dan564891
InVinoVeritas

Religion is useless

InVinoVeritas

dan564891

Pro

Simple... religion is useless and is of no benefit to anyone.

First round for acceptance.
InVinoVeritas

Con

dan564891

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for accepting. I offer my opponent the chance to argue first... he must provide arguments to show that religion has some use in this world.
InVinoVeritas

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for the opportunity to argue first. I will respectfully decline.

I look forward to my opponent's arguments for his case.
dan564891

Pro

Ok... seeing as you accepted the debate, that means you must disagree with me, correct?

That means you find religion is useful. I simply would like to know in what way religion is useful.

I don't see any single factor of life improved upon because of religion and due to scientific advancements, it could be that religion is no longer needed at all.

Religion does not provide any answers... that's a fact.

Religious books are full of errors and are severally outdated.

So many conflicts in this world are caused by religion.

Religion is always given so much respect... it gets tax reliefs, it's "not right" to make fun of it... and (especially true of Islam), you get in so much trouble if you question it. This is not fair.

Religion gives false hope to billions of people and tells them that their life had meaning. In all probability, this is a lie. Life has no meaning, because humans are only here by chance. Something that exists by chance can have no meaning.

Over to my opponent to respond to my points.
InVinoVeritas

Con

Since the opponent did not depict a concrete definition:

Usefulness: (n) Being of practical use

Rebuttal:

The opponent states that religion does not provide any answers. This is, of course, not the case. Religion certainly does provide answers for many questions (e.g., "What caused life to begin?"); the validity of these answers, however, is controversial.

"Religious books are full of errors and are severally outdated," states the opponent. On the contrary, many old books that play extremely influential roles in science and other fields have many errors. There were errors found in Einstein's theory of relatively [1], which, according to many, is one of the most influential works in the history of physics, if not science, as a whole. "Outdated"? How old is too old? Isn't "outdated" sort of outdated? The works of Socrates and Plato are respected by philosophers today, and they are pretty "outdated," wouldn't you say?

"So many conflicts in this world are caused by religion." This is irrelevant, since we are discussing usefulness, not whether religion is good or bad. But one could argue that, in fact, initiating conflict is a way in which religion is put to use, thereby evidencing its usefulness.

I would go on with these rebuttals, but they are completely irrelevant to the matter at hand. We are not questioning how beneficial religion is; we are attempting to determine whether it is practical or not.

Arguments:

Let's see how religion is used for practical purposes...

Religion enables clergymen to receive a salary to sustain themselves and their families... And that's practical.

Religion gives people a feeling of understanding and purpose by shedding light on questions that are seemingly(?) unanswerable... And that's practical.

Religion builds bonds among people. People of the same religion feel more close to each other due to their shared belief systems. This leads to strong relationships among people... And that's practical.

---

Practicality, or "usefulness," just depicts the ability to reach an end through a means. Based on my rebuttals and example-based counterargument, I think it is not only clear but BLATANT that religion is "useful."

[1] http://www.wwlange.de...
dan564891

Pro

dan564891 forfeited this round.
InVinoVeritas

Con

That's what I thought.
dan564891

Pro

dan564891 forfeited this round.
InVinoVeritas

Con

Okay, then.
Posted by brian_eggleston 5 years ago
brian_eggleston
I've often been described as a "militant atheist" but even I wouldn't argue that religion is useless!
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
dan564891InVinoVeritasTied
Reasons for voting decision: .
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
dan564891InVinoVeritasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gets conduct and arguments for Pro's forfeit and a thorough rebuttal.