Vinny12345
dannyc

Religion is rarely a good thing in modern first world societies.

dannyc

Vinny12345

Pro

First round is for acceptance. Refutations and more points come up throughout debate. Good luck!
dannyc

Con

Vinny12345

Pro

The first point that I would like to make is that in many instances, religion can cause, (or at lest be a part of) the killing of millions of people. I realize that I am breaking Godwin's law, however, in a number of instances Hitler used his Roman Catholicism to help persecute the Jews [1]. For example, he stated "God helps only those who are prepared and determined to help themselves.-Adolf Hitler, Nov. 06 1938" I realize that he is not speaking directly about the persecute my of Jews, however other quotes can be found about him being very explicit about how god wanted Jews to be exterminated. Another example of this happening is in any places where religion is present in first world countries, even in the U.S. For example, the westboro Baptist church is very discriminatory against the LGBT community. The KKK was very prominent in the unfair persecution of black people. This is one of the reasons why I believe that religion is rarely good in modern first world societies.

1.http://www.democraticunderground.com...
dannyc

Con

I will present a short Opening, and a refutation. A short refutation is necessary. Pro points out that religion in 'many' instances can cause the deaths of Millions. Firstly, he has given no evidence of this. Secondly, his points about religion are specifically Christian, not Islamic, nor Judaic or Buddhist, or any other of the many religions that are across the world, so my first point.

The Nazi's were firstly not just killing Jews due to Hitler's belief in God's desire for the Jews to die. The history of Anti-semitism is far reaching and broader with economic, social and political factors of a emerging superpower at that time. we simply cannot concur that The Holocaust was directly due to religion. Not to mention, 1930-45 is not what I would consider a 'Modern' society, and considering the time-frame is not given, I can only assume Pro is helping himself to ambiguous definitions.

Second point of Clarification, does Pro state that 'religion' is rarely good if implemented into a 'Modern' society, or that historically or with contemporary evidence we can show religion rarely has done good in contemporary society. One is theoretical and the other a historical inquiry. Following from point 2. Westboro Baptist Church consists of maybe 40 members out of a population of 330 million. That is a tiny portion of a largely religious country, and I discount this as evidence that 'Religion is rarely good'. In Refutation, Pro has given weak evidence to support the idea that Nazi's killed Jews because of Religion. God and Religion are not necessarily combined either.

Religion is defined as a set of principles that are a creed style belief system. This debate is about the practical implications of this on society, this seems evident due to the type of argument Pro is making.

http://www.hlic.org...

http://feedthehungry.org...

http://www.jdc.org...

Vinny12345

Pro

Vinny12345 forfeited this round.
dannyc

Con

dannyc forfeited this round.
Vinny12345

Pro

Vinny12345 forfeited this round.
dannyc

Con

dannyc forfeited this round.
Vinny12345

Pro

Vinny12345 forfeited this round.
dannyc

Con

Con never made a case for his B.O.P. I refuted his opening, and made a case for widespread charity, since he refused to engage my point on Charity, it means his points were refuted mine were untouched. I win.
Posted by Vinny12345 2 years ago
Vinny12345
Hitler's actions were in line with part of the Catholic Church. Now, it would be unfair to say that what he did was in line with ALL, or even a majority of the church would be silly, but there are countless photos taken of him greeting priests and other church members. As an agnostic atheist, I do not condone Hitler's actions, however, he was doing what the bible told him that he should have. Read deuteronomy 17:2,3 and 5. "If there is found among you, within any of your towns that the Lord your God is giving you, a man or woman who does what is evil in the sight of the Lord your God, in transgressing his covenant, and has gone and served other gods and worshiped them, or the sun or the moon or any of the host of heaven, which I have forbidden, then you shall bring out to your gates that man or woman who has done this evil thing, and you shall stone that man or woman to death with stones."
Posted by WileyC1949 2 years ago
WileyC1949
Vinny: There is a HUGE difference between making one's faith a guiding force in your life, and USING faith in order to manipulate people. Was Hitler's actions in keeping with the teachings of the Church? If not, then despite what he said, he was not Catholic. Read Matt 7:21-23
Posted by dannyc 2 years ago
dannyc
Few instances is not = to positive effects. I only need to show necessary positive effects in broad religion to win, you cannot appeal and say 'that's just one aspect', few occasions is not equal to few positive attributes.
Posted by Vinny12345 2 years ago
Vinny12345
I put that it is rarely a good thin in modern societies because I recognize that there may be a few instances where it has positive effects.
Posted by pedigree17 2 years ago
pedigree17
Religion should be taught right. What people do in its name is a different story.
Posted by aburk903 2 years ago
aburk903
Rarely implies that you also defend that there are times in which religion is a positive force. Interested in debating a Con position from that angle?
Vote Placed by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
Vinny12345dannycTied
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 2 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
Vinny12345dannycTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't stick around to respond to any of Con's criticisms.