Religion is harmful to society in many aspects. Religion has been the cause of a lot of violence. For example, in many instances different religions disagree. An example of this religious disagreement can be found with Christianity and Islam. Christianity believes that Jesus is the last prophet and that his teachings are the ultimate message of God. While, Islam believes that Muhammad is the last prophet and that his teachings are the ultimate message of God not Jesus' teachings. This disagreement, sparked conflict between muslims and christians which eventually just led to war because the christians wanted Jerusalem because they believed it was the city in which Jesus was crucified. But muslims also wanted the city because they believed it was the city in which Muhammad ascended into the kingdom of God. This war led to the death of thousands of deaths. But possibly the worst thing is they justified this murders in the name of "God". Look at what religion has led people to do: murdered thousands and justified it in the name of a fictional entity. Religion can turn people into murdering sociopaths torturing innocent people. If religion had never existed in the first place thousands and thousands of innocent lives would have been spared.
Note: I am not saying religion is real, I am only saying it is helpful to our society.
In general, your point is that people are dying because of religion, and you just made it detailed.
1. Torturing and war for religious purposes is much less common today than it is the time you seem to be describing.
2. Religion causes more peace than war. When it comes to country vs country, it's worst, but we are talking about society, not nations' relationships. Most not peaceful religions either don't exist today or doesn't cause a problem inside the country.
3. Many religious people would do ANYTHING to avoid violence. Over to you.
1. Religious violence is quite present in the modern world. Examples are the Charlie Hebdo attacks and ISIS's countless reporter decapitations.
2. Islam is causing havock in the Middle East. Iraq is being destroyed by muslim extremist groups
3.Christianity, Islam and countless other religions are by principle hateful towards women and homosexuals. This hate has resulted in violence. Islam objectifies women and promotes domestic violence and Christianity considers homosexuals an abomination and protests against them with slogans like "GOD HATES GAYS"