Religion should not be taken out of schools

Religion - : (1) an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods (2) The Belief in a God or group of Gods (3) an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

School - Any institution at which instruction is given in a particular discipline or multiple disciplines.

Rounds will proceed as follows

(1) Rules
(2) Opening Arguments
(3) Rebuttals, rebuilding points, closing statements

(1) Opening Arguments
(2) Rebuttals, rebuilding points, closing statements
(3) Shall type "No round as agreed upon"

(1) Failure to type "No round as agreed upon" shall result in a full 7 point loss of points due to adversary having an additional round.
(2) Votes shall be accompanied with a valid and proper RFD
(3) Forfeiture or a round and or multiple rounds will result in the loss of a conduct and could result in a full 7 point drop at the discretion of judges.
(4) 10k Words

There are several reasons why we should NOT teach religion in Public Schools. The First: It is public the other people from other Religions pay there taxes too. 2: There is no time for Religion in school. If you think about it which do you think is more important for a child to learn to use in life Religion/ math, social studies, Language arts , or yes Science (Which in my state only teaches physics and chemistry.) 3. You won't change their minds all you will do is piss the other people off. No I do not believe in teaching Religion in school, but yes I do believe in God and I AM a CHRISTIAN.

I am going to keep this short at simple due to a lack of a response from my adversary.

Religion being taught does not negate empirical evidence

I shall concede this point right off the start because I agree entirely with the stance, that religion has no place in the science room and some other class rooms. Creationism and other beliefs should not be taught as alternative beliefs in school. I concede this because it does not effect my my contentions.

Keep in Mine we are also talking about school. School can include elementary, highschool, and colleges. [1]

Alternative ways to teach and educate children about religion

While we need to separate children from the notion that creationism and other such beliefs are valid and empirical forms of evidence, we should not separate them from learning about different cultures and their beliefs. Learning about how the world operates is not just based in math, and science, but can be way broader. Teaching them about how different cultures interact with each other and what the believe goes beyond the scope of a history class and be taught in a course about religion. This is no different than some college classes, and can even be offered as an elective in high school. A majority of colleges already have this in place. [2]

Taking religion out of school is a violation of freedom of religion

Freedom of religion is a constitutional right that is guaranteed to us in the United States of America[3][4][5]. I am keep this within that scope of location so that this argument holds sound.

1st Amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." [6]

We can teach religion as an elective in school and help educate students about the world around them. It serves no harm and is not forcing them to take the class, but offers it as a valid credit for those wanting to learn about different world religions. This does not effect any empirical evidence being taught in other classes, and is a class all by itself.

My adversary kept his argument so short, that I do not feel the need to go more in depth than this.

Oh I'm sorry well then I agree with you sorry. LOL

I accept your concession and thank your for the debate. Thank you for attempting :)

Posted by Mikal 2 years ago
There that encompasses everything as a resolution. It still leaves it broad enough to meet my criteria as well.
Posted by incredebater 2 years ago
Students being 'taught about religion' is simply a history class - there must be a very interesting Con.
Posted by Mikal 2 years ago
Don't over think the resolution. I will reword it though. They should be taught about it, the same as with any other class
Posted by Mikal 2 years ago
Posted by whiteflame 2 years ago
Ditto to KnightArtorias's question. Also, are you supporting the resolution that ALL religions should be taught in schools? Would there be an overarching structure that teachers will be required to follow, or will they be left to their own devices?
Posted by KnightArtorias 2 years ago
Are you suggesting students should be taught ABOUT religion, in an anthropological sense? Or are you suggesting students should be taught religion, as a true reality of life?
Posted by Mikal 2 years ago
Resolution - It should be taught in school. This is not limiting it a specific class but saying it should be taught.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
In which classes at school?
Vote Placed by Valladarex 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Concession, and good arguments by pro. Also sourced.