ghostdance11
FaustThe21st

Religion shouldn't be taken out of/banned from schools

Updated: 1 week ago Status: Post Voting Period

ghostdance11

Pro

Religious education should not be taken out of schools., although there does need to be a separation of church and state, students need to be exposed to many different types of cultures and beliefs systems, even if they do not believe the same things. My school has a moment of silence in the morning for those who wish to pray, and I take advantage of it every day. I love learning about other religions, even though I am strong in my own beliefs. I do not believe that it offends me or others by doing so. Many social studies classes have shifted away form the religious curriculum to be politically correct. This is not okay. Humans evolved with religion, regardless your personal stances.
FaustThe21st

Con

First off, I'd like to introduce myself. Hello, my username on this site is Faust, and I would humbly disagree with your stance.
To begin, I would like to clear a common misconception that you have, religious practice is NOT discouraged but encouraged.
There are various clubs for any student who wishes to express their beliefs with other people, and those clubs span from middle school up to college, (I know this from personal experience and from clear cut data.) And I agree with you to some extent it is the first amendment right that allows for expression of religion, or expression of a different stance on the topic.
You can practice your religion in your church, home, club , etc. However, I do not agree when you say that religious practice should be taught in school because there are many beliefs out there, and not only is this IMPOSING your beliefs upon somebody but it could lead to some uncomfortable situations. Imagine this, a few years ago an anti-religious movement started that sought to teach satanism (actual occult satanism to children across the country.) This caused an outrage, because of the disagreements in religious practice not only will teaching religion in class cause conflict and divide between students, it will cause controversy between parents, and will not help the learning experience progress. For all of this reasons I humbly disagree with your stance.

Thank You

https://thesatanictemple.com...
Here is the campaign mentioned in my argument

https://www.google.com...

Here is the schools response to all the controversy, as you can see, teaching religion in class would help outright ban any religous practice in schools. That is why what you porpose is a bad idea.
ghostdance11

Pro

I never said that religion was necessarily discouraged. I am a member of FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), so I understand that there are clubs and such to practice in. I understand there are churches. I wholly agree in the separation of church and state for the most part. What I am saying is that a lot of schools, especially in my community, have begun to shift away from religious history in history/social studies classes. More and more of our curriculum is becoming politically correct. (I have more in the comment section). I'm not saying we need to take region classes, I am saying that religious history is cultural history. Ancient history revolves around religion. No matter what your beliefs are, this is undeniably true. I think that subjects like history, especially when dealing with The Middle Ages, The Renaissance, and ancient Asia wouldn't be the same without going in depth with religion. You can't say they did it "for religious reasons" without actually explaining the beliefs they followed. I know about the Satanism movement, and I know it caused outrage. The hard part is is that the schools can't appear to be swaying the children to believe a certain way. Instead of saying "Charlie worships _____ and that is good/bad" we instead teach it historically. As in, who was Buddha? Jesus? Moses? Men that are important historically, but won't sway someone's religious views.
FaustThe21st

Con

People are exposed to different belief and religious systems, even in the classroom, I don't support SJW culture. However, religion needs to stay in clubs not classrooms. We can teach people to respect other beliefs
But when you go in depth like you say, controversy emerges. We can't talk about Jesus, Moses, Mohammed, etc, without talking about faith or popular belief. With these differences, there are many cases of controversy that come with it. (Ex. A parent who doesn't want their kids to learn about paganism.)

There are thousands of religions, and we can't cover them all. Thus, many people are going to complain about having no representation in schools, this leads to less resources, time, and money as schools try to fill in that void and demand and teach kids about different religions. (What use is there in teaching a Satanist about Christianity? None, all it does is create controversy.) ALL THAT TIME AND EFFORT COULD HAVE BEEN SPENT ON SOMETHING MORE PRACTICAL.
Besides there is NO evidence that points to people like Jesus being historical figures (look up historical inconsistencies in the
bible). The same can be said for most other prophets. So essentially what you have here is a proven controversial topic in classrooms that is proven to hurt schools, with no practical use in real life what so ever, and above all else a hypothetical situation. (As you yourself admit that religious practice is encouraged in schools.)

