DMDemo
Philocat

Religion is hindering scientific progress

DMDemo

Pro

Basic rules:
  • Round 1- Acceptance
  • Round 2 and on- Statement and rebuttal

This is a logical debate, a debate focused on emotional appeal will not be valid.
This is a DEBATE, not an argument. Sources, but not wikipedia, are expected.

Definitions:
  • Religion- any organized mass convinced beyond doubt that a divine being exists.
  • Scientific progress- the advancement of information collection, interpretation, and application through the use of the scientific method.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Philocat

Con

I accept your debate (I'm new to debate.org, is this all you do in an acceptance round?).

I agree with your definition of scientific progress, but your definition of religion if false because the large majority of theists are not convinced beyond doubt that a divine being exists. They believe in such a being, but even priests have doubt (they have told me).

Altered Definition:
Religion- any organised mass who believe that a divine being exists.
DMDemo

Pro

To be frank, I must appologise.
I will not continue with this debate as unforseen events have occured.

To those interested in the debate, feel free to adopt the topic.

I am sorry to have to withdraw like this.
Philocat

Con

No worries, hope everything works out okay! :)
DMDemo

Pro

DMDemo forfeited this round.
Philocat

Con

Philocat forfeited this round.
DMDemo

Pro

DMDemo forfeited this round.
Philocat

Con

Philocat forfeited this round.
Posted by epicnachos10 2 years ago
epicnachos10
it will be interesting to see how this debate goes
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
How have we hindered any innovations. We enjoy the things invented also.The bible says that God has given us all THINGS to enjoy. We even see technology in the bible. God has a cruise ship that travels at the speed of light. God said that all matter is " light". Not illumination, but the building block of all matter.

We just do not agree with pseudo-science comprised of theories and projections, and assumptions. YOU can research them, but quit saying they are proven facts.In fact the renaisance co-incided with the releasing of scriptures into the general population.Up to that point it was called the dark ages.The bible was hid out in monestaries by Catholicism. And even made it a crime to translate it into a language the common people could read. And insisted that anything they wanted to know the priests could tell them. And that got christianity all screwed up.Martin Luther instigated the rebirth of the bible in the hands of the folks. And that brought the age of enlightenment.