SperoXVII
ashoup

Religion?

ashoup has forfeited round #4.

SperoXVII

Pro

Should religion be practiced?

Round 1. Should religion practiced school?
Round 2. Should religion be practiced in general?
Round 3. Does religion benefit humanity?
round 4. Final Thoughts and Statements.

I will be Pro for this Debate.

My opinion on this topic for round 1 is, yes schools should teach religion but keep it at a minimum, basically i’m trying to say that teachers should not go through every little detail about a religion, but just explain the beliefs and how the religion is practiced, for example if you're teaching students about christianity, don’t read the bible to them, but explain what the bible is about. Religion in school should be "Educated not Preached"

ashoup

Con

I go con on the first point. I advocate that you immediately loose this round off of the fact that you do not answer the question correctly.

prac"tice
noun

the actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method as opposed to theories about such application or use.

You are not advocating for the practice of belief but the education of belief. I am allowed to advocate for the teaching of religion because that is not practice but you may not. With that being said I absorb all of your arguments onto the negations side and urge a strong negative win for 2 reasons.

1: since i absorbed all of my opponents arguments it is implied that he agrees with me therefore my opponent believe that I should win this round as well.

2: Since the arguments were absorbed my opponent is not left with any actual arguments.

A negative ballot but be initiated.
SperoXVII

Pro

Ah should religion be practiced in general. Well to answer that we first need to know what religion is. Religion is a particular system of faith and worship. Basically belief, or a way of living.

History has been marked by religious wars and conflicts, in the name of one set of beliefs or another, for centuries; people have been persecuted, hunted, tortured and killed as a result of their wish to believe what they want to. Now, as a civilised society, we have learned to accept that every person has a right to follow whichever path they choose without fear of reprisal.

There is an Act in america callled freedom of religion. However, the Act also specifically prohibits the breaking of domestic laws and limits the exercise of this freedom to those activities that would not threaten public security and would not infringe on the rights of others who may not hold the same beliefs.

http://www.abouthumanrights.co.uk...

And i totally agre with this act. So in my opinion Yes religion should be practiced because it is only belief and people have freedom to believe in whatever they want to believe in. Ofcourse belief should not go as far is the harming of others or breaking the social order but it should atleast be used as a way of living or a meditation tool.

ashoup

Con

Concede to round 2. Since I won round 1 I simply have to win the next 2 and win. I will be using argumentation calculus. I urge affirmative vote on this round.
SperoXVII

Pro

Some religion benefits i thought of and researched that i strongly believe are

1. Religion brings meaning to people’s lives. Without a sense of meaning, people’s lives can seem empty, causing depression, angst, or anxiety. Human beings need some form of motivating force. As Jesus said: “Man cannot live by bread alone.

2. Religion can bring a sense of hope and inspiration to people, who otherwise might feel despondent, or desperate.

3. Many charities are run by religious organizations, providing essential help to some of the most needy people on the planet.

4. Religion can provide social coherence, with people sharing common aims, values, and moral systems.

5. Holy teachings and books, such as the bible, koran, or Hindu Vedas, contain great wisdom which is beneficial to all mankind and provide useful points of reference

6.
Religion has inspired some of the world’s greatest art, architecture, writing, and sculpture.

7. In a changing world, religion provides a sense of continuity and a reliable foundation stone. Rites and rituals provide comfort and structure for people as they ride the rollercoaster of life.

8. Religion can act to curb the worst excesses of man’s instinctive, animal nature.

9. Churches, temples, synagogues etc provide places for the community to meet, organize and socialize together.

https://soapboxie.com...

