briebrie7
Quinoas

Religion shouldn't be forced on young children

briebrie7

Pro

Most people around the world are part of some religion, many are religious as a family, I believe that religion should not be decided on, or discussed (between child and parent) until they are at least 7 years old.

I was born into a religious family, I wasn't aloud to believe in fairy's, santa clause, magic, ghosts (or any other kind after death like thing) and many other things that I child thinks are real, I was told that Jesus was real, my family told me to believe in him, to read the Bible, to pray and say sorry to the lord whenever I did something wrong and to never believe, be part or, read or see anything that would be "offensive" to the lord. I missed out on watching many childhood tv shows and games because the character was strange and "bought darkness from saitan to the house". My childhood was so different, I missed out on so many things! Children who are bought up in religions don't have any choice, they are forced to believe that not following the religion is wrong. If my family was still living with my grandma, I wouldn't be aloud to not go to a christian school, parties would be not aloud, I would have to go to church every sunday (don't I need time to sleep, do homework and catch up with my friends?), read the bible and pray every night, I wouldn't be aloud to say anything even remotely wrong like crap or damn, I wouldn't be aloud to wear short dresses, I couldn't watch cool movies that come out because they have swearing in them and the list goes on and on! (I am 13 years old so I still go to school and everything)

So many children have to live like this, not knowing that in the future, they will realize just how ruined their childhood was. I believe in ghosts, I find forensic science interesting, I swear when I am angry, I want to be in relationships, I listen to normal music, I watch normal movies, so many people my age miss out on doing normal teenage things.

Children should only be given the OPTION of religion when they can make a decision they can stick by, for me that is around 7 or 8 years old.
Quinoas

Con

briebrie7

Pro

You put in your argument I already put mine :)
Quinoas

Con

When young kids go to church they do not care.I will admit I agree with you that religion shouldn't be forced on young children I just challenged myself to this debate. I will point out that legally parents have that right.
briebrie7

Pro

But religion isn't just going to church, it consists of so much, young children don't just blow it off like its nothing, children won't know what to believe, so they would take in the whole bible and the church and what their parents tell them to do as something they have to do, its interesting to them, so they may believe it, but children shouldn't decide on their whole lives by what their parents think is real or not real, or what they think it wrong or right, you should always do whats right of course, and always listen to your parents, but you shouldn't have to decide on what you will believe in and take up all your heart and soul to be part of, straight away, just because your parents do.
Quinoas

Con

Quinoas forfeited this round.
briebrie7

Pro

Yay I won!! :)
Quinoas

Con

Quinoas forfeited this round.
briebrie7

Pro

briebrie7 forfeited this round.
Quinoas

Con

Quinoas forfeited this round.
Posted by devient.genie 4 years ago
devient.genie
samurai:

"atheism is forced on children all the time in public schools or at least middle and high schools"

Lets say we have a list of all the gods that humans have believed in throughout time. zeus, horus, romulos, jesus, allah, attis, mithra, osiris, etc etc

Next to each god there is a box to check "yes" or "no" for the ones you believe are real and the ones you believe are fairy tales.

After we both turn in our lists, there will be a 99.9% similarity. We will both check "no" on all of them, except some will have one "yes", just one.

So we are both atheist, I just went one god further and checked No, next to the slave supporting sexist!

Many will say they are right because since the earth and all its creatures are so complex and diverse there had to be a creator.

However, when we take that logic and apply intelligence to it, here is what they are saying:

"The human brain is more complex than any supercomputer, so its obvious the reason for everything is going to have 12 disciples, 13 would just be stupid :)

"The fact that we are the only creature that is as smart as we are obviously, and clearly shows that th reason for everything will be crucified and rise after 3 days, 4 days is just stupid :)

"The earth is so complex and diverse, it couldnt have just come from nothing, therefore, jesus is my savior, zeus would be stupid"

"If you have nothing, then you get nothing, so that automatically means that the reason for everything has a circumcision covenant with men, but no covenant of any kind with women"

"Humans are so complex, look at the eyeball, our veins, everything is just right, so it makes perfect sense that life was created by a being who can convict you of thought crimes such as lust"

The preceeding message has been brought to you by our faithful sponsors, CHECK and MATE :)
Posted by devient.genie 4 years ago
devient.genie
Parents are providing malnourishment to their children, millions are poisoned every year . A man truly interested in his childs best interests, is Not only vigilante concerning their nutritional diet, but also their intellectual diet.

As a parent you can indoctrinate your children with What to think thru religion or you can teach them how to think thru logic, facts, evidence, common sense, proof , reasoning, probability, thinking, intelligence, feasibility, confirmation, observation, science experiments, testing, wisdom, likelihood, knowledge, rationality.

Open ones mind, awareness, not being a complete moron their entire life, trusting yourself, believing in yourself, and doing good because you want to be accountable to yourself, Not because a sky daddy is watching and waiting to give you a scooby snack when you die :) There is far more virtue in doing good because you want to Not because a sky daddy is watching :)

If you believe that all the stars and galaxies, the reason for everything became a savior by coming to earth in the form of a man only to be killed to show love and forgiveness, you are brainwashed by the poison.

Why did you make all those galaxies and why are you so petty and anal about the land of israel?

These questions create the same result as asking yourself how santa claus makes it to each house while each kid is sleeping taking in account the time zones, once you understand the time zones and the sheer number of houses he would have to hit, its over, you have cracked the code on the fairy tale.

However, in the case of your religion and faith, you will not apply such meaningful questions. Medical marijuana is a blessing to millions in severe pain, seizures, and a plethora of other benefits, it can even be administered in liquid form for children suffering. Mankind cant evolve with a ball and chain of outdated beliefs infecting its govt, schools, and childrens minds! :)
Posted by BigSky 4 years ago
BigSky
If you want to debate this for real....
Posted by samurai 4 years ago
samurai
atheism is forced on children all the time in public schools or at least middle and high schools.
Posted by staraa 4 years ago
staraa
yes I also think that religion should not be forced on young children because it just creates difference between our mind and just separate us from each other. If they are not forced then most of the problems of our world would be solved.
Posted by cilla_98 4 years ago
cilla_98
Ever since I was an infant, my parents had me go to church and Sunday school and such. I grew used to it, and I knew all the stories by heart. But, they didn't mean much to me. I didn't honestly have a relationship with the Lord. No, no, I just listened to what I was taught, but I never truly absorbed the message. However, when I entered the fifth grade, the teaching became more in-depth and real to me. I actually understood the Scriptures and Message behind it all, and I could fully comprehend what God wanted to say to me. I'm unsure of which side I agree with, since I see the argument both ways. Ah well, I'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Posted by WithoutMercy 4 years ago
WithoutMercy
I think that it is an excellent idea for a debate, but I do agree that religious ideals should not be forced upon young children, so I can't debate with you.