fasttrack
kasmic

Religion is not Important

kasmic

fasttrack

Pro

First round will be acceptance
Second Round is your argument
Third Round is rebuttal and argument
Fourth Round is rebuttal and conclusion
kasmic

Con

I accept! Good luck.
fasttrack

Pro

Religion is not important for many reasons. First of all, most religions agree that there is one God. However, each religion hates another religion just because they do not believe exactly the same things as their religion does. If you all serve the same God, then religion is the only thing that sets you apart. Also, God doesn't just love one religion, He loves anyone that will 'take up the cross and follow Him.' How can religion be important if that is true?
kasmic

Con

Is religion important?

Dictionary.com has 7 definitions for the word important. My argument will function around these definitions. (1)

1: “of much or great significance or consequence:”

Religion has been and still is of great significance. More than 80% of the world is religious.(2) Pretty significant. It is also of great consequence. Many wars have been or are being fought in the name of religion.

2. “mattering much (usually followed by to):”

Same stat shows that religion matters to more than 80% of the world. Obviously Religion matters much.

3. “entitled to more than ordinary consideration or notice:”

Religion is a large part of culture and does receive more than ordinary consideration or notice.

4. “prominent or large:”

Again, 80% of the world shows how prominent Religion is in the world.

5. “of considerable influence or authority, as a person or position:”

Religion has considerable influence, or authority over the 80% of people who follow a religion.

6. “having social position or distinction, as a person or family: “

The Pope, or Dalai Lama show the tremendous social distinction a religion can give a person. Religion itself gives social position in many places in the world.

7. “pompous; pretentious:”

Ever hear of Mardi Gras. Pretty pompous, wouldn’t you say.

Conclusion:

Having observed all 7 definitions of the word important, it is clear that religion fits all of them. As such, religion is important. The resolution is negated.

(1) http://dictionary.reference.com...
(2) http://www.washingtontimes.com...

fasttrack

Pro

I looked up religion at dictionary.com as well. I found this:
noun
1.
belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny

at BBC religion was described as this:
Religion can be explained as a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

With these two definitions it means that everyone has some sort of 'religion'. However, it doesn't mean that it is important. In fact, it is often said that people turn to religion when they are in trouble. Why would you turn to religion and not God? Religion is just another way that the world can define you, that they can look at you. If we were to get rid of religion, all we would have left are our God, or gods to worship. People put themselves into different categories when they call themselves "Christians", "Catholics", "Baptists", "Hindi", etc. Why do we have to do that? Why can't we just say that we trust in ......, we have faith in...... we follow.....

By the BBC terms, if you don't have religion, you don't have morals. Which we all know is not true. Atheists have morals. They just don't believe in a god.

Religion doesn't define you, it doesn't help you, it doesn't take care of you. (Depending on what/who you believe in) God helps you, God takes care of you, God loves you. Religion is the world's way of describing you, not God's.
kasmic

Con

Pro says “it is often said that people turn to religion when they are in trouble. Why would you turn to religion and not God?”

I am not sure of my opponents point here as the definition that he provided for religion includes the belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power… Ergo when someone says they are “turning to their religion” it could easily be a reference for turning to what they believe is “God.”

Pro also says “If we were to get rid of religion, all we would have left are our God, or gods to worship.”

Again I am not sure of the point my opponent is making. The definitions provided as to what religion is would include a “God, or Gods to worship.” As such it is a nonsensical argument my opponent is making. To “get rid of religion” based on the definitions my opponent provided is to “get rid” of God.

Pro then says “By the BBC terms, if you don't have religion, you don't have morals. Which we all know is not true. Atheists have morals. They just don't believe in a god.”

I find it odd that my opponent would quote the BBC definition and then take issue with the definition that he quoted.

Odder still my opponent says “Religion doesn't define you, it doesn't help you, it doesn't take care of you. (Depending on what/who you believe in) God helps you, God takes care of you, God loves you. Religion is the world's way of describing you, not God's.”

Again, the conclusion that my opponent makes that “God helps you, God takes care of you, God loves you,” fits the description of what could be called a religion.

Conclusion:

My opponent has not disputed any of the definitions of important. Therefore, “Having observed all 7 definitions of the word important, it is clear that religion fits all of them. As such, religion is important. The resolution is negated.”

fasttrack

Pro

You must have missed something when you were reading from God's word. God does not categorize us into religion. People do that. God loves all of us equally, regardless of religion, status, or income. Religion is not important because you will have God's love either way.

Some people label me a Christian. I do not care to take that name because you are putting me into a category. I am merely one of Thousands who follow God. I take up my cross and follow Jesus. Religion does not love you. Just tells you how to love God. Well doesn't the Bible do that? Why would you need to be labeled with a religion if you are reading from the Bible that not only tells you how to love God, serve God, or follow God, but how to be like Him as well?

Wouldn't it be amazing to see all the religions come together and worship their God? Just to forget about all of the rules that their religion has set, and focus on the rules of God instead? Isn't that so much more important than following your religion? God labels us as His children. The world labels us with religions. Either way you are going to Heaven if you believe, right? So saying religion is important, when you will get to Heaven if you believe in God and love God with OR without religion, is ironic. Religion is of the world. God is not of the world though. He is creator of the world. And followers of Christ are suppose to be like Him.
Not of the world, just in it. Not living in the world, but living in God.
kasmic

Con

Pro says “You must have missed something when you were reading from God's word. God does not categorize us into religion. People do that. God loves all of us equally, regardless of religion, status, or income. Religion is not important because you will have God's love either way.”

Acts 11:26 “And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.”

James 1:27 “Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.”

It seems that the Bible teaches that disciples of Christ are to be called Christians, as well as advocates for “true religion.”

Also pro’s definition of important being “having God’s love” is not from the dictionary, rather it is my opponents own definition.

Pro says “Why would you need to be labeled with a religion if you are reading from the Bible that not only tells you how to love God, serve God, or follow God, but how to be like Him as well?”

I am not contending that people need religion… rather that it is important.

Conclusion:

Vote Con!

Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
80% of the world lol!
Posted by intellectuallyprimitive 2 years ago
intellectuallyprimitive
important to "who" will decide this debate.
Vote Placed by Lexus 2 years ago
Lexus
fasttrackkasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm giving pro s&g since con used a terrible font (sorry if you love it, but it's terrible). Con made better sources and arguments, so they win those.
Vote Placed by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
fasttrackkasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: While I say it only matches 5 of the 7 meaning of important con did have a great argument. Pro losses on the sources because not citing the source makes it less reliable.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
fasttrackkasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gains sources concidering he is the only one to use sources. Con's definition's of important are key in this debate, because they fit religion and thus make it a win for Con.