jdogi
EvangilisticOmega

Religion is Undeniably Grand Escapism

EvangilisticOmega

jdogi

Pro

First round is for acceptance.

Arguments will start in round two.
EvangilisticOmega

Con

I accept, but please provide definitions.
jdogi

Pro

Religion is, by definition 'the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power; God(s)'.

While in this debate I am not discounting the personal beliefs of others, as everyone is entitled to their beliefs, I am simply saying I believe them to be wrong. Not only this, but illogical.

I was raised in a Catholic household, and raised Catholic. Both of my parents attended a Catholic school. This being said as to make it a point that I was not raised to believe in Atheism. I discovered based on my own logical thinking that religion is simply a grand distraction that humanity uses to escape the horrors of reality.

Taking a step back, you will see that at their core, all religions essentially stand for the same thing. Of course there are select religions that yield considerable extremities to this rule, however most do not. Religion as a whole promts the idea of an afterlife.
I believe this to be false. There is of course no afterlife. When people die....they die. Nor has there ever been any scientific evidence that says otherwise.
Humans, naturally, are fearful of death. Religion compensates for much of that fear. Religion gives peace of mind to the believer that when he or she dies, they are going to 'a better place'. And therefor much of the fear and pain of death is diminished. That is great, as who am I to say people should be fearful of death? I am all for less fear, and more happiness.
My only concern, is that the happiness instilled by religion is that brought on by false pretenses.
People are not less fearful of death because they go to a happier place, they are less fearful because they falsely think they will.
That, if nothing else, is living (or I suppose dying) a lie.

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god, and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that the nature he is destroying is the god he is worshiping," -Hubert Reeves

..and no one says it better than Robert Green Ingersoll:
"Fear paints pictures of ghosts and hangs them in the gallery of ignorance."
^^Religious thinking is an excuse for these kinds of actions.

Religion is a cowards response to fear, and a fools excuse for ignorance.
EvangilisticOmega

Con

You stated that there is no afterlife. Can you prove that to be true? I can't and I am a Christian, you see neither of us can prove anything. Religion is not for comfort. In fact, here is an example of religion not being all warm and fuzzy. The Muslim religion worships a god that hates his people according to themselves. And with Christianity We worship a loving God, but people all think that He is evil for various reasons, but a that's a debate for another time. Anyways, a friend of mine is going to go live in Indonesia because God called her to do missionary work there, and I am sure you know that Indonesia is not the most comfortable place to live. Some people think that all religious people just have religion for comfort, but with Christianity at least it is not comfortable, and you will see supposed Christians living in lavish conditions which is not wrong, they just may be wealthier than other Christians. But many will say they are Christians, yet their actions may say otherwise. And yes some people do accept religion for comfort. But not all. And religion does not always give peace of mind, in fact, I have found that things can get more stressful with religion.

So know I see that you are calling me a coward and a fool. But let me ask you this; would you go to a foreign country or any hostile part of the world to preach your beliefs? Are religious people really cowards? Or is it the ones who seek to destroy the beliefs of others with flawed reasoning and the only incentive of offense to prove a point?

Now I ask, who is the real coward?
jdogi

Pro

jdogi forfeited this round.
EvangilisticOmega

Con

Points carry over.
jdogi

Pro

jdogi forfeited this round.
EvangilisticOmega

Con

EvangilisticOmega forfeited this round.
Posted by jdogi 1 year ago
jdogi
Grand Escapism:
A means for humans to escape reality. Life's problems, dying etc.
Posted by EvangilisticOmega 1 year ago
EvangilisticOmega
I may take this.
Posted by TheKryken 1 year ago
TheKryken
I assume by "grand escapism" you mean that religion is no more than a means for people to escape reality?
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
jdogiEvangilisticOmegaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff more times, so conduct to Con.