Finally, if people are already given these opportunities to learn about other cultures such as in clubs, they would have done so already. Unfortunately, there are not many people who are willing to open their mind and actually care about what you believe. For example, in my school, I am always called an atheist even though I am an agnostic. I have always drawn a line as to what the difference is, but at the end of the day all most people care about is their own beliefs.

Now that we are at the end of the debate, I would like to thank all of you for your time including my opponent, I know how frustrating these debates can be.
Posted by imjustsomeopinion 1 week ago
imjustsomeopinion
religion should not be taken out of schools nor be forced upon others. people should be introduced to both concepts and then make their own decision.
Posted by XDM 1 week ago
XDM
I can agree with that. Political correctness is often taken past its own goals and becomes a negative instead of an intended positive and that seems to be the trend of the public school system. That being said, the opposite is just as bad.
Posted by ghostdance11 1 week ago
ghostdance11
Exactly. It seems to me we are basically on the same side. I don't want to teach religion in school just to teach it, but I think that educators shouldn't shy away from it just to avoid offended students/parents. I admit it is uncomfortable to talk about Jesus in a way that isn't reverent, but it is needed to understand major parts of world history.
Posted by XDM 1 week ago
XDM
To reiterate:
"I agree with that, which is why I'm not against learning about religion in the context of the historical impact it had. I am against a class which ONLY talks about religion and its teachings, not its significance to the world. I am no better off learning all about the idiosyncrasies of the Quran but I am better off learning about the Golden Age of Islam and the beliefs behind it. I think the distinction is very important. I'm fine with a class talking about the reasons and beliefs of the parties on both sides of the Crusades, I'm not fine with a class devoted to Christian/Jewish/Muslim/Pagan ext.. dogma.

So yeah, there is no real harm to be had by talking about religion in a practical sense in a school. There is, however, a lot of potential harm when a public school actively and obviously prefers one religion over all the rest OR a school that teaches dogma instead of something academically important."

Religion should NOT be censored completely, but its inclusion should be limited to its academic importance
Posted by FaustThe21st 1 week ago
FaustThe21st
I agree that skepticism is a much should be encouraged. I can relate to being of Christian background and being skeptic of what your parents believe. However, we are debating the practice of religion in school, and I simply state that there is a time and place to teach religious dogma and etc, (even in schools.) However, the classroom should be a place of skepticism and should not reinforce any theological or religious beliefs.
Posted by Iacov 1 week ago
Iacov
I agree and if the school system were to provide religion education it would be much more available that a child forms their own opinions.
Posted by ghostdance11 1 week ago
ghostdance11
Also, by saying the easiest way to avoid is to not talk about it is basically political correctness at it's core. I don't think at younger levels we need heavy religious courses, I'm only saying that it shouldn't be censored so much at school. It doesn't need to be taught in the sense of "this is true" and "this is wrong", it should be taught only to show decisions of people/cultures in history that came directly from their beliefs. Notice my debate isn't titled "Religion should be put into schools", it's that "religion SHOULDN'T be taken out of schools". Specifically, not any more than has already been done.
Posted by XDM 1 week ago
XDM
Yes but it is not the role of the government to dictate how a parent raises a child unless it relates to the child's health. The public school system is the responsibility of the government.

My parents are staunch Catholics and I am not, I am however well versed in christian theology and its dogma.The difference between me and a friend of mine who just followed what his parents said is that i decided to make my own mind up. To investigate for myself and evaluate what I found.

I think that^ is a much better skill to learn in school.
Posted by FaustThe21st 1 week ago
FaustThe21st
There are opportunities to share you beliefs, what I think schools should do is teach religious acceptance, but teaching religious practice in class is not probable because of controversy and the ample amounts of religious beliefs. From Conservative Christianity to paganism there are to many religions to teach. All in all while religious practice in school should be allowed, it should not take place in the classroom because of reasons I stated religion, should not be taking place in the classroom
Posted by Iacov 1 week ago
Iacov
I feel it would be at that point that a child would be at the mercy of their parents, who often can for a child into one set way of thinking thus insuring the continuation of mindless dogma without open thought.