There are alot of ways religion benefits society. And probably alot of ways it disturbs society. but the reality of the situation is which side (Pro or Con) does it affect more so i will be waiting for my opponent's rebuttal to my argument and we will let the spectators decide.
ashoup

Con

1. Religion promotes tribalism. Infidel, heathen, heretic. Religion divides insiders from outsiders. Rather than assuming good intentions, adherents often are taught to treat outsiders with suspicion. "Be ye not unequally yoked with unbelievers," says the Christian Bible. "They wish that you disbelieve as they disbelieve, and then you would be equal; therefore take not to yourselves friends of them," says the Koran (Sura 4:91). At best, teachings like these discourage or even forbid the kinds of friendship and intermarriage that help clans and tribes become part of a larger whole. At worst, outsiders are seen as enemies of God and goodness, potential agents of Satan, lacking in morality and not to be trusted. Believers might huddle together, anticipating martyrdom. When simmering tensions erupt, societies fracture along sectarian fault lines.

2. Religion anchors believers to the Iron Age. Concubines, magical incantations, chosen people, stonings . . . The Iron Age was a time of rampant superstition, ignorance, inequality, racism, misogyny, and violence. Slavery had God"s sanction. Women and children were literally possessions of men. Warlords practiced scorched earth warfare. Desperate people sacrificed animals, agricultural products, and enemy soldiers as burnt offerings intended to appease dangerous gods.
Sacred texts including the Bible, Torah and Koran all preserve and protect fragments of Iron Age culture, putting a god"s name and endorsement on some of the very worst human impulses. Any believer looking to excuse his own temper, sense of superiority, warmongering, bigotry, or planetary destruction can find validation in writings that claim to be authored by God. Today, humanity"s moral consciousness is evolving, grounded in an ever deeper and broader understanding of the Golden Rule. But many conservative believers can"t move forward. They are anchored to the Iron Age. This pits them against change in a never-ending battle that consumes public energy and slows creative problem solving.

3. Religion makes a virtue out of faith. Trust and obey for there"s no other way to be happy in Jesus. So sing children in Sunday schools across America. The Lord works in mysterious ways, pastors tell believers who have been shaken by horrors like brain cancer or a tsunami. Faith is a virtue. As science eats away at territory once held by religion, traditional religious beliefs require greater and greater mental defenses against threatening information. To stay strong, religion trains believers to practice self-deception, shut out contradictory evidence, and trust authorities rather than their own capacity to think. This approach seeps into other parts of life. Government, in particular, becomes a fight between competing ideologies rather than a quest to figure out practical, evidence-based solutions that promote wellbeing.

4. Religion diverts generous impulses and good intentions. Feeling sad about Haiti? Give to our mega-church. Crass financial appeals during times of crisis thankfully are not the norm, but religion does routinely redirect generosity in order to perpetuate religion itself. Generous people are encouraged to give till it hurts to promote the church itself rather than the general welfare. Each year, thousands of missionaries throw themselves into the hard work of saving souls rather than saving lives or saving our planetary life support system. Their work, tax free, gobbles up financial and human capital.

5. Religion teaches helplessness. Que sera, sera"what will be will be. Let go and let God.We"ve all heard these phrases, but sometimes we don"t recognize the deep relationship between religiosity and resignation. In the most conservative sects of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, women are seen as more virtuous if they let God manage their family planning. Droughts, poverty and cancer get attributed to the will of God rather than bad decisions or bad systems; believers wait for God to solve problems they could solve themselves.
SperoXVII

Pro

Ima eat cha butt
Posted by SperoXVII 3 months ago
SperoXVII
@Stonehe4rt

Thank you, i was thinking the same thing but it was hard for me to put it into words like you just did. Idk why this guy debates like this and i wish he never accepted this debate. Technically i won the first 2 but i will let him dream and continue my rebuttal to round 3.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 3 months ago
Stonehe4rt
Con, you didnt win Round 1. While you may agree on one aspect with Pro, that doesn't mean that his arguments are null. In fact, by you agreeing with him he could say the same thing that he "absorbed you arguments". Lol what even.

I am saddened to see that people accept debates and try to use these "technicalities" to "win" without even debating their side of the argument. Con is just trying to add an extra number of wins under himself rather than debate the actual topic and prove himself right.

So rather than winning this debate, Con practically forfeited by offering literally no debate accept agreeing with Pro. Some would argue that teaching religion is also practicing it.