Religion should be taken out of the USA government

Religion should be taken out of the USA government.
We'll start our argument on the second round.

I'm glad that you've accepted my debate :)
Okay, I'll separate my argument into two separate points.
1. According to this source, America is growing with religious diversity. The major religion praised in government is Christianity and due to this growing diversity, it is not just to exclude over religions. Christian beliefs are everywhere in the USA government. For example, the money we use here says "In God We Trust," there is prayer in public schools, and "Under God" is in the pledge of allegiance.
Sources for first point:
2. One specific religion in government comes with its own bias. A few beliefs held by Christians that affects the way USA is run are:
-Stance on LGBT (Lesbian, gay, bi, trans)
Of course, not all Christians follow the bible very literally, however the bible does affect few aspects in government.
Evidence for bible against specific beliefs:
On abortion: Well, I've been looking for a quote directly saying abortion is wrong in the bible, but I can't find anything. According to a source I've found (listed), "The unborn is a person" and "murder is wrong." They say, without evidence, that fetuses are persons. I won't be getting into that, however.
"Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable."
Leviticus 18:22
LGBT 2: "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."
Genesis 1:27 NIV
This belief is not exactly trans friendly. According to LGBT and allies, gender is more than two.
Sources for second point:

I am not specifically saying that trusting that religion is okay in the government because people may depend on these religious beliefs, but I feel that having so much of it in the government introduces an chance of unfairness.
To sum up so far:
-religious diversity

I will refute your arguments in the same form you did. I am an American so no need to explain things that a foreigner wouldn't know about.

1. There is religious diversity everywhere, I believe that what you are saying there is that Christianity is already declining out of the government and that it should be sped up, this is to broad of an argument therefore I cannot, and will not refute it.

2. Are you saying that being pro life is a bad thing? This whole debate could turn into an anti abortion debate if we let it but I will request this, that you give me one decent, logical reason of why an unborn child should be killed.

While LGBT lifestyles have been worming there way into American culture, even non Christians see it as wrong, detestable, and disgusting.

I think that your arguments look good at a glance but they are much to broad, this debate is 3 separate, smaller debates.

My point for you; The USA was founded on Christian PRINCIPLES, not Christianity itself. The founding fathers recognized that something like this would happen and founded the USA accordingly. So while there are, and are supposed to be, Christian morals and principles in the government, the religion itself is not part of the government. I am not trying to contradict myself. I am simply pointing out the facts.

I myself am pro-life and anti LGBT.

To any of you following or just glancing over this debate, My opponents arguments look good but when you have to refute them, you realize that this is more than just one debate.

I am not a foreigner. I don't know why you would come to this conclusion. My knowledge in USA government and politics is concise.

2. I am not prolife or anti LGBT. I am not saying that having those beliefs are bad, however I am saying that religious beliefs affect the actions of the government, due to its inequality in government. According to this source, (below) there is already inequality in the senate. This inequality introduces a certain bias. Being Christians hold those specific beliefs, them being the majority, affects the laws and ideas issued.
Source used:
Even though, not only Christians are anti LGBT, there is an overwhelming percent that is. It is a major belief of Christianity for the opposition of LGBTQ.

According to you, America was founded on Christian principles? Which are those? To be a good person? If so, that is not Christian. That's common sense. A few of our founding fathers have said quotes that contradict that belief. For example, "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."
--John Adam
"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man"- Thomas
This is merely one debate, yet with complex aspects of it. It's somewhat layered.

I specified AND made a MASSIVE deal about the USA not being FOUNDED on Christianity but with Christian principles. I don't know why In the world you would assume something that I blatantly made clear in the simplest way possible. These principles were put into place for the reasons that you have permitted into this argument such as LGBT and abortion. You don't realize that this is precisely why the founding fathers made it this way.

I rest my case and hope that my opponent can realize that these are the things the founding fathers despised.
Posted by mattcadriel 8 months ago
I am now joining this debate and I have several things to discuss with you guys. First off, the thing that CalinMarie said about Christians being anti LGBT, we Christians believe that we should love each other equally, no matter what the person has done or does. As the Bible says being gay, lesbian, or trans is technically a sin. But that doesn't mean that God doesn't still love them. God hates the sin not the person. I believe that LGBT is a way of the devil and that you are born the wrong gender is crap and gayness is a choice. People sometimes use LGBT as a way to hate on Christians, to say that we are anti LGBT and that we hate LGBT. God wouldn't create someone that would sin right on birth. God loves all of us equally.

2. Now lets talk about abortion. I don't think you have done enough research about abortion in the Bible. There are several verses that basically tell you what God thinks about abortion. it says so in Jeremiah 1:5, Psalms 139:13-16, Exodus 21:22-25, Genesis 1:26-27, and Genesis 9:6. They talk about how God takes time to create us and he wouldn't want us to kill his creation. it is murder and is defiantly not right.
Posted by EvangilisticOmega 8 months ago
I hate to disagree but that will only make things worse, because not all religions are the same, muslims have a god who does not care about there well being for example, so just picture what that would look like in 50 years. It is human nature to argue and disagree and that could lead to civil wars and the like.
Posted by majesticturkey 8 months ago
I am a Christian who believes that rather than removing religion from government, all religion should be allowed in government so long as it does not affect policy. I find pro's arguments to be very weak, lacking, and watered down without any real merit. But they exist, and con's sources seem to be left on his/her clipboard. If you don't present an argument, you don't win, and simply saying "nuh-uh" doesn't work. Shame on pro for giving a high-school argument, but congrats on not taking a complete nap like con did.
Posted by CalinMarie 8 months ago
doesn't understand*

Vote Pro! Thanks.
Posted by CalinMarie 8 months ago
The USA has changed a lot since it begun. Also, the original saying for America was not supposed to be In God We Trust, it was supposed to say something along the lines of "all for all." It was changed many years later. I don't know why my opponent understands that these so called Christian principles examples were not mentioned specifically and most of them are common sense.

Damn, this debate is heated.
Love to debate you sometime on abortion or something.
Patience young grasshopper.
Posted by CalinMarie 8 months ago
Let's debate in the debate rounds. Post your part.
The USA was founded on Christian principles whether you like it or not, it's just not a Christian country.
Posted by Troller808 8 months ago
Prayer in public school? This a a constitution violation if the school participates in the prayer. If that is so the case take it up to the education board.
Posted by Troller808 8 months ago
Neither of these contenders are correct. The U.S. government may have things in it like "In God We Trust" but that does not make it religious. The U.S. is not founded on christian principles, Most of the founding fathers were not even christian. It mentions god because they wanted to show that there is no one that may infringe upon American rights and upon what is right. Most of the major religions that are now rising such a Islam and Christianity both have one god named god, so i see no problem for those people and if your religion does not tolerate other religions than you can't make a valid argument. You can't make a valid argument because the constitution or any thing that says god in the government does not signify that there is a god it signifies that no one may ever change these things.