McBraas
ProneDeathBlade

Religion today is necessary, for without it we would lack proper moral values.

McBraas

Con

This is something I often found put forward, mostly - but not exclusively - by Christians. If there was no religion to guide our moral views with its rules of absolute morality (indisputable and un-debatable morality,) humanity would not be able to manage its moral outlook and possibly descend to anarchy.

I wish to discuss this without hostility, please. It's gonna be fun^^
I will now put forth my initial statement / argument:

Now, I come out as con on this topic, because the idea of modern humanity being incapable of developing proper moral views without religion is absurd. Today morality is discussed, reasoned and argued more than ever before in politics, every-day life and on the internet. Due to the massive amount of knowledge at our fingertips, most people now possess the ability to develop reasoned morality for themselves.

Hit me.
ProneDeathBlade

Pro

Before I begin, I would like to thank my opponent for such an interesting topic. I look forward to an entertaining debate.
Much is lauded about the so-called 'morality' of religion today. I am here to prove all those people wrong. Im sure we all know of the War on Terror, against the Muslim jihad, but I wonder how many of us know why these fanatics are committing such heinous acts? It is because their religion tells them to do it, their imams preach hatred of all other religions. Or look at the ethnic violence in South-East Asia, where i happen to live. Every day in the news you hear about some hate crime or another, of Hindus killing Muslims and Muslims killing Hindus. I believe I am right in saying that religion, more than anything, is the cause of violence in today's world.
Note: I am atheist, and therefore not biased towards any particular religon, to avoid misunderstandings.
McBraas

Con

McBraas forfeited this round.
ProneDeathBlade

Pro

ProneDeathBlade forfeited this round.
McBraas

Con

McBraas forfeited this round.
ProneDeathBlade

Pro

ProneDeathBlade forfeited this round.
McBraas

Con

McBraas forfeited this round.
ProneDeathBlade

Pro

ProneDeathBlade forfeited this round.
Posted by ProneDeathBlade 5 years ago
ProneDeathBlade
oooooohhhhhhh nooo, i thought i was con. that awkward moment when you post an argument for the opponent.
Posted by ProneDeathBlade 5 years ago
ProneDeathBlade
Please, no trolling. Let's all try and have a decent debate.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 5 years ago
InVinoVeritas
"Proper moral values"? That's completely subjective. What an egregiously written resolution.
Posted by adontimasu 5 years ago
adontimasu
I'd accept, but I agree with you. xD
Posted by McBraas 5 years ago
McBraas
@KeytarHero

I would initially agree that it is hard to defend, but I wish with passion that someone have some hardcore arguments for this matter. I like thought experiments and I figure that if someone possess good arguments, it'll be fun to try and figure out a way to argue back. Assuming that no one can defend the opposite is in many stations quite common, but it seems short-minded to me, so I have to try and give other people a chance.

You're also right about your statement on religion. I wrote a "dissertation-like" school paper on whether atheism could be defined as a religion and therefore also had to define religion. My end result was that a religion could consist of several key elements and a certain undefined number of them was necessary in order to achieve religion-hood. Atheism (as well as theism and deism) is merely one of those elements.

As such, you ideology could include several of the key aspects from religion, but not necessarily be one.
Posted by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
God isn't necessarily of religion. You can be nonreligious but believe in God.

For example, Deist is not a religion. Deists believe in God but that God is unconcerned with human affairs. They don't worship God or have any rituals or anything.

Plus, Braas, you're welcome to try and debate anything you want. It's not touchy because it's religion. I'm a Christian and I debate and discuss my religion frequently. But it's possible you may have understood those other Christians' arguments. Otherwise, if you're not misunderstanding it, those other Christians weren't making a very defensible argument.
Posted by McBraas 5 years ago
McBraas
Well, that's kind of irrelevant, don't you think?
Posted by The_Fool_on_the_hill 5 years ago
The_Fool_on_the_hill
@keytaro.
The Fool: God is of religion. Its an ideological entity.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
The Fool: I have heard this argument.
Posted by McBraas 5 years ago
McBraas
Dear lord.

@The_Fool_on_the_hill
I am not a troll, but I wish to debate. I found this website yesterday and figured that here one could debate anything without it being socially unacceptable.

@Yuiru
Burn!

@KeytarHero, Nur-Ab-Sal, Axiom, YYW

I've not created a Straw-man. I watch a lot of debate and I try to debate a lot. The topic is an argument typically, but not exclusively, brought forth by people on the Christian side as they argue against Atheism. That means in no way that it is an official Christian, or religious, way of thinking. It means that some people have put forth the argument independently and it is therefore a way of thinking that some people maintain.

Had I said the debate was "running makes people smart" and that it was most commonly, but not exclusively, put forth by the Irish, I am giving a demographic. I am not saying that all Irish, or even a quarter of the Irish believe this. I am saying that when the statement is made, I find that it is usually made by an Irish person.

But now I feel like people are getting all touchy just because the topic is religion. The point of the debate is to take on a specific view and then argue for it. Now, if you can't do that, fine; then just don't accept the challenge.

@YYW
Thanks, I will google that sh!t.