principles and philosophies as well as origins of humanity and the earth
Humanism - a religious philosophy that all humans should be respected and conclusions should be made based on reasoning (thus humanism does fit the definitions of religion which do not require belief in a deity)

To win this debate, my opponent will have to prove that the principles of humanism are incorrect. The principles of humanism are as follows:

- Humans beings should be treated with mutual respect.
- An overall positive outlook on life.
- A valuing of reason to determine solutions and answers.
Sitruk39

Con

Hmmm, I know my abilities and since I agree with humanism and I can not disprove and of the said definitions. Darceem, I did not expect to be debating on humanism and I forfeit this debate. My ignorance on humanism being by definition a religion has given you this debate, congratulations.
darceem

Pro

Thank you kindly. If you intend to start this, I may suggest something more specific to theistic religion (since I'm pretty sure that was your intention.)
Sitruk39

Con

It was, I was intending to argue against Christianity, Judaism, Mormonism, Islam, etc. If you would like to argue for one of those you will get a much more challenging debate.
darceem

Pro

That's a Devil's Advocacy argument I'm not prepared or experienced for. My own beliefs dictate it's not our job to prove any god exists but rather to understand what we're left with (though I do believe there's a very high possibility there is some kind of god, but not any of the one defined in current religion).
Sitruk39

Con

I agree with you 100% and that leaves no room for a suitable debate on the subject matter.
darceem

Pro

Well, a noble attempt on your part. I look forward to watching you debate a monotheist.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
What's at issue is the definition of religion. The Wikipedia definition is a fairly standard one: "Religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of life and the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency" Dictonary.com has "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." Humanism is "any system or mode of thought or action in which human interests, values, and dignity predominate. " http://dictionary.reference.com... That seems to me quite different.

However, looking into it, I see that some Humanists do indeed consider it to be a religion. If so, then teaching it in schools is unconstitutional, and that is the basis of some dispute, per http://www.thenewamerican.com... Apparently there are the equivalent of holy books and here are leaps of faith. I didn't understand that. I still think it is better described as an ideology, but I see your point.
Posted by darceem 6 years ago
darceem
I think that's a very strict definition of ideology I've never heard before but Wikipedia might be your problem. But even according to Wikipedia an ideology is an idea made of goals and expectations. Where you're getting this nonsense that it can't be proven or disproven I have no idea - in the confines of society and societies expectations then principles absolutely can be proven correct or incorrect, and as I stated humanism is a belief in reason which can absolutely be proven.

My definition was based on professional dictionary definitions. And regardless, humanism is a large religion accepted by many as such with its own congregations. Of course it isn't as large as Christianity but it's accepted as a religion.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
I think Pro introduced a definition of religion that Con should not have accepted. Look, for example, at the Wikipedia definition of religion. The confusion is between the broad term "ideology" and the particular class of ideologies that constitute "religion." Roughly speaking, anything that is believed without proof is an ideology. I have used "quasi-religion" as in "communism is a quasi-religion," but I'm not sure that really does the job.

Anyway, the resolution is that all religions can be proved false. Religons cannot be proved true, because then there is no faith involved and it isn't a religion. However, I don't see how all religions can be proved false. Deism (per Madison, Jefferson, et al) postulates that God created the universe, never intervenes in it's operation, and will return one day in judgment. there can be no disproof, because there is nothing to contradict the belief.
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Very cool debate.
Posted by Sitruk39 6 years ago
Sitruk39
This Debate has taught me a lesson.
Posted by darceem 6 years ago
darceem
I accept your challenge sir.
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
Unless you have the absolute truth, good luck. :P
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
Namely, how can any religion be "false", sorry I love semantics.
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
What is this debate about ?
Posted by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
you should be "pro" on religion is false
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
Sitruk39darceemTied
Vote Placed by Grape 6 years ago
Grape
Sitruk39darceemTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Sitruk39darceemTied
Vote Placed by Sitruk39 6 years ago
Sitruk39
Sitruk39darceemTied
Vote Placed by darceem 6 years ago
darceem
Sitruk39darceemTied