debate777
beem0r

Religions should be criticized!

Con Tied Pro

debate777

Con

Many religions, like scientology, are being criticized these days because many people say it is a crazy religion! If people want to have a different religion than other people, let them!! If they want to believe in gay marriage, science, etc., let them! Other people can't stop them from being who they are! As a Catholic, I believe that God made them who they are for a reason, and that settles it! Anyone who can't see the basic truth in this, challenge me!
beem0r

Pro

Many people, like beem0r, are being criticized these days because they criticize religion! If someone wants to criticize religion, let them!! If they want to believe that what you believe should be criticized, spreads hate, is dangerous to society, etc., let them! Other people can't stop them from being who they are! As an Atheist, I believe that their upbringing and genetics made them who they are for a reason, and that settles it! Anyone who can't see the basic truth to this, start a debate that is hypocritical!

I slightly modified your opening statement, I thought it could use some adjustments. ;)

If that wasn't enough for round 1, I'll add something:

If I said I saw a ten-eyed jellyfish floating above my monitor, people would criticize me. Of course, I realize that this doesn't mean they SHOULD criticize me for it. Perhaps they shouldn't, but....

If the jellyfish started telling me things that led me to start wars, oppress people, etc., people would criticize me, and they would have _great_ reasons to. It's not necessarily the jellyfish that's the problem here, it's the things the jellyfish is making me do.

Anyone who can't see the basic truth in this, rebut me! ;)
debate777

Con

First of all, NOBODY will FORCE me to do anything!! If somebody wants to criticize my religion, do it in your mind, not in my face! If somebody decides to criticize my religion in my face, then they are a very rude person, don't you think???!!!
beem0r

Pro

I think you missed my point.

I was pointing out the hypocritical nature of your statement. Consider:

You believe that religions should not be criticized
You believe that those who criticize religion should be criticized (I assume, because you are currently doing it).

What makes a religion any worse to criticize than my own sincerely held belief that religion should be criticized?

And even though some might consider it rude, I believe that the necessity would far outweigh this. Consider:

Since you brought up Scientology earlier, I'll use it as an example.
The church of Scientology psychologically ruins the lives of its followers - making them think that they _need_ expensive church-provided services to get through life. Scientology often rips its members off for hundreds, if not thousands of dollars; it is truly a vile scam, and should be criticized as such. If any other non-religious organization was doing the same thing, I'm sure you'd be right with me in criticizing it. If not, please explain why. If so, please explain why the fact that it's a religion should grant it automatic safety from all criticisms.
debate777

Con

I think you missed MY point! I was merely trying to say that IF a person criticizes another person's religion, they are not very nice, but you don't have to say it out loud!!

Also, about OTHER religions. If I was criticizing it, we wouldn't be having this debate, now would we? If scientology does those things to people, and if the people STILL follow that religion, then so be it! All I'm trying to say is that religions SHOULDN'T BE CRITICIZED!!!!!!

( About your belief; that is your belief as a person, not as a member of your religion, I assume? Correct me if I'm wrong)!!
beem0r

Pro

>>I think you missed MY point! I was merely trying to say that IF a person criticizes another person's religion, they are not very nice, but you don't have to say it out loud!!<<

If _anything_ is doing things like scamming people for hundreds or thousands of dollars, spreading racial hatred, spreading war, etc, it deserves to be criticized. Openly. That's not the kind of thing we just sit back and watch, and the fact that it's religion gives it no more right to not be criticized. If so, you haven't clarified what gives religion the inability to be criticized.

>>Also, about OTHER religions. If I was criticizing it, we wouldn't be having this debate, now would we? If scientology does those things to people, and if the people STILL follow that religion, then so be it! All I'm trying to say is that religions SHOULDN'T BE CRITICIZED!!!!!!<<

You still haven't said why. ANYTHING that rips people off for thousands of dollars should be openly criticized in order to expose it. ANYTHING that causes wars, ANYTHING that promotes intolerance, ANYTHING that hinders helpful scientific advances for no good reason, etc. _should be openly criticized_. By not criticizing radical Islam, we are saying that it's OK to believe that crashing a plane into a building is a righteous act. If anyone has a problem with the effects of _any_ belief or institution, they _should_ openly criticize it to show their discontent. There's nothing special about religion that grants it a license to commit atrocities, rip people off, slow the advancement of science, etc. with no criticism.

>>About your belief; that is your belief as a person, not as a member of your religion, I assume? Correct me if I'm wrong)!!<<
It's my belief as a person, but you've failed to show why a belief that I came up with is any less important than a belief that a church came up with. The fact that a belief makes supernatural assertions does not grant it any special privileges, nor should it. If a belief tends towards truth, it will stand up against criticism.
Posted by senorsavas 9 years ago
senorsavas
Keis1123 - You're offended by my beliefs and opinions? If your faith isn't strong enough to overcome the opinion of one person look within your heart for the answer.

In my opinion, religion is based on a bunch of man-made, and yes make-believe stories. I'm not saying religion doesn't exist and there are not millions of devoted followers. Of course that's not the case. I'm referring to the stories in the Bible, the basis for Christian religion, which I believe to be untrue, fabricated, and pieced together by a sub-par editor.

I'm not saying you can't have faith or shouldn't believe and practice whatever you want. I'm all for freedom of religion and freedom of speech. If you really believe in religion 100% than you must have an enormous supply of faith and you really shouldn't be shaken and offended when someone criticizes religion.

I have no problem if you attempt to poke holes in atheism or whatever you want.
Posted by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
You can't say it's' make-believe.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
senorsavas , What a judgmental offensive comment. I could say the same for an atheist , but I don't . I respect everyones right to believe what they want.
Posted by senorsavas 9 years ago
senorsavas
Debate777 -

All Religion is bad. It kills people and causes hate. It's also man made and make believe. You know, like Winnie the Pooh.

Enlightened people will make fun of you for believing in and perpetuating religious hogwash that causes so much harm in the world. They will openly criticize you. Get used to it. They have every right to do so and you have every right to do the same to them. However, at some point in your life you might realize that your side of the debate is weak and their side of the debate is factual and real.

Let me get you started with one example....
According to the Bible, nothing existed until Adam and Eve....so the dinosaurs must have lived roughly 6,000 years ago. According to science and institutes of higher education the dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. Do you believe the Bible or Science? See how easy it is to criticize religion?

People aren't criticizing religion just for fun. They're doing it because we live in an enlighted age of science. Religion has been exposed as a bunch of hogwash so it gets everything it deserves.
Posted by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
If religions lead their members to kill people based on their ideologies, let them!!
Hahah.
Posted by tenjusato 9 years ago
tenjusato
well what if religion kills people?
Vote Placed by JUDGE 9 years ago
JUDGE
debate777beem0rTied
Vote Placed by HarlequinTears 9 years ago
HarlequinTears
debate777beem0rTied
Vote Placed by THEmanlyDEBATER3 9 years ago
THEmanlyDEBATER3
debate777beem0rTied
Vote Placed by bigbass3000 9 years ago
bigbass3000
debate777beem0rTied
Vote Placed by AntiPatriot 9 years ago
AntiPatriot
debate777beem0rTied
Vote Placed by Sanchez 9 years ago
Sanchez
debate777beem0rTied
Vote Placed by Grandma 9 years ago
Grandma
debate777beem0rTied
Vote Placed by jimmy_slay 9 years ago
jimmy_slay
debate777beem0rTied
Vote Placed by theaceb 9 years ago
theaceb
debate777beem0rTied
Vote Placed by tenjusato 9 years ago
tenjusato
debate777beem0rTied