somethingDOT
Mike_10-4

Religion is not needed anymore

Mike_10-4

somethingDOT

Pro

Religion: an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.

I would like to start off with acceptance.

Rules:
No swearing
Opinions are allowed
Do not get aggressive, this is supposed to be a fun debate
Have fun
Mike_10-4

Con

I accept, and let's “Have fun” in an enjoyable learning experience in a constructive dialog.

somethingDOT

Pro

somethingDOT forfeited this round.
Mike_10-4

Con

My Religion is Science.

"Organized collection of beliefs:" The Laws of Nature.
"Cultural systems:" The scientific community using the scientific method.
"...humanity to an order of existence:" The Laws of Nature created life and humanity through evolution.

Therefore "Religion" is needed forevermore.
somethingDOT

Pro

somethingDOT forfeited this round.
Mike_10-4

Con

Too bad Pro “forfeited,” but Con will press the issue that Religion is needed.

What is religion? It is simply a belief in something that transcends you. Throughout recorded history all human cultures possess some form of belief, aka religion. Not one was found to be atheistic.

According to Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com...):

Religion: “a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.”

As a scientist, I understand the importance of religion. Paraphrasing Dictionary.com on the definition of religion relative to the Laws of Nature, a set of Laws that created humanity. These Laws are the “cause, nature, and the purpose of the universe,” where these Laws are “considered as the creation of a … agencies” (aka the Cosmos), “usually involving devotional and ritual observances,” (aka the scientific method), “and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs;” hence, the genesis of a moral code via life’s Unalienable Rights of “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness;” as these Rights are part of the Laws of Nature.
http://www.amazon.com...
http://www.amazon.com...

In closing, I wish my Friend Pro a long, healthy “Life” with ample freedom (“Liberty”), in the moralpursuit of Happiness.” Please enjoy your Unalienable Rights, compliments from the scholars of religion and discovery in science, during your life's vacation from nonexistence. We must remember, like all vacations, they are far too short.
Posted by Nomiad92 2 years ago
Nomiad92
cheyennebodie I see you did not understand my comment. I did not say faith is not needed anymore. I said religion is, because religion (in my opinion) has one only intention: controlling people. That is because many political parties are used to giving opinions and arguments to defend themselves based on religious events. I think that if those parties could believe in God, they would not act the way they do. I grew up in a catholic family, and I also used to go the Church every week. Then I could learn the difference between faith and religion, and I consider a certainty that faith is totally different from religion. My family believes in God (I do not personally), but I respect them because I find it so beautiful to believe in something with all that strength, frankly. Faith is believing, but religion has only caused many wars and conflicts, and it is not considerate of people with other ways of thinking. And when I talk about religion, I refer to all kind of religions in the world, not only Christianity.
I know many people diagnosed of some illness as you say resort to God, and I do not say that is a bad way of acting, just because that is only a sign of faith, not a sign of religion. I was diagnosed of a chronicle disease with no cure when I was fourteen, but I did not believe in God despite that happening. But my family did, so trust me if I say to you that I understand your point of view when you say some people need to believe in that kind of situations.
Anyway, sorry if I bothered you, it was not my intention.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
nomiad. You are very mistaken. Just look at the Jewish people. The controlled a large part of economies even without a country to do it from. And they were blessed because of the covenant God made with Abraham.It is the godless inner cities that send people back to the stone age.You people took prayer, or you tried to, out of schools, and what is left, metal detectors.You say we do not need God. Speak for yourself. If a doctor told you that you hade terminal cancer you would have to lay down and accept it. We do not. We also have a healing covenant with our creator.Also protection covenants. The godlessness of our society has raised a great many problems you people are running around pulling your hair out trying to fix. Just look at our federal debt. God says do not borrow because the borrower becomes servant of the lender. Obama says that this huge debt will not hurt us as he prints billions trying to make it seem like it is not hurting us. Paper money. With nothing to back it up but the word of people like Obama.And he lies every time his lips are moving.
Posted by Nomiad92 2 years ago
Nomiad92
Religion is a political way of thinking. Namely, a conservative one. Faith is something different, faith is a belief, and I don't think it has to be eliminated because of that simple reason. But I totally agree that religion has to, because since its origins, religion has only served for impeding other ways of thinking express themselves. For example, as we can see everyday in the news or wherever: science. Religion doesn't let science carry out with many developments and also research, like embryo stem cells study. That's because in my opinion, religion has to disappear (I don't mind if faith has to or not actually), because I think it only serves for keeping us being cavemen.
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
somethingDOTMike_10-4Tied
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
somethingDOTMike_10-4Